Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Oakland's Pendarvis Harshaw Taps OGs for Advice

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Diamond Jim is featured in Pendarvis Harshaw's "OG Told Me." (Photo: Pendarvis Harshaw)

When Pendarvis Harshaw was growing up in Oakland, he and his friends looked up to the “OGs” – the older black men known as “original gangstas.” He started asking them, “What advice do you have for young black men like me?”  Harshaw would walk up to anyone who caught his eye – domino players, businessmen, shoe shiners – and get their advice on everything from women to education. Harshaw gathered all that wisdom in a website and book, “OG Told Me.” Harshaw joins us in the studio to talk about the project and share what he learned.

Guests:
Pendarvis “Pen” Harshaw,
journalist; author, “OG Told Me”

More Information:
OG Told Me

Guests:

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New YorkThe Beauty in Finding ‘Other People’s Words’ in Your OwnWhat the 99 Cents Only Stores Closure Means to CaliforniansBay Area Diaspora Closely Watching India’s Upcoming Electionare u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens‘The Notorious PhD’ on How Hip Hop Made AmericaSan Francisco Voters Face a Crowded and Contentious Mayor’s RaceWho Is Responsible For One of the Largest Internet Hacks Ever?So You Want to Be a DJ?