Families opposed to the Trump administration's zero tolerance immigration policy that led to the separation of migrant children from their parents held a protest in front of the Pleasant Hill facility several weeks ago.
Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord) took a tour of the shelter, recently visited the border, and was told by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that the girls were reunited with their families in the last week.
"I'm relieved," DeSaulnier said in an interview Thursday afternoon.
"But it's hard not to be troubled after visiting with them and then going down to the border and seeing what can only be described as a politically created humanitarian crisis that is done in the name of Americans by this administration," DeSaulnier said.
A Southwest Key official said the federal government prohibits the company from talking about individual children.
"At the direction of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, Southwest Key has fulfilled every request to bring children under our care to designated locations for reunification. Our staff have worked hard to provide for the children's comfort and safety throughout the entire process," company spokesman Jeff Eller said in an emailed statement.
Kenneth Wolfe, a spokesman for HHS, did not respond to specific questions about the Southwest Key facility in Pleasant Hill. Instead, Wolfe pointed toward an agency website that includes updates on the department's plan for reunifying migrant children.
DeSaulnier said the two girls were most likely taken to a facility near the border, but federal officials did not brief him on their whereabouts.
"I don't know why they tell us some things and hold things from us," DeSaulnier said. "It's just part of this administration."
The Trump administration is facing a court-ordered deadline Thursday to reunite migrant families separated at the border.
The government has identified 2,551 kids, ages 5 to 17, who were taken from their parents by immigration authorities.