I love one-pan meals. No particular reason why as I actually enjoy doing dishes but cooking a meal all in one pan feels great, like I cheated somehow. You know?
This breakfast-y meal is a favorite of mine. Not only perfect in the morning, but it is also great as a quick dinner. It's hearty, fairly healthy and extremely tasty.
Recipe: Spicy Sweet Potato Hash and Eggs
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1 small red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 eggs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by cutting the sweet potato into 1/2" cubes. I do this by first cutting the potato in half, width-wise. Then cutting both halves in half, length-wise. I find these piece much easier to work with. I then cut the halves into 1/2" slices and then cube them. These smaller cubes are preferred because they will cook faster and work better with the eggs baked on top. You could also shred them.
2. Trim the garlic and mince it along with the serrano chiles. If you are sensitive to spice, you might want to try this recipe out with only one serrano.
3. Peel and chop the onion.
4. In a large iron skillet, add enough olive oil to coat the pan and then warm it over a medium-high heat. When the oil is glistening, add in the garlic, onion and serrano. Reduce the heat to medium-low and sauté the mixture until it becomes aromatic. You should smell the onions and garlic with a slight heat to it.
5. Add in the sweet potatoes and toss them so they are all coated by the oil. Increase the heat back to medium-high and cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 25 minutes. At this time, pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
6. When the potatoes have fully cooked, turn off the heat and crack the 6 eggs on top of the potatoes, spacing them out evenly.
7. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until the whites are set and cooked. Now, you want to do this in an oven-safe pan or your going to have one hot mess on your hands.