Sustaining Membership has its benefits — like the ability to enjoy KQED programming without pledge interruptions. Become a Sustainer and start taking advantage of these and other benefits today.
Once you've joined as a Sustainer, accessing Pledge Free Stream is simple and easy to do.
Just follow these 3 quick steps:
1. Click the red "Log In to Pledge-Free Stream" button
2. Enter your email address and PIN (Get PIN help)
3. Click "Sign On"
And you're set! You should see "Pledge-Free Stream" blue text when you are logged in.
Pledge-Free Stream FAQ
Known Issue: Stream not working on iOS 13.3
We are aware of problems with the KQED Stream disconnecting frequently, both regular and Pledge-Free, on iOS version 13.3.
It appears to be more widespread than just KQED's stream, but our Streaming Provider is investigating.
Please check back here for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.
About Pledge-Free Stream
What is Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream is a live stream of KQED Public Radio that runs at the same time as our regular on-air fundraising drives. It is only available online and through connected devices like tablets and smartphones. Pledge-Free Stream is hosted live by a second on-air announcer and carries all regular KQED radio programming, including live news reports. It omits all fundraising breaks.
Sustaining members always have active memberships and as an exclusive benefit Sustainers are given complimentary access to Pledge-Free Stream in appreciation for their ongoing monthly support. Not yet a Sustainer? Join today and your access to Pledge-Free Stream starts as soon as you receive your email confirmation. Your access is valid through an entire fundraising drive. Pledge-Free Stream is accessible on up to four compatible web browsers via your computer, tablet and/or smartphone.
How can I get Pledge-Free Stream?
If you are not already a KQED Sustainer, you can get access today with your contribution of $60 all at once. You will immediately receive an email address with unique credentials for Pledge-Free Stream. To open the stream, follow the three quick and easy steps above.
Can I make a one-time contribution and receive Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream is a complimentary benefit for KQED members who support the programming by making on-going monthly contributions. If you would rather not join as a Sustaining Member, then it is also available with your donation of $60 or more. Please use the following link to make your one-time contribution for Pledge-Free Stream access.
What if I'm already a member, or just made a donation to KQED?
Existing KQED Sustainers receive complimentary access and should receive an email invitation with unique credentials sometime the week of January 14, 2020. Your access will start immediately once you have received your PIN. To find out if you are currently eligible to receive access to KQED's Pledge-Free Stream, email email@example.com or call (415) 553-2150.
What do I do if I did not receive my confirmation email with my Personalized PIN?
You can use our PIN Lookup Tool to find your PIN.
When you submitted your donation to KQED or became eligible for access to Pledge-Free Stream, an email confirmation would have been sent to the address you gave us. Emails are usually sent immediately, but can take up to 10 mins to reach your inbox.
If you are a KQED Sustaining Member, then you are automatically eligible for Pledge-Free Stream, and should have already received an email from KQED containing the subject line "Your Pledge-Free Stream PIN is Now Available." This email contains your personalized Pledge-Free Stream PIN.
If you can't find the confirmation email, please check your "promotions," "spam" or "junk email" folder as it may have been misdirected there. If you still can't find the email, please call our Member Services Department at 415-553-2150 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member services representative will verify your eligibility for Pledge-Free Stream and give you a PIN. Please note that you will need a new code for each drive in which you participate.
PLEASE NOTE: To ensure you receive emails from us with your code for future drives, please take a minute to make sure you have email@example.com whitelisted. Here are whitelisting instructions.
FOR GMAIL USERS: If you don't see the confirmation email with your PIN in your Primary gmail in-box, please check under the "Promotions" tab if you have that set up. Some KQED PIN emails seem to end up there. If you do find the email there, drag it to the Primary tab so future emails will hopefully end up there instead of under Promotions. Instructions on Gmail tabs.
What if I forgot my login and/or Personalized PIN?
Use our PIN Lookup Tool to find your PIN.
To log into Pledge-Free Stream, you'll need two things:
- The email address you shared with KQED when you completed the online donation form.
- The personalized PIN we sent to you by confirmation email. If you can't find that email, please call our Member Services Department at 415-553-2150 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member services representative will verify your eligibility for Pledge-Free Stream and give you a PIN.
If you have a Pledge-Free Stream PIN from a previous Pledge-Free Stream campaign, you will not be able to log in to the current Pledge-Free Stream. PINs are active for only one fundraising drive.
Why does the site keep asking me to sign in?
You should only have to sign in once per browser. The first time you sign in successfully, the KQED website sets a browser cookie that retains your sign-in information.
If your browser keeps asking you to sign in, try checking your browser's preferences to make sure it is accepting cookies. If it is, then send us an email and we'll try to help troubleshoot the issues you are facing.
What technology is required to use the KQED Live Radio stream and Pledge-Free Stream?
You can listen to the Pledge-Free Stream via most web browsers. If you're able to play the normal KQED Listen Live stream in your browser, then you should be able to listen to the Pledge-Free Stream as well.
The KQED Live Stream player, including Pledge-Free Stream, utilizes the HTML5 Audio tag, and has been tested for compatibility with a range of web browsers. If your browser doesn't seem to be compatible, you can try upgrading your current browser or changing to a different one.
I'm still hearing pledge breaks. Why is this?
KQED's Pledge-Free Stream requires cookies for authentication. If you are logging in to Pledge-Free Stream but still hearing pledge breaks, check to make sure you do not have "Private Browsing" turned on in your browser preferences. If Private Browsing is set to "on", cookies will be disabled. Also, you should make sure any other privacy preferences are set to allow cookies.
