The Contra Costa County District Attorney is investigating a former Antioch detective fired in 2017 for leaking sensitive information to drug dealers for as long as seven years, and the county public defender wants a review of any case he worked on that resulted in people being charged with crimes.
The Antioch Police Department fired Sgt. Santiago Castillo in 2017 for the alleged leaks as well as submitting time sheets for hours he didn’t work and stealing evidence, according to records released under the state’s new police transparency law.
Antioch Police Chief Tammany Brooks met with the staff of then-District Attorney Mark Peterson to discuss criminal options, but no charges were filed. The FBI also investigated Castillo but no federal charges were filed.
District Attorney Diana Becton, elected last year, is now investigating “everything that’s been raised” in records released about Castillo, her spokesman Scott Alonso said Thursday. Antioch never made a formal submission of charges against Castillo, but the DA’s office was involved in the case.
The internal records released by the Police Department late Monday revealed that an inspector in the DA’s office participated alongside an Antioch investigator in at least one interview of an unnamed informant about Castillo’s involvement with criminals.
“It was a request for investigative assistance,” Alonso said, adding that it was the DA’s office only involvement at the time. The information from that one interview was not enough to launch an independent investigation in the district attorney’s office, Alonso said. Brooks later met with Peterson’s staff, but no charges were filed.


