Photos: Vic Chin, Video: Vic Chin and Peter Ruocco
I have been making a version of these for several years, especially around Thanksgiving where they've become a real hit with my friends and family. I can’t wait to start making this dish when the weather cools and Brussels sprouts start making their appearance at the farmer’s market.
The sweet potato adds the perfect amount of natural sweetness to match the bitter, salty sprouts and the fenugreek pesto adds a uniquely herby flavor, as well as a tang from the vinegar.
Curry Leaf Ginger Brussels Sprouts
Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium garnet yam, cut into medium dice
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into medium dice
- 1 medium purple potato, cut into medium dice
- 3 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons JBC Chaat Masala (see recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons Ginger Curry Leaf Butter (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ cup Fenugreek Pesto (see recipe below)
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine garnet yam, sweet potato, and purple potato with enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, over high heat, heat oil until just about smoking. Add sprouts and stir to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally until sprouts are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir to combine. Add the JBC Chaat Masala, Ginger Curry Leaf Butter, and salt; stir to fully incorporate and continue cooking until the butter melts and the edges of the vegetables begin to brown.
- To serve, spread a generous tablespoon of the Fenugreek Pesto on each plate, then top with the sauteed vegetables.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.
Ginger Curry Leaf Butter
Makes 2 cups