KQED Radio
KQED Newssee more
Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Oakland’s I-580 Bans Trucks. I-880 Doesn’t. Residents Feel the Difference.

32:43
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Traffic backs up on Interstate 880 September 3, 2010 in Oakland, California. ((Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images))

By law, trucks weighing more than 4.5 tons are barred from driving through a portion of Interstate 580 in Oakland and San Leandro near the East Bay Hills. This 10-mile ban means most commercial trucks use Interstate 880, which runs through Black and Latinx neighborhoods and is a historically working class region. Research from the Environmental Defense Fund found that concentrations of black carbon along I-880 were approximately 80% higher than average concentrations along I-580. Why are trucks banned from this stretch of I-580, and should residents along I-880 exclusively bear the burden of truck pollution? We’ll discuss the pushback to I-580’s truck ban.

Related link(s):
Trucks are Banned on Oakland’s I-580. These Sixth Graders Wondered Why

Guests:

Laura Klivans, reporter, KQED

Angela Scott, East Oakland community organizer, Communities for a Better Environment

Nate Miley, district 4 Supervisor, Alameda County

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Death Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New YorkThe Beauty in Finding ‘Other People’s Words’ in Your OwnWhat the 99 Cents Only Stores Closure Means to CaliforniansBay Area Diaspora Closely Watching India’s Upcoming Electionare u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens‘The Notorious PhD’ on How Hip Hop Made AmericaSan Francisco Voters Face a Crowded and Contentious Mayor’s Race