Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

All You Can Eat: Cafes We Love, Cafes We’ve Lost

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Briana Loewinsohn's comic strip "Please, Don’t Forget Me: Cafes We Have Lost" (Briana Loewinsohn)

Berkeley landmark coffee shop and diner Au Coquelet closed recently, joining other iconic East Bay cafe closures, including Berkeley’s iconic Caffe Mediterraneum. In a somber comic remembering coffee shops we’ve lost, graphic novelist Briana Loewinsohn reminisces that, “[w]hat I covet most are the big, spacious cafes where you could sit for hours and work or do nothing — or a little of both.” In this edition of our ongoing series, “All You Can Eat,” we talk about what makes a great cafe, their role as crucial, low-barrier community meeting spaces and hear about your most beloved Bay Area coffee.

Related link(s)

Guests:

Henri Boulanger, barista trainer, Red Rock Coffee

Creighton Davis, co-founder, Kinfolx

Briana Loewinsohn, graphic novelist; high school art teacher; author of "Please, Don't Forget Me: Cafes We Have Lost" - a comic about now-shuttered cafes in the East Bay

Luke Tsai, food editor, KQED Arts & Culture

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Dutch Research Team Recounts the Long-Term Effects of StarvationThe Long Troubled History of US Immigration Detention and the Case for Ending It'A Chance to Harmonize' Tells the Story of the U.S. Music UnitHere’s What to Do in the Bay Area This SummerCalifornia’s Budget Deficit is $45 Billion. What's Newsom's Plan to Fix It?Doing Democracy: Trump’s Rhetoric Raises Fears of an Authoritarian Second TermTiffany Haddish Wants to ‘Curse You With Joy’Carvell Wallace Journeys Through Loss and Reunion in Memoir ‘Another Word for Love’In Transit: Amtrak's Future In CaliforniaCan Fashion Be Sustainable?