- The San Francisco Chronicle's Scott Ostler weighs in on Giants manager Bruce Bochy's decision to let homer-prone Hunter Strickland pitch to the Cards' Matt Adams in the eighth inning last night. The Giants lost the game in the bottom of the ninth, and the NLCS is now tied 1-1.
- Police called in the California Department of Justice to help gather evidence on a bloody Sunday after five people were gunned down in a series of overnight killings in Stockton. (Stockton Record)
- An important meeting of bishops at the Vatican used remarkably conciliatory language on Monday toward gay and divorced Catholics, signaling a possible easing of the church’s rigid attitudes on homosexuality and the sanctity of marriage. (NY Times)
- San Jose Mercury News columnist Scott Herhold says San Jose is unlikely to transform the holiday named after Christopher Columbus into Indigenous People's Day.
- Investors and Apple fans have been eagerly awaiting a visionary TV offering from the company ever since Steve Jobs told his biographer, Walter Isaacson, that he had finally figured out the right approach. Now, a small but growing chorus of analysts and developers say Apple seems close to cracking the code for TV, a device that has long stumped the company. (San Jose Mercury News)
- From the Chronicle: A look at the case of Brittany Maynard, the 29-year-old East Bay woman afflicted with brain cancer, who has moved to Oregon to take advantage of the state's Death with Dignity Law.
- Pictures of the 58-foot whale that has washed up on Long Island. (Trove)
Matt Adams of the Cardinals rounds the bases on his solo home run in the eighth inning against the Giants' Hunter Strickland. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)