When she reached out to her insurance provider — Los Angeles-based Mercury Insurance — for help, Attaway said, she got almost nothing: "Without power, [without] water, my insurance company told me to live there with an outhouse and a generator with my children."
The insurance company responded after this story was initially published and disputed Attaway’s characterization of their responsiveness.
Mercury, Attaway said, did give her a $10,000 check right after the fire as a portion of the Additional Living Expenses (ALE) coverage of her homeowners policy, but she said the company told her not to cash the check because her structure was still standing.
“I did not cash that check because I was told not to,” she said. Months later, Attaway said, the insurance company told her she could use it to cover other costs, and she did.
A spokesperson for Mercury Insurance said the company often issues handwritten checks in the immediate aftermath of events like wildfires. “Because they are handwritten checks for large amounts, we suggest our policyholders cash them the next day so we can let the bank know that we've written the checks,” Mercury spokesperson Kyle Reuter said.
The insurance company, Attaway said, did offer to clean her family's clothing, but the process took months. When the company returned the items, she said, a nauseating chemical smell and lingering smoke made them unusable.
Then, in December, a major storm system dropped heavy rain on Paradise, and Attaway's ceiling collapsed. She said she immediately contacted a roofer, who said the collapse was caused by significant damages from the heat of the fire.
Attaway then contacted Mercury Insurance again, who sent out a field adjuster. But Mercury's adjuster, Attaway said, found that the "roof was in no way caused by the fire, but was caused because I did not take care of my home."
Mercury said the adjuster found a leak in the roof caused by pine needle build up in the gutters that caused water to back up and seep into the house. That damage is not covered “because general upkeep of the property is the responsibility of the homeowner,” according to the insurer.
After fighting with Mercury, Attaway said the insurer approved a six month lease on an apartment in nearby Chico beginning on December 22nd, as a part of her ALE coverage.
"I shouldn't have to fight for that," Attaway said, adding that that the ALE coverage will only run through June, when they estimate repairs on her home will be complete.
For its part, Mercury says it gave approval for the lease earlier, on December 6th, but that Attaway asked for the lease to begin on the 22nd.
“Mercury has responded quickly to all of Ms. Attaway’s inquiries and claims, despite extremely heavy claims volume,” Mercury spokesperson Kyle Reuter said. “We believe we have gone above and beyond what most people would consider reasonable, because we understand how traumatic this event has been for those impacted by it and we take our responsibility to our customers very seriously.”