"Thick slices of ripe tomato are baked with a topping of diced bread and seasonings in this gratin. Success depends on using the highest-quality ingredients." --Jacques Pépin
Recipe: Sliced Tomato Gratin
- 2 pounds large ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced (1/2-inch) baguette or country bread
- 2/3 cup sliced shallots
- 1/3 cup sliced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices and arrange the slices in a 6- to 8-cup gratin dish. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Combine the bread, shallots, garlic, thyme, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the tomatoes and top with the bread mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the tomatoes are browned on top and cooked. Serve.
Recipe from Heart & Soul in the Kitchen by Jacques Pépin. Copyright © 2015 by Jacques Pépin. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.