Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Jason Rezaian on Being Political Collateral and his 544 Day in Iranian Prison

52:30
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Jason Rezaian was working as the Tehran bureau chief for the Washington Post when he was arrested and held in Iran's Evin Prison. (Photo: Beowulf Sheehan)

In his new memoir “Prisoner,” former Washington Post Tehran bureau chief Jason Rezaian details the year and a half that he spent in an Iranian prison. Rezaian describes his encounters with his jailers, who had complete control over him and were “the most hardheaded and least sophisticated people I had ever encountered.” Rezaian’s captivity occurred as the Obama administration was negotiating a nuclear deal with Iran, and Rezaian was released on the day that the deal was formally announced. He joins Forum to talk about his experience.

Related Coverage:

Guests:

Jason Rezaian, author, "Prisoner: My 544 Days in an Iranian Prison–Solitary Confinement, a Sham Trial, High-Stakes Diplomacy, and the Extraordinary Efforts It Took to Get Me Out"; global opinions writer, The Washington Post

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Death Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New YorkThe Beauty in Finding ‘Other People’s Words’ in Your OwnWhat the 99 Cents Only Stores Closure Means to CaliforniansBay Area Diaspora Closely Watching India’s Upcoming Electionare u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens‘The Notorious PhD’ on How Hip Hop Made AmericaSan Francisco Voters Face a Crowded and Contentious Mayor’s Race