Feed your foodie soul with Check, Please! You Gotta Try This!, KQED’s new spin-off series hosted by Leslie Sbrocco. Listen in as locals reveal their recommendations for the most delectable dishes in the Bay Area — from tasty appetizers and entrees to sinful desserts. These are the foods people love so much they’d stand happily in a long line to savor. And if you’re wondering why something is so delicious, the chefs will take us into their kitchens to see what’s in a dish and how it’s made, as well as share the stories behind them. Each episode is capped off by a segment where producer/reporter Cecilia Phillips hunts down off-the-grid dining experiences for even more delicious bites.
You can catch Check, Please! You Gotta Try This! on Thursdays starting September 9 through October 28 at 7:30 PM on KQED 9. Here’s a taste of what you’ll see.
September 9 (Featuring Special Celebrity Guests!)
- Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Fantastic Negrito samples the savory Omu Curry, a jet-black curry served atop omurice, at Dela Curo in Oakland.
- Award-winning director and actor Margo Hall delights in the iconic Chicken Milanese at San Francisco's Garibaldis Restaurant.
- Oakland Roots soccer player Max Ornstil joins 50 years of devotees of the Chocolate & Vanilla Frozen Yogurt at Berkeley's Yogurt Park.
- Reporter Cecilia Phillips visits Fantastic Negrito’s Storefront Market in Oakland to sample Mexican-inspired BBQ.
- Flavorful Brussel Sprout Tacos with garam masala-spiced pepitas and yogurt dressing at Paper Plane (San Jose)
- House-made Italian comfort food Asiago Roasted Zucchini Ravioli at Ravioli House (San Mateo)
- Pacifica Brewery’s PB Burger, where beer onions meet sharp cheddar on a handmade pretzel bun (Pacifica)
- Cecilia heads to Grand Lake Farmers' Market in Oakland to try traditional Ethiopian coffee, Moroccan Briowat and hand-rolled bagels.
- A unique Beef Hot Dog with Hawaiian flair at Altamont General Store (Occidental)
- Italian cuisine meets Indian flavors with “The Best Indian Pizza - Vegetarian” at Zante Pizza & Indian Cuisine (San Francisco)
- Taiwan Bento’s Fried Pork Chop Bento, the ultimate Taiwanese comfort food (Oakland)
- Cecilia visits the Roseland neighborhood in Santa Rosa to experience the Mitote Food Park, a combination farmers' market and food truck park dishing up Mexican specialties and fresh-grown produce.
- Sweet, flaky Kouign Amann at Arsicault Bakery (San Francisco)
- Mouth-watering, fresh Crispy La Calaca Loca Especial Grilled Pescado Tacos at La Calaca Loca Taqueria (Oakland)
- Brasswood Bar + Kitchen’s off-menu Hand-Pulled Mozzarella, a local favorite (St. Helena)
- From tiny finger limes to raw, white corn and pennywort herb, Cecilia snacks on a bounty of colorful produce and prepared items, like tree oyster mushroom jerky, at San Francisco’s historic Alemany Farmers' Market.
- A garden-fresh, fragrant Rose and Strawberry Waffle at Mints & Honey (San Carlos)
- A hearty, traditional Columbian Beef Empanada at Milohas (San Jose)
- Delicate, steamed Xiao Long Bao, handmade soup dumplings, at Din Ding Dumpling House (Union City)
- Cecilia visits a unique cluster of South Asian and Indian Food trucks in Sunnyvale to do a mini "chaat crawl" and taste authentic street foods.
- Sizzling, savory Sisigsilog at Tselogs (Daly City)
- Beef Tartare with a twist at Ernest (San Francisco)
- Handmade black bean noodle dish Jajangmyeon at Zazang Korean Noodles (San Francisco)
- Cecilia finds tasty treats with Asian influence at Japan Center Mall in San Francisco.
- Pacifica Pan-Fried Frittata with smoked salmon at Bacon (Novato)
- Tender Steak Frites with Point Reyes Blue Cheese Butter at Due West Tavern (Olema)
- Spit-roasted pork Al Pastor Burrito at Al Pastor Papi (Food Truck)
- Cecilia sets out to SPARK Social SF to try some of the region's most beloved fast-casual restaurants on wheels.
- Thin, delicate Swedish Pancakes with lingonberry butter at Millbrae Pancake House, a fan-favorite for more than 60 years (Millbrae)
- Lamb and Beef Shawarma Bowl with fresh hummus and flame-roasted meat at Falafel Boy (Oakland)
- Savory braised beef short rib Kalbijjim (an Instagram favorite!) at Daeho (San Francisco)
- Cecilia dives into housemade specialties like fresh halibut ceviche and smoked salmon at Anna’s Seafood Fish Market in Petaluma.