There's nothing quite like a messy burger, is there? I love them. And what I enjoy most about veggie burgers is the endless possibility of combinations. Kale, apples, squash seed, and persimmon, are just a few of the things I have snuck into a garden burger.
They are such a great way to increase your vegetable intake, even with veggies you might not like. This burger is a favorite, however I do love butternut squash. It is slightly sweet, earthy and pretty spicy.
Recipe: Spicy Butternut Squash & Black Bean Burger
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs.
- Olive oil