window.__IS_SSR__=true
window.__INITIAL_STATE__={
"attachmentsReducer": {
"audio_0": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "audio_0",
"imgSizes": {
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/themes/KQED-unified/img/audio_bgs/background0.jpg"
}
}
},
"audio_1": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "audio_1",
"imgSizes": {
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/themes/KQED-unified/img/audio_bgs/background1.jpg"
}
}
},
"audio_2": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "audio_2",
"imgSizes": {
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/themes/KQED-unified/img/audio_bgs/background2.jpg"
}
}
},
"audio_3": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "audio_3",
"imgSizes": {
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/themes/KQED-unified/img/audio_bgs/background3.jpg"
}
}
},
"audio_4": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "audio_4",
"imgSizes": {
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/themes/KQED-unified/img/audio_bgs/background4.jpg"
}
}
},
"placeholder": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "placeholder",
"imgSizes": {
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-160x107.jpg",
"width": 160,
"height": 107,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-800x533.jpg",
"width": 800,
"height": 533,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-768x512.jpg",
"width": 768,
"height": 512,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"large": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1020x680.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"height": 680,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"1536x1536": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1536x1024.jpg",
"width": 1536,
"height": 1024,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1536x1024.jpg",
"width": 1536,
"height": 1024,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1020x680.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"height": 680,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-800x533.jpg",
"width": 800,
"height": 533,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"height": 372,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"height": 576,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-160x107.jpg",
"width": 160,
"height": 107,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"height": 372,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"small": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"height": 372,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1020x680.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"height": 680,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1-1920x1280.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1280,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 32,
"height": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 50,
"height": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 64,
"height": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 96,
"height": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 128,
"height": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-1333x1333-1-160x160.jpg",
"width": 160,
"height": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg"
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/KQED-Default-Image-816638274-2000x1333-1.jpg",
"width": 2000,
"height": 1333
}
}
},
"forum_2010101867646": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101867646",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867646",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101867627,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-520x238.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 238
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-160x73.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 73
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-960x439.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 439
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-375x171.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 171
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 878
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1020x466.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 466
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1180x540.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1200x549.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 549
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-800x366.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 366
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1920x878.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 878
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1180x540.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-1920x878.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 878
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-768x351.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 351
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/NewsomCox2-1180x540-240x110.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 110
}
},
"publishDate": 1538776163,
"modified": 1538776195,
"caption": "Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and Republican businessman John Cox.",
"description": null,
"title": "NewsomCox2-1180x540",
"credit": "Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images, John Cox",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101867638": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101867638",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867638",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101867631,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-520x325.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 325
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-160x100.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 100
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-960x600.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 600
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-375x234.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 234
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1200
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1020x638.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 638
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1180x738.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 738
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1200x750.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 750
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-800x500.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 500
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1920x1200.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1200
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1180x738.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 738
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-1920x1200.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1200
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-768x480.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 480
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/10/4thcongressionalrace-240x150.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
}
},
"publishDate": 1538772173,
"modified": 1538772537,
"caption": null,
"description": null,
"title": "4thcongressionalrace",
"credit": "Sandy Huffaker/Getty Images and Jessica Morse",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101860561": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101860561",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101860561",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101860560,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker-.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/07/I-voted-sticker--240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1499386632,
"modified": 1499386687,
"caption": "A roll of I Voted stickers sits on a table at Oakman Elementary School during the US presidential election on November 8, 2016 in Dearborn, Michigan.",
"description": "A roll of I Voted stickers sits on a table at Oakman Elementary School during the US presidential election on November 8, 2016 in Dearborn, Michigan.",
"title": "I voted sticker",
