Fire crews continue to battle multiple wind-whipped wildfires in Napa and Sonoma counties that have so far destroyed at least 1,500 structures, forced an estimated 20,000 people to evacuate and claimed 13 lives in Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino and Yuba counties.
Early Tuesday morning, Sonoma County spokesman Steve Alonso said the county is receiving calls every hour from around the world from people asking about people missing in the fires. Alsonso said sheriffs are investigating more than 100 missing person reports.
Early Monday evening, Sonoma County Sheriff Robert Giordano said the number of dead and injured is likely to rise.
"We’re still trying to evacuate. There is no searching yet, so it is logical we are going to find more people. This is just the beginning,” he said.
The fires broke out Sunday night as strong winds buffeted the area.