Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

When Should We Move in Together?

51:44
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

A couple eats noodles during lunch time at a restaurant in Beijing on January 19, 2016.  (Photo: Fred Dufour/AFP/Getty Images)

More American couples are skipping the wedding and just living together. Census data show a 30 percent rise in cohabitation among unmarried couples. Most of those couples are under 35, but the Pew Research Center found that Americans over 50 are cohabiting as well. Some couples even sign agreements in advance — laying out the terms of who walks the dog or does the dishes. But how do you decide when it’s time to move in together? And how do you keep the peace when you’re sharing the same space? We talk to a couples therapist, a lawyer who advises unmarried couples and a sociologist.

Guests:

Frederick Hertz, attorney; author, “Living Together: A Legal Guide for Unmarried Couples” and “Counseling Unmarried Couples”

Amanda Jayne Miller, professor of sociology, University of Indianapolis; co-author, “Cohabitation Nation: Gender, Class, and the Remaking of Relationships”

Winifred Reilly, couples therapist; author, “It Takes One to Tango: How I Rescued My Marriage With (Almost) No Help From My Spouse — and How You Can, Too”

Guests:

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
NPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?KQED Youth Takeover: How Social Media is Changing Political Advertising