"Chicken in a cream sauce is a specialty of the town where I was born, Bourg-en-Bresse. My mother’s simple recipe included a whole cut-up chicken with water, a dash of flour, and a bit of cream to finish. I have added white wine and mushrooms to make the dish a bit more sophisticated, and used chicken thighs, which are the best part of the chicken (1 1/2 thighs per person should be a generous serving for a main course). A sprinkling of chopped tarragon at the end makes it more special, but it is optional. I am not sure my mother would approve of my changes, but this is easy, fast, and good. Most of the time, my mother served hers with rice pilaf." --Jacques Pépin
Recipe: Poulet à la Crème
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed(about 2 1/2 pounds skinned)
- 8 mushrooms (about 6 ounces), washed and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped
- fresh tarragon (optional)
heat for about 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
Recipes from Heart & Soul in the Kitchen by Jacques Pépin. Copyright © 2015 by Jacques Pépin. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.