I can't hear anything or the stream is buffering — what should I do?
If you experience problems please try the following:
- Reload the browser page and try again. If you're listening via a computer, try a different browser. If you do have a recommended browser and you still can't hear anything after clicking on the live stream link, make sure that your speakers are on and the volume is turned up.
- If you're listening on a phone via cellular data connection, try using wi-fi from your phone instead.
- If using an iPhone, please make sure that private browsing is off and cookies are not being blocked.
- Check to make sure there isn't something else running on your connection that's using excessive bandwidth, such as streaming video or a software update.
If you still can't hear anything or the stream is buffering repeatedly, contact us via the KQED Live Stream Problem Report form.
How do I access Pledge-Free Stream over my mobile device or smartphone?
KQED's Mobile-Friendly Web Site:
If you've already received your access information for Pledge-Free Stream, then point your browser to kqed.org/pfs. Use the log-in credentials you received in your confirmation email (the email address you used when donating and the unique PIN provided) and log in at the top right area of the page. Once you've logged in, you'll be taken directly to Pledge-Free Stream where you just click on the "play" button and start listening pledge-free!
If you haven't donated for Pledge-Free Stream yet, just point your mobile browser to KQED.org/donate and become a Sustaining member at any level, or make an all at once contribution of $60. After you submit your contribution you will immediately receive credentials that grant you immediate access to Pledge Free Stream.
After you have signed in to Pledge-Free Stream, visit our Listen Live page, under "More Ways to Listen" select "Other Audio Players" and paste the custom URL provided into your listening app of choice (eg, TuneIn, Sonos, etc.). Unfortunately, Pledge-Free Stream is not yet available in the KQED mobile app.
Special information for iPhone/iPad Users:
Navigate to kqed.org/pfs and log in using your Pledge-Free Stream credentials. Once you have signed in, your mobile web browser will retain your credentials.
If you are using an iPhone and you have logged in to Pledge-Free Stream but are still hearing pledge breaks:
- Make sure you don't have "private browsing" turned on. If you're using iOS 6 or earlier, check that "private browsing" in the Safari Settings is set to OFF.
- Make sure Safari is set to accept cookies. If you're using iOS 7, check that the "Block Cookies" setting is not set to "Always." If you're using iOS 6 or earlier, check that the "Accept Cookies" setting is not set to "Never."
How do I access Pledge-Free Stream over iTunes, my Internet radio, Amazon Echo/Alexa, Sonos or other desktop player?
If your device or app can accept M3U files or stream URLs (ex: iTunes, Sonos, TuneIn), you may be able to use it to listen to Pledge-Free Stream:
- Confirm you are logged in at http://www.kqed.org/radio/live/ (you will see a blue "Pledge-Free Stream" near the play button).
- You should see a blue "Download URL" button
- Click on the button, then copy the custom URL it generates. Click on the button, then copy the custom URL it generates.
- For Sonos, add this custom URL to your Music Source list by going to the Manage menu > Add a Radio Station. It will then appear in all Sonos controllers under Radio > My Radio Stations. (Delete your previous version if you have added a PFS station to your Sonos system in the past.)
- For Grace Radio, Go to myradio.gracedigital.com >Create an account > Once logged in go to Radios >Register >Go on the Radio itself > settings > Get Registration Key >Once you get that key go back to the website, where you left off (Register) >Enter that Registration key there >Hit Submit >Go to mystuff > mystreams
- For TuneIn App, go to "Favorites," scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on "Add Custom URL." Paste in the PFS URL from the Download URL instructions above. The custom URL will then also be available at TuneIn.com on your desktop computer once you are logged in to TuneIn there.
- Alexa/Amazon Echo products: You can now listen to the Pledge-Free Stream by enabling the skill.
Can I listen to Pledge-Free Stream on my radio?
No, it is not possible to access the KQED's Pledge-Free Stream with a conventional radio. Right now, Pledge-Free Stream is only available though a web browser on a computer, smartphone, tablet or other connected device. Several car makers have announced that they're offering Internet radio with their upcoming models. In the meantime, you can use your smartphone to stream while you're in your car!
Can I donate for Pledge-Free Stream by calling KQED?
Making your donation online would be the quickest way to access Pledge-Free Stream. If you would rather become a Sustaining Member and contribute to KQED over the phone then please call member services (415) 553-2150, Mon - Fri, 9am - 4:45pm and we'd be happy to help you. Your Pledge-Free Stream access will start as soon as you receive your confirmation email.
Will my donation for Pledge-Free Stream make me a KQED member?
Donating for Pledge-Free Stream entitles you to all the benefits of KQED membership for one year.
Will I be able to listen pledge-free for other pledge drives too?
No. Pledge-Free Stream is only available for the current pledge drive, and only for KQED Public Radio.
What if I want to give more than the current offer amount or would like other thank-you gifts as well?
That's great! Pledge-free access is automatic for all Sustainers and is available to other members each drive with your contribution of $60 or more. If you would like a thank-you gift for your contribution to KQED, simply select your desired item during your donation process before your click on submit.
If I donate from the web browser on my home computer, can I also access Pledge-Free Stream from my work computer?
Yes! We realize that lots of our members listen to us at work, at home, and on the go. So we've made it possible for you to enable Pledge-Free Stream on up to four browsers. Just use the personalized PIN we sent you in your donation confirmation email and enjoy uninterrupted KQED programming!
What is the "fair market value" of Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream has no "fair market value" because it is considered a service as opposed to a tangible gift item or product.
Question still not answered? Fill out a streaming problem report.