250 grams blanched flour
Pinch of salt
125 grams butter, softened at room temperature
2 egg yolks
12 apples, peeled and cored but left whole
1/2 lb butter
1 cup white sugar
1. Mix the flour and the salt together. Place the mixture on a workspace and make a well in the middle of the flour. Add the soft butter and mix it gently, not too much, until it is just incorporated. While mixing, add 1 egg yolk and the water until the dough is compact. You don't want to mix the dough too much. The lesser, the better.
2. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Roll the dough into a sheet, fold it, and repeat the process 4 times.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Stuff butter inside the apples and rub more on their exterior as well.
4. Put the apples in a roasting pan and cover them with aluminum foil. Roast the apples for about 40 minutes, until the apples are soft. Let them cool. Leave the oven on.
5. Heat the sugar in a pan until it caramelizes and add the butter little by little. Mix it in well, making sure that it does not break, and pour the caramel into a deep baking pan. Let it cool.