Growing up in Texas, I've always had a particular fondness for a good praline — a sweet treat made from caramelized sugar and studded with toasted nuts. While the French use almonds for their pralines, in the American South, we use pecans due to the abundance of pecan trees. Late in the fall, Mom and I would go on long walks to forage for fallen nuts around our neighborhood to bring home and roast.
There's something about the holidays that make rich, buttery pralines extra special so here's an extra special recipe made with sous vide cannabis-infused butter*. The medicated praline is then drizzled over popcorn to make a fun giftable snack for your loved ones — perfect for the holidays, birthdays, or special occasions. You can also use regular butter if you'd like to keep it friendly for everyone!
This praline popcorn is easy-to-make and to package up for holiday gifting. Pro tip: Add a desiccant pack to prevent the praline popcorn from getting stale. You can purchase affordable ones on Amazon.
Cannabis-Infused Praline Popcorn
Makes 8 servings
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp cannabis-infused butter* (or regular unsalted)
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Set popped popcorn aside in a large bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add light brown sugar, salted butter, cannabis-infused butter, and light corn syrup. Gently stir until both butters have melted and the mixture reaches a slow bubble. Stop stirring and allow the mixture to boil untouched for 3-4 minutes, the color will turn a golden brown and the texture will be fluffy.
- Remove from the heat immediately and stir in vanilla extract and baking soda. The mixture will bubble and rise. Quickly fold in the pecan halves with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the praline mixture over the bowl of popcorn. Use a rubber spatula to gently coat the popcorn.
- Spread the popcorn mixture evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let the popcorn cool completely before packaging into giftable containers. Add a desiccant pack to prevent the praline popcorn from getting stale. Consume within a week.
*Please note: The amount of cannabis-infused butter specified in this recipe is a loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your butter and the potency you desire. Add regular butter in place of the medicated butter if you do not wish to consume any cannabis. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky, so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving and wait up to two hours before making an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.