Tech Nation Radio Podcast
Tech Nation Radio Podcast

Tech Nation is a weekly public radio program, hosted by Dr. Moira Gunn. Founded in 1993, it has grown from a simple interview show to a multi-faceted production, featuring conversations with noted technology and science leaders, and a weekly science and technology-related commentary.

Airs on:
FRI 10pm
59:00

Episode 506: Episode 23-04 How To Calm Your Mind? (And Why)

On this week’s Tech Nation, Moira speaks with Chris Bailey about “How to Calm Your Mind … Finding Presence and Productivity in Anxious Times”. Science tells us that humans love dopamine, caffeine is essentially liquid stress, and burnout is more than being exhausted. Then, teaching our immune systems to recognize tumors in our own bodies and then eliminating them. Bolt Biotherapeutics’ CEO, Dr. Randy Schatzman, talks about the role of myeloid cells, and Bolt is studying nearly two dozen forms of HER2-related cancers.
59:00

Episode 505: Episode 23-03 The Right Antidepressant the First Time?

On this week’s Tech Nation, developing antidepressants along with a test so when you take them, you know they will work. Dr. Amit Etkin, the founder and CEO Alto Neuroscience, explains how looking at each patient’s underlying biology is essential. Then Sir Rory Collins, the Principal Investigator of the UK BioBank. With data from half a million people, it has served 30,000 scientists around the world, giving special support to young researchers and scientists in emergent countries.
59:00

Episode 504: Episode 23-02 Can’t Stop Measuring, If We Tried

On this week’s Tech Nation, James Vincent about his book, “Beyond Measure: The Hidden History of Measurement from Cubits to Quantum Constants”, and our age-old propensity as humans … to measure things. Then Dr. Rob Ross from Surface Oncology tells us why the first generation of immuno-oncology drugs only worked on 15% of cancer patients, and how Surface Oncology is tackling the other 85%. Their Phase 2 trials in lung cancer and liver cancer are recruiting now.
59:00

Episode 503: Episode 23-01 Neuroscience and Greek Tragedies ???

On this week’s Tech Nation, Ohio State University professor Angus Fletcher connects neuroscience and literature, and why stories can be so compelling – from Greek tragedy to modern times. His book is “Wonderworks … the 25 Most Powerful Inventions in the History of Literature”. Then a ten-minute primer with David Peterson, best known for creating alien languages for HBO’s Game of Thrones, Netflix's The Witcher, and Marvel's Doctor Strange.
59:00

Episode 502: Episode 22-53 The Decisions We Make

On this week’s Tech Nation, Moira speaks with Columbia University professor Eric Johnson about “The Elements of Choice: Why the Way We Decide Matters”. Then insight into rare genetic diseases with Dr. Dietrich Stephan, CEO of NeuBase Therapeutics. He talks us through rare genetic diseases, as well as NeuBase’s approach. And Tech Nation Health Chief Correspondent Dr. Daniel Kraft talks about the challenges of Telehealth.
59:00

Episode 501: Episode 22-52 Social Media and Weaponized Shame ???

On this week’s Tech Nation, Moira speaks with Dr. Cathy O’Neil about “The Shame Machine … Who Profits in the New Age of Humiliation”. They talk about how encouraging shame figures into the algorithms of social media. Then Dr. Daniel Bloomfield, the Chief Medical Officer of Anthos Therapeutics, describes the current challenge of preventing bleeding while avoiding the specter of clotting. Anthos may have a solution.
59:00

Episode 500: Episode 22-51 The Chinese Language – Digitized?

On this week’s Tech Nation, Moira speaks with Yale Professor Jing Tsu about “Kingdom of Characters … the language revolution that made China modern.” Communicating Chinese using digital technology is not so easy, from the telegraph, the typewriter, computers and smartphones. All were built with alphabetic letters in mind. Then, diagnosing neurodegenerative diseases – like early Alzheimers, Parkinsons and more – with a simple-to-use but scientifically advanced retinal scan. Eliav Shaked, the Co-Founder and CEO of the Toronto-based firm, Retispec, explains how their software does it.
59:00

Episode 499: Episode 22-50 A 1-2-3 Punch for Alzheimer’s

On this week’s Tech Nation, Moira speaks with Gene Kinney, the President and CEO of Prothena Biosciences, about a 1-2-3 punch for Alzheimer’s - fighting amyloids, fighting tau, and their work on a vaccine that just might prevent Alzheimer’s altogether. Then Daniel Pink talks about Regret. Research shows you can begin to ease the pain by writing 15 minutes a day for 3 days. His book is “The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward”.