The U.S. government ran an operation to screen journalists, activists and others while investigating last year's migrant caravan from Mexico, a San Diego TV station reported Wednesday, citing leaked documents.
Dossiers that included photos from their passports or social media accounts, date of birth and other details were kept in a database, and some freelance journalists had alerts placed on their passports and were flagged for secondary screenings at customs points, the station KNSD-TV said.
One freelance photojournalist was denied entry to Mexico for reasons that were never stated, the station reported.
The documents, in the form of dossiers and screenshots, were provided to NBC 7 Investigates by a Homeland Security source on the condition of anonymity, the station reported. Those listed as warranting secondary screening included 10 journalists — seven of them U.S. citizens — a U.S. attorney and 47 people from various countries labeled as organizers, instigators or "unknown," the station said.
Freelance photographer Ariana Drehsler, who worked for KQED last year, said she was stopped three times by Customs and Border Protection between Dec. 30 and Jan. 4.
She said during the Dec. 30 stop in Tijuana that two agents in civilian clothes met her after waiting for almost an hour and took her into a smaller room.
“They were very nice," Drehsler told KQED in an interview Wednesday. "They asked me what I was doing in T.J., who I worked for, who I had worked for. They asked for my editor's phone number — the editor I was working for at the time — my home address, my website, so basically all my personal information. And they let me go in with my bag and my telephone. They just wanted to know what I was seeing on the ground.”

