Nothing says summer to me more than ripe, full-flavored tomatoes and sweet corn. I love them each on their own, and eat them heartily throughout the season, but I’m always looking for a new way to serve them. Enter this sweet and tangy, salty and peppery salad. This colorful, well-balanced dish comes together quickly, especially if you are already grilling.
I like to throw the corn and peppers on while the coals are plenty hot and I’m waiting for them to die down a bit to cook whatever meat I might have on hand (this salad goes great with chicken kebabs, steak, or pork). Put the peppers over the highest heat so the skins blacken quickly. Then finish off the corn just off the heat. You don’t have to grill it for long, just until it’s got some nice char marks and is still crisp-tender. While you are waiting for the peppers to soften off the heat, cut the corn kernels off the cob and toss in the other ingredients. Then, while your meat is sizzling away on the grill, slice up the peppers. By the time the meat is cooked, your salad is ready (it can also sit for a few hours, just don’t add the arugula until ready to serve).
Recipe: Grilled Corn, Sweet Peppers, Heirloom and Cherry Tomato, Feta, Arugula Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe heirloom tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 pint (1 lb) cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved if large
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- About 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- About 3 cups wild or baby arugula
- Prep the tomatoes: seed and chop the heirloom tomatoes, stem and half the cherry tomatoes.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for direct heat grilling over high heat. Brush the cooking grate of the grill clean, then oil the grate. Grill the corn and peppers, turning them frequently until the peppers are blackened all over and the corn is crisp-tender and covered nicely in grill marks. Transfer the corn to a cutting board. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover with a plate or foil. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels from the cob and place the kernels into a large serving bowl. Stem, seed, and quarter the peppers, then slice them crosswise into thin slices. Add to the serving bowl along with the tomatoes. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and the lime juice and toss to coat. Add the feta and arugula and gently toss. Taste and season with a little salt. Serve.