2 tablespoons palm sugar
1 tablespoon tamarind water (see note above)
3-4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Chili powder, to taste
4 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon minced sweet radish
1/4 bean curd, cut into matchstick strips
1 pound fresh rice stick noodles, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and drained (or 1/2 lb dried noodles soaked in warm water for 10-15 minutes and drained)
8 medium shrimps (26-30 count per lb), peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
2-3 green onions or Chinese chives, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
1 cup bean sprouts
1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, roasted and ground
1 lime, cut into wedges
Fresh vegetables, for an accompaniment (Chinese chives, bean sprouts, banana blossom wedge, or pennyworth, if available)
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir well to blend. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or a large pan over high heat. When the wok is very hot, crack the eggs into it. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir until set, about 20 seconds. Add garlic, shallot, radish and bean curd; toss gently.
3. Add noodles and shrimps; stir briefly
4. Add the chicken stock and cook until the noodles begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Drizzle in the sauce and toss to evenly coat the noodles. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the noodles absorb most of the sauce and begin to dry.
5. Stir in green onions, bean sprouts and half of the ground peanuts. Toss a few times and transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with the remaining peanuts and serve with lime wedges and fresh vegetables on the side.