KQED Radio
KQED Newssee more
Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

From Beyoncé to Lil Hardin, 'My Black Country' Celebrates the Undersung Black History and Future of Country Music

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Alice Randall's new book is "My Black Country: A Journey Through Country Music's Black Past, Present, and Future" (Keren Treviño)

Beyoncé’s new album, “Cowboy Carter,” pays tribute to country music’s greats while reflecting on her own connection to the genre. As she sings on the opening track, “Used to say I spoke ‘too country’ / And the rejection came, said I wasn’t country ‘nough.” That rejection reflects the gatekeeping that’s long plagued country music – gatekeeping that determines who gets to be American and whose ‘country’ it is, says Alice Randall, a songwriter, author and Vanderbilt professor. Randall was the first Black woman to write a No. 1 country hit, and her new book “My Black Country” weaves memoir with the history and impact of Black artists in the genre. We’ll learn that history and Randall’s place in it — and listen to country music from DeFord Bailey, Linda Martell and, of course, Beyoncé.

Guests:

Alice Randall, Country songwriter and professor of African American and Diaspora Studies and writer-in-residence, Vanderbilt University - author, “My Black Country: A Journey Through Country Music’s Black Past, Present, and Future.”

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Inside Mexico's Clandestine Drug Treatment CentersWhat’s Next for Pro-Palestinian Campus ProtestsViolence Escalates in Sudan as Civil War Enters Second YearCity Lights Chief Book Buyer Paul Yamazaki on a Half Century Spent “Reading the Room”NPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?