Planning a rocking New Year's Eve this year? Here are some ways to make sure you end your night right, by getting home safely:
- AAA Holiday Safe Ride Program: AAA is offering safe ride services for members and nonmembers in all nine Bay Area counties from 6 p.m. Monday through 6 a.m. Tuesday. The number to call is 855-286-9246.
- BART: Regular service will end at 8 p.m. Monday, with special service lasting from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. (with regular fares). During that time, trains will run every 20 minutes, and some will skip stops in downtown San Francisco to avoid platform overcrowding from the midnight fireworks show. Extra trains will be standing by downtown for the rush after the fireworks show, but not all lines will stop at each station. Click here for more details. BART will operate on its Sunday schedule on New Year's Day starting at 8 a.m.
- Muni: Muni is offering free rides from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., and extra buses will be running on many lines. Delays are expected around the Ferry Building due to the fireworks show, and Muni will be rerouting some lines starting around 10 p.m. until streets clear. Don't tag on with a Clipper card or MuniMobile ticket, unless you want to get charged.
- AC Transit: All AC Transit rides will be free from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. You can see their full schedule and route maps here. New Year's Day service will run on a Sunday schedule.
- SamTrans: You can ride SamTrans for free from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. On New Year's Day, SamTrans will run on its Sunday schedule.
- Caltrain: Rides on Caltrain are free from — you guessed it — 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Two additional northbound bullet trains will run early in the evening, and after the fireworks show Caltrain will run extra southbound trains. The final train will depart from San Francisco at 2 a.m. Caltrain will run its regular Sunday schedule on New Year's Day.
- VTA: Not to be left out, VTA is offering free rides from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. on its regular weekday schedule, with some exceptions and extended service on some lines.
- Capitol Corridor: Connecting bus service to Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf and Financial District/Hyatt won't be available from 6:30 p.m. until midnight. The buses will stop at the Transbay Terminal instead. On New Year's Day, Capitol Corridor will run on its holiday and weekend schedule.