My affinity for Brussels sprouts is not a secret. I recently shared a skewered and roasted recipe for Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Parmesan. So when it came time to experiment with latkes I could not resist including this favorite seasonal ingredient into the mix.
Recipe: Brussels Sprout Latkes
1. Remove any dark spots from your potatoes and trim the ends of the Brussels sprouts.
2. Run the potatoes, length-wise, through a food processor or use a cheese grater. This is very important when making latkes. You want to remove any excess water from the base. I roll the potatoes in a towel, then place them in a colander to dry. You can also use cheesecloth. You just want them to be very dry.
3. Shred the Brussels sprouts.
4. Whisk the eggs and then whisk in the flour and salt.
5. Work in the potatoes until they are completely covered.
6. Then fold in the shredded Brussels sprouts. I do this because I want that green to pop!
7. Add enough oil to an iron skillet so that it’s about 1/4″ deep, and then warm it over a medium high heat until it is shimmering.
8. Drop a heap of the latke mixture into the skillet and flatten it out, letting it sizzle. Cook it for about 2 minutes, until the edges are golden and crispy. Then flip.
9. When cooked on both sides, remove from the skillet and place on a towel to remove the excess oil.