A rare outbreak of botulism has hospitalized nine people and killed one man in northern California, health officials say.
The outbreak began early last month when several people fell ill after eating nacho cheese sauce bought at a gas station in Walnut Grove, just outside Sacramento.
Health officials removed four batches of nacho cheese sauce from the Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station on May 5. Now, that cheese has tested positive for the botulinum toxin, the California Department of Public Health says.
In a statement issued Monday, the department said it "believes there is no continuing risk to the public."
The man who died, Martin Galindo, had been in the hospital for several weeks before his death, according to a GoFundMe page created by his family. He had been on a ventilator and eventually fell into a coma.