Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Historian Keisha Blain on ‘Fannie Lou Hamer’s Enduring Message to America’

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

(Visit Misissippi)

Activist and former sharecropper Fannie Lou Hamer famously said “you are not free, whether you are Black or white, until I am free.” Hamer and her bold, radical honesty are the subject of a new biography by historian Keisha Blain, who sheds light on Hamer’s life and the ideas and political strategies that were central to the Civil Rights movement. In “Until I Am Free: Fannie Lou Hamer’s Enduring Message to America,” Blain documents key moments in Hamer’s activism, including her pivotal role in co-founding the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party. As voting rights remain a battleground in the U.S., Blain joins us to talk about Hamer’s legacy and the lessons we can learn from her activism.

Guests:

Keisha Blain, historian and author, "Until I Am Free: Fannie Lou Hamer's Enduring Message to America;" associate professor of history, University of Pittsburgh

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
NPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?KQED Youth Takeover: How Social Media is Changing Political Advertising