Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

National Park Service's Betty Reid Soskin Publishes Memoir at 96

34:47
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Betty Reid Soskin's memoir is titled "Sign My Name to Freedom: A Memoir of a Pioneering Life." (Photo: AK Sandhu)

Betty Reid Soskin’s lectures at Richmond’s Rosie the Riveter Museum have garnered her national attention, including a visit with President Obama in 2015. Soskin’s talks reflect on the oft-overlooked African-American wartime experience and how opportunities for black women have changed throughout her lifetime. Now the 96-year-old has written a memoir, “Sign My Name to Freedom,” documenting her history as a political activist, musician and entrepreneur. A longtime resident of the East Bay, Soskin illustrates how the Bay Area laid the groundwork for the national civil rights movement.

Guests:

Betty Reid Soskin, author, "Sign My Name to Freedom: A Memoir of a Pioneering Life"; National Park Service ranger, Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, California

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Rainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?KQED Youth Takeover: How Social Media is Changing Political AdvertisingDeath Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New York