SFPD Stops Mario Woods March Near Gates to Super Bowl City

Save ArticleSave Article

Failed to save article

Please try again

This article is more than 7 years old.
A march protesting the fatal police shooting of Mario Woods were stopped by a line of San Francisco officers about a block away from the Super Bowl City. (Alex Emslie/KQED)

More than 300 people peacefully marched from San Francisco's Union Square Saturday in protest of the Dec. 2 fatal officer-involved shooting of Mario Woods.

The crowd hoped to disrupt opening day of a week-long "free-to the public fan village" set up near San Francisco's waterfront.

"Welcome to Super Bowl of Justice," Daniel Landry with the Justice 4 Mario Woods Coalition said late Saturday morning, before the march left Union Square. "This department, this Police Commission, this city refuses to recognize the will of the people."

The coalition is calling for criminal charges against the five officers who fire on Woods, the firing of Police Chief Greg Suhr and an investigation of the city's Police Department.


Hundreds of police officers surrounded the small crowd as it clogged Powell Street then marched down Market Street to chants of "Fire Chief Suhr."

Police warned over a loudspeaker that protesters would be arrested if they refused to leave the street, and when the crowd approached the gates to Super Bowl City, they ran into a line of police officers with long batons and riot helmets.

Felicia Jones with the Justice 4 Mario Woods Coalition talks to SFPD Commander Robert O'Sullivan at a police line blocking the march from the gates of 'Super Bowl City' on Jan. 30.
Felicia Jones with the Justice 4 Mario Woods Coalition talks to SFPD Commander Robert O'Sullivan at a police line blocking the march from the gates of Super Bowl City on Jan. 30. (Alex Emslie/KQED)

Demonstrators moved to the sidewalk just before 12:30 p.m., but Market Street remained closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic for the next hour and 30 minutes.

"It's ridiculous," said Oakland resident Patrick Simmons. "They're trampling on our First Amendment rights. I don't think this is a good use of city money."

SFPD Commander Robert O'Sullivan told march organizer Felicia Jones that the demonstrators did not have a permit and would not be allowed to proceed.

Saturday's protest is likely just the beginning of demonstrations hoping to capture national attention as the Bay Area hosts Super Bowl 50 and related celebrations.

More than 1,000 people have responded to a social media call to attend a protest on Wednesday that will focus on San Francisco's policies on homelessness and reports of increased citation of the city's homeless leading up to the Super Bowl celebrations.

"They spent $5 million that the NFL is not going to reimburse them for to put on this party for billionaires," Simmons said. "At the same time, they’re kicking out all the homeless people. That $5 million could have gone to house some homeless people."

The crowd dwindled and police in riot gear left Market Street shortly after 2 p.m.

Some demonstrators swooped around the police blockade and regrouped inside Super Bowl City, however.


There were no reports of arrests, vandalism or violence.