Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Higgs Boson Found?

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

(CERN)

On Wednesday, physicists at the multinational research center CERN in Geneva confirmed the rumors: they had discovered a new subatomic particle which by all appearances resembles a Higgs boson. The long-theorized Higgs boson, predicted by the Standard Model of physics but never observed, is thought to convey mass to all other particles. Does this discovery truly mark the end of a long search, or is it just the tip of a new iceberg? We discuss the findings, and what they might tell us about the nature of matter.

Show Highlights

“I’m a theorist. I’ve been telling people for many years, ‘There can’t be a theory without the Higgs boson that explains what we know about the subnuclear reactions. So [Higgs boson has] got to be there as far as I’m concerned. Either it’s heavy or it’s light. This thing that’s been discovered, this new particle, it’s, by the way, I really wanted to say, whatever it is, it is a particle unlike any other elementary particle that we know. So, it is truly a discovery. Whether it’s the Higgs boson or not, it’s something completely new to particle physics. If it is the Higgs boson, it fits into the definite place in our theories, and something has to be in that place. So if this is not the Higgs boson, the Higgs boson is somewhere else and very nearby. Quite likely the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) will turn it up in its further running for more data. Either way it’s fascinating.”

— Michael Peskin

“It’s a really fundamental particle unlike any other, and without it, our universe will not be at all as we have it today. We would have no stars, no galaxy, no humans, no atoms—none of it.”

Guests:

Michael Peskin, professor of particle physics and astrophysics at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory at Stanford University

Beate Heinemann, research scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, associate professor in the Physics Department at UC Berkeley and member of the ATLAS collaboration at the Large Hadron Collider

Sponsored

–Beate Heinneman  

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Violence Escalates in Sudan as Civil War Enters Second YearNPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?