For me, margaritas are a summertime staple. Having a warm day, chased with bright citrus fruit and tequila, all in a salt-rimmed glass is just one of my favorite things. That said, I also love seasonal margaritas, like this roasted grapefruit and habanero margarita.
Instead of being tart as one would expect from a grapefruit-based drink, this margarita is slightly smokey, crisp, and just a little spicy. It's perfect for winter. It's also perfect for the Big Game as there isn't a food or snack it won't go with.
Recipe: Roasted Grapefruit & Habanero Margarita
1. Halve the habanero pepper. Now, be careful doing this because these little babies can burn. Do not rub your eyes or any other sensitive area without washing your hands thoroughly first.
2. Add the habanero slices to the tequila and let it steep for about three hours, or longer if you really want a kick!
3. Slice five of the grapefruits in half and place them on a baking sheet. Place them in the broiler for about 10 minutes, or until the skins have roasted and shriveled and the pink flesh becomes charred.
4. Remove the grapefruit and let them cool. When they are just warm to the touch, juice them and place the juice in the fridge to cool.
5. Once the tequila is ready, combine it along with the grapefruit juice, the juice of two limes, the grand marnier and the remaining fruit, cut into slices.