- World Series, Game 1. Texas at San Francisco. Tonight, 4:57 p.m.
- The defense and prosecution both filed briefs related to the upcoming Nov 5 sentencing of Johannes Mehserle, the former BART police officer convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Oscar Grant. From the Chronicle:
Mehserle faces five to 14 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter and the use of the gun. However, legal experts said, state law allows a judge to grant probation for involuntary manslaughter under unusual circumstances. And Rains argues that the gun-use enhancement should not apply to police officers, who carry weapons as part of their job. Full article
- Video: Justice for Oscar Grant rally, Oakland, Oct. 23
- A real estate info firm reports that fewer Bay Area homes were in process of being foreclosed in this year's third quarter compared to last. But foreclosure activity was still up slightly from the second quarter.
From the report:
Year-Over-Year Percentage Decline in Defaults
San Francisco: -20.4%
Contra Costa: -31.8%
Santa Clara: -44.4%
San Mateo: -31.2%
- Carly Fiorina was hospitalized Tuesday with an infection resulting from reconstructive surgery related to her breast cancer. A statement from her staff did not say when or if she would return to the campaign trail. The latest poll to show Fiorina trailing Barbara Boxer in the race for Boxer's Senate seat was released today and found the GOP candidate down by 8 points.
- Stop the Internet presses: The release of the iPhone 4 in white has been delayed until spring, and people are getting kind of snarky about it. But here's a picture you can look at until it does come out.
- Devices that don't exist: the white iPhone, the PlayStation Phone (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)