KQED Youth Advisory Board Program EligibilityKQED Youth Advisory Board Program Eligibility
Dear Future YAB Member,
We want to meet you, learn from you and build a deeper understanding together. Are you a team player? Are you an untapped leader who is taking care of your siblings? Are you the social organizer of your friend group? Do you like discovering new talent and trends? Are you shy but full of ideas and want to learn to share your voice? Are you a people watcher who notices things that others don’t? Do you write poetry? Do you play music? Do you want people to hear what you have to say?
This yearlong program combines communication skill-building and career exposure and culminates in you helping to create and produce content that will air on KQED for Youth Takeover Week from April 24 to April 28, 2023.
- San Francisco Bay Area high school students in grades 9th (freshman) to 12th (senior) are eligible to apply.
- Seeking students with interests in writing, social media, art, poetry, directing and editing audio & video.
- Applicants should be interested in advising and giving input on various KQED programs, products and initiatives.
- YAB members should expect to meet with industry professionals for career exposure and to build communication skills.
- Applicants should have the ability to attend a total of 15 after-school meetings on Zoom from October to May.
- Previous YAB members are encouraged to reapply.
- Immediate family members of KQED staff are ineligible.
Whether you’re outgoing or on the shy side, being comfortable working in a group and a willingness to share your opinion is essential -- and we’ll provide the tools and support to do that!
We love creative thinkers; people who don’t necessarily fit in a box; those who seek to represent non-mainstream, underrepresented voices; and anyone who’s curious and excited about all kinds of media—social media, video, podcasts, blogs and more.
What's the application process?
Interested students should complete the online application by Monday, September 5th, 2022. Select students will be contacted to schedule a phone or video interview, and accepted candidates will be notified by Friday, September 9, 2022. Selected students must accept their offer by Friday, September 16th, 2022.
When is it?
The Youth Advisory Board meets twice a month from 4:30pm to 6:00pm on Tuesdays between September and May. Our kickoff meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 20, 2021. Full meeting schedule will be shared with members upon acceptance.
Where is it?
For the 2022-2023 school year, YAB meetings will be virtual with possible hybrid live events to be determined. We want all students to have equal access to the program so we will do our best to accommodate those for whom accessing Zoom may be challenging. Any changes to meeting dates will be communicated in advance via email and within a 2 week time period.
Is there compensation?
Yes! YAB members will receive an honorarium of $500 in the form of a gift card at the end of their term.
Are there internships at KQED for high school students?
We currently offer internships for applicants age 18 and older. Learn more!
Have any questions? Email the Youth Media team at firstname.lastname@example.org