upper waypoint

Dave Iverson on Why He Became a Caregiver… and What He Learned

52:07
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

(Courtesy of Dave Iverson)

Journalist Dave Iverson says that there were a lot of things he didn’t know when he made the decision to move in with his 95-year old mother Adelaide in 2004 to take care of her. “I didn’t know that I would be tested in ways I’d never imagined,” he writes in his new memoir, “or rewarded in ways I’d never dreamed.” He also had no idea that Adelaide would live nearly 10 years more, before passing away at age 105. Iverson, a former host of KQED Forum, joins us to talk about the burdens and benefits of caring for a loved one, how America is failing its caregivers, and his new book “Winter Stars: An elderly mother, an aging son, and life’s final journey”.

Guests:

Dave Iverson, writer; filmmaker; journalist; former host, KQED Forum; author, "Winter Stars: An Elderly Mother, an Aging Son and Life's Final Journey"<br />

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Rainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?KQED Youth Takeover: How Social Media is Changing Political AdvertisingDeath Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New York