Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

How to Say Goodbye to the Dying

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Closeup of a senior couple holding hands while sitting together on their living room sofa at home
 (Getty Images)

In 2017, illustrator Wendy MacNaughton completed an artist-in-residency at the Zen Hospice Guest House in San Francisco. She got to know families, caregivers, staff, and the dying. What emerged is her new book, “How To Say Goodbye.” Drawn-from-life illustrations are paired with gentle advice on how to let someone go. “The person dying is in charge,” reflects MacNaughton, and her book offers simple ways to be witness to a loved one’s last moments. And when mutual peace and understanding matters the most, she writes, simple declarations like,“I forgive you. Please forgive me. Thank you. I love you. Goodbye” can offer closure. We’ll talk to MacNaughton and a hospice caregiver.

Guests:

Wendy MacNaughton, illustrator; artist; graphic journalist - McNaughton's latest book is "How to Say Goodbye." She has illustrated or authored eleven books, including "Salt Fat Acid Heat," and "Meanwhile in San Francisco," and is the creator of DrawTogether, the educational drawing program for kids and adults

Ladybird Morgan, co-founder, Humane Prison Hospice Project - Morgan is a registered nurse and clinical social worker and has worked in end of life care for over 20 years. She is currently a palliative care consultant with Mettle Health<br />

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
In Transit: Amtrak's Future In CaliforniaAli Velshi on the ‘Small Acts of Courage’ That Define His Family’s Inheritance and His JournalismThe Uncertain Future of Iconic, Battered, Highway 1What Makes a Burrito…a Burrito?Gary Shteyngart on a Lonely Week on the World’s Largest Cruise ShipIs Hollywood’s New ‘Magical, Colorblind Past’ a Good Thing?House GOP Targets Berkeley Schools in Antisemitism HearingIllia Ponomarenko on Reporting From Ukraine’s Front LinesLookout Santa Cruz Wins 2024 Pulitzer Prize for Its Storm CoverageAmor Towles on his New Short Story Collection 'Table for Two'