Sponsor MessageBecome a KQED sponsor
upper waypoint

Trump Administration Sends Pregnant Unaccompanied Minors to Texas Shelter Flagged as Medically Inadequate

Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

A gated building at Urban Strategies, a facility that holds unaccompanied minor immigrants under contract with the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement, in San Benito, Texas, on Nov. 5, 2025. (Patricia Lim/KUT News)

Here are the morning’s top stories on Monday, February 16, 2026

  • The Trump administration is making changes to how it treats unaccompanied migrant children who are pregnant, and that’s raising alarm bells inside the government. Since last July, the administration has been concentrating pregnant kids in one shelter in South Texas, even if they’re apprehended in California or other states. This comes over objections from the government’s own health and child welfare officials. They say neither the facility nor the region can provide the specialized care the girls need. 
  • Firefighters across the state are working with scientists at the University of California to minimize their risk to cancer.

Trump Administration Sends Pregnant Unaccompanied Minors to Texas Shelter

The Trump administration is sending all pregnant unaccompanied minors apprehended by immigration enforcement to a single group shelter in South Texas. The decision was made over urgent objections from the government’s own health and child welfare officials, who say both the facility and the region lack the specialized care the girls need.

That’s according to seven sources who work at the Office of Refugee Resettlement within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which handles the custody and care of children who cross the border without a parent or legal guardian, or are separated from family by immigration authorities. All of the sources declined to be named for fear of retaliation.

Since late July, more than a dozen pregnant minors have been placed at the Texas facility, which is located in the small border city of San Benito. Some were as young as 13, and at least half of those taken in so far became pregnant as a result of rape, sources said. Their pregnancies are considered high risk by definition, particularly for the youngest girls. “This group of kids is clearly recognized as our most vulnerable,” one of the sources said. Rank-and-file staff, the source said, are “losing sleep over it, wondering if kids are going to be placed in programs where they’re not going to have access to the care they need.”

The move marks a sharp departure from longstanding federal practice, which placed pregnant, unaccompanied migrant children in ORR shelters or foster homes around the country that are equipped to handle high-risk pregnancies. ORR sources, along with more than a dozen former government officials, health care professionals, migrant advocates and civil rights attorneys, said they worry the Trump administration is putting children in danger at the San Benito shelter to advance an ideological goal: denying them access to abortion by placing them in a state where it’s virtually banned.

Sponsored

“This is 100% and exclusively about abortion,” said Jonathan White, a longtime federal health official who ran ORR’s unaccompanied children program for part of President Donald Trump’s first term. White, who recently retired from the government, said the administration tried and failed to restrict abortion access for unaccompanied minors in 2017. “Now they casually roll out what they brutally fought to accomplish last time and didn’t.”

Asked via email why the administration is sending pregnant children to San Benito, an HHS spokesperson who asked not to be named wrote that “ORR’s placement decisions are guided by child welfare best practices and are designed to ensure each child is housed in the safest, most developmentally appropriate setting, including for children who are pregnant or parenting.” But several of the ORR officials took issue with the agency’s statement. “ORR is supposed to be a child welfare organization,” one of them said. “Putting pregnant kids in San Benito is not a decision you make when you care about children’s safety.”

Firefighters Work With UC on Cancer Research

Firefighters across the state are wearing air sensors and attaching them to their vehicles. Researchers are using these sensors to examine their exposure to cancer causing agents in toxic air; they are also looking at their sleep, chemicals in gear, diet, trauma and more.

The study hopes to deepen our understanding and minimize the cancer risk firefighters face. Los Angeles Fire Department Captain Jamie Gabriel is taking part in the research. “Getting involved in it was really cool for me because now I felt like I had some control over it, and especially as firefighters we like to be in control, we show up to an incident and take control,” Gabriel said.

Scientists are sharing the results with fire departments and are hoping to encourage a safety culture that’s backed by research.

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Player sponsored by