Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

How Blind Photographers Visualize the World

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

"Visor Vision" (Kurt Weston)

A new exhibit at the Bedford gallery in Walnut Creek challenges our assumptions about what it means to see. “Sight Unseen” features the work of 13 blind photographers from around the world who use photography in very different ways. In describing his process Pete Eckert of Sacramento writes, “vision is so strong that it masks other senses, other abilities… I feel light so strongly that it allows me to see the bones of my skeleton as pulsating energy.” Scottish artist Rosita McKenzie said, “I sense the light on my face. I hear the rustle of the wind in the trees or smell the fragrance of the flowers in the air, and I think: I’ve really got to take this.” We’ll talk with the curator and featured artists from “Sight Unseen” about how sight-impaired people reveal the world as they see it.

• Photos from the exhibit can be found here.

Guests:

Douglas McCulloh, senior curator, California Museum of Photography; curator, “Sight Unseen”

Alice Wingwall, photographer and sculptor; featured artist in “Sight Unseen”

Kurt Weston, photographer; featured artist in "Sight Unseen"

Emilee Enders, curator, Bedford Gallery, at the Lesher Center for the Arts and oversees the public art program in Walnut Creek

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Violence Escalates in Sudan as Civil War Enters Second YearNPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?