Seventh Person Killed in Connection with Carr Fire

Save ArticleSave Article

Failed to save article

Please try again

This article is more than 4 years old.
The sun sets over an area partially burnt by the Carr Fire as it spreads towards the town of Lewiston near Redding on Auigust 2. (MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images)

Update, 3:00 p.m. Sunday: PG&E has identified 21-year-old apprentice lineman Jay Ayeta as the utility worker who died on Saturday working to restore power in areas affected by the Carr Fire in Shasta County.

According to PG&E spokeswoman Melissa Subbotin, Ayeta suffered fatal injuries due to a "vehicle-related accident" in a remote area in western Shasta County.

Subbotin says Ayeta was working in a rural area with dangerous terrain at the time of the accident. She did not provide additional details on the circumstance surrounding the incident.

"Shortly after the incident, PG&E crews arrived to the scene," Subbotin said. "And shortly thereafter, first-responders and public agencies including law enforcement responded."

Subbotin says PG&E is working with law enforcement to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.


Original post, 7:58 a.m. Sunday: A Pacific Gas and Electric employee working to restore utility service to areas affected by the Carr Fire in Shasta County died on Saturday, a PG&E spokesman confirmed with KQED.

According to PG&E spokesman J.D. Guidi, the man was working in a remote area with dangerous terrain in western Shasta County at the time of the incident. Guidi says the victim suffered fatal injuries in an accident, but did not provide additional details.

PG&E crews arrived at the scene shortly after the incident and are working with law enforcement to investigate the circumstances, Guidi said.

He said the utility will not be releasing the man's name until his family has been notified.

The incident marks the seventh death in relation to the massive Carr Fire since it ignited on July 23.

The blaze has scorched 154,524 acres — more than 240 square miles — near the city of Redding. As of Sunday morning, the fire was 41 percent contained.