2 ounces olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and sliced into rounds
6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked until crisp, then sliced into 1/4-inch strips
2 cups roasted tomato sauce (recipe follows)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
4 ounces butter, cut into cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 lbs fresh egg tagliolini pasta (can use egg linguine)
2 ounces fresh arugula (can use baby spinach)
12 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
Roasted Tomato Sauce
3 16-ounce cans diced plum tomato in juice
1 6-ounce can of pureed plum tomatoes (if unavailable, use diced tomato and puree in a blender)
3 ounces olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Roasted Tomato Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Drain the cans of diced tomatoes, reserving the juice. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to drain completely. Oil a cookie sheet or shallow Pyrex pan with 1 1/2 ounces of the olive oil. Spread the drained tomatoes evenly on the pan and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring often. The roasted tomatoes should be slightly caramelized and completely dry when done roasting.
3. In a heavy pot over medium-high heat, bring the reserved juice and plum tomato puree to a boil, and, stirring often, simmer the mixture until reduced by 3/4.
4. In a separate pan over medium-high heat, sauté the diced yellow onion with the remaining olive oil until lightly caramelized. Add the onions and the roasted tomatoes to the reduced tomato mixture. Stir to incorporate. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. The sauce can be made a couple of days in advance and refrigerated until needed.
For the Tagliolini Pepati
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer. Place a large, high-sided sauté pan over medium heat and heat for a few minutes. Add the olive oil and the sliced garlic and brown slightly. Add the jalapeño peppers and the bacon and cook briefly.
2. Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients and to blend the butter into the sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
3. Drop the fresh pasta into the salted, simmering water and cook for 45-60 seconds. Drain the pasta and add to the simmering sauce. Next, add the arugula, 4 ounces of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and the red pepper flakes. Serve in pasta bowls with extra grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Spicy red wine, like Zinfandel or Syrah