Forget about standing there at your next backyard party mixing one individual cocktail after another and never getting to enjoy your own! This is one of those awesome make-it-ahead, throw-it-together drinks that practically serves itself.
This sparkling fizzy drink infuses cucumber and mint in a mixture of vodka and lemon simple syrup. And all you have to do is set out a bottle of sparkling water and an ice bucket and let your guests help themselves. But beware! This fresh summery drink goes down very easy. (You might want to make a double batch!)
A note on sweetness: To me, this isn’t sweet, but if you like, just add half of the lemon syrup, mix everything together and then adjust as you like with a little more. Or if you want it to be sweeter, double the simple syrup and add it to taste.
Cocktail Recipe: Cucumber-Lemon-Mint Vodka Fizz
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, crushed
- 1 750-ml bottle your favorite vodka (not flavored), such as Hangar One (or whatever you have in your bar at the moment)
- Sparkling water
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, lemon zest and juice, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into an airtight container, then refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- In a large pitcher, stir together the chilled lemon simple syrup, the cucumber slices, mint leaves, and vodka. Let sit for about 1 hour for the flavors to meld. When ready to serve, add enough ice to fill the pitcher.