"For this starter, I season diced raw tuna and serve with shredded radishes and bagel chips. Walnut oil gives the dish a wonderful taste, but you can use olive oil if you prefer." --Jacques Pépin
Recipe: Tuna Tartare with Bagel Chips and Radishes
Serves 4 as First Course
- One 8-ounce cleaned tuna steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mild onion
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 3 or 4 large radishes, trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 bagel chips
- 12 oil-cured black olives, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped
- fresh chives
- Combine the tuna, salt, Tabasco, onion, and scallions in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- At serving time, grate enough radishes on the large holes of a box grater to measure 21/2 cups. Season the grated radishes with the salt and pepper. Divide the radishes among four plates and spread them out to create a ring on each plate.
- Spoon the tuna mixture into the radish rings.
- Stand 4 bagel chips around the tuna on each plate, scatter the olives over the radishes, and sprinkle with the oil and chives. Serve.
For the Tuna
Recipe from Heart & Soul in the Kitchen by Jacques Pépin. Copyright © 2015 by Jacques Pépin. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.