"credit": "Jeff Kowalsky/AFP/Getty Image",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101865955": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101865955",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101865955",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101865953,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1200x675.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 675
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/06/man-pumping-gas-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1529972157,
"modified": 1529972212,
"caption": "A customer prepares to pump gas into his truck at a Valero gas station on July 22, 2013 in Mill Valley, California.",
"description": "A customer prepares to pump gas into his truck at a Valero gas station on July 22, 2013 in Mill Valley, California.",
"title": "man-pumping-gas",
"credit": "Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101861004": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101861004",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101861004",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101861003,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2017/08/well-water-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1501800907,
"modified": 1501800954,
"caption": " Well water is pumped from the ground on April 24, 2015 in Tulare, California.",
"description": " Well water is pumped from the ground on April 24, 2015 in Tulare, California.",
"title": "well water",
"credit": "Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101854756": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101854756",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101854756",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101854755,
"imgSizes": {
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-400x225.jpg",
"width": 400,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 225
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2016/05/i-voted-stickers-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
}
},
"publishDate": 1463776182,
"modified": 1463776223,
"caption": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Californians Vote In Special Election On Budget Ballot Measures",
"credit": "Photo: David McNew/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101867378": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101867378",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867378",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101867376,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1200x675.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 675
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/conlonfortreasurer-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1537574497,
"modified": 1537574545,
"caption": "Greg Conlon is running to be California's state treasurer.",
"description": "Greg Conlon is running to be California's state treasurer.",
"title": "conlonfortreasurer",
"credit": "Photo: Courtesy of Greg Conlon",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101867265": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101867265",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867265",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101867263,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1200x675.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 675
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/09/forsalelargehousecropped-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1536963737,
"modified": 1536963789,
"caption": " A for sale sign is posted in front of a home for sale on February 23, 2015 in San Rafael, California.",
"description": " A for sale sign is posted in front of a home for sale on February 23, 2015 in San Rafael, California.",
"title": "forsalelargehousecropped",
"credit": "Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101866890": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101866890",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101866890",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101866888,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1200x675.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 675
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/laptopwithstickerscropped-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1535068530,
"modified": 1535068616,
"caption": "An attendee works on a laptop before the start of the Google I/O 2018 Conference at Shoreline Amphitheater on May 8, 2018 in Mountain View, California. ",
"description": "An attendee works on a laptop before the start of the Google I/O 2018 Conference at Shoreline Amphitheater on May 8, 2018 in Mountain View, California. ",
"title": "laptopwithstickerscropped",
"credit": "Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
},
"forum_2010101866802": {
"type": "attachments",
"id": "forum_2010101866802",
"meta": {
"index": "attachments_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101866802",
"found": true
},
"parent": 2010101866798,
"imgSizes": {
"small": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-520x293.jpg",
"width": 520,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 293
},
"twentyfourteen-full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1038x576.jpg",
"width": 1038,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 576
},
"thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-160x90.jpg",
"width": 160,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 90
},
"fd-sm": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-960x540.jpg",
"width": 960,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 540
},
"post-thumbnail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-672x372.jpg",
"width": 672,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 372
},
"xsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-375x211.jpg",
"width": 375,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 211
},
"kqedFullSize": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"height": 1080
},
"large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1020x574.jpg",
"width": 1020,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 574
},
"xlarge": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"complete_open_graph": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1200x675.jpg",
"width": 1200,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 675
},
"guest-author-50": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-50x50.jpg",
"width": 50,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 50
},
"guest-author-96": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-96x96.jpg",
"width": 96,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 96
},
"medium": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-800x450.jpg",
"width": 800,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 450
},
"guest-author-64": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-64x64.jpg",
"width": 64,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 64
},
"guest-author-32": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-32x32.jpg",
"width": 32,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 32
},
"fd-lrg": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"fd-med": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1180x664.jpg",
"width": 1180,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 664
},
"full-width": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-1920x1080.jpg",
"width": 1920,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 1080
},
"detail": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-150x150.jpg",
"width": 150,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 150
},
"medium_large": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-768x432.jpg",
"width": 768,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 432
},
"guest-author-128": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-128x128.jpg",
"width": 128,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 128
},
"xxsmall": {
"file": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/sites/43/2018/08/votelanguagesigncropped-240x135.jpg",
"width": 240,
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"height": 135
}
},
"publishDate": 1534552004,
"modified": 1534552105,
"caption": "A multi-language'Vote Here sign' leads to the voting room as a man who'd just cast his vote steps out on election day at Brooklyn Avenue Elementary School in the primarily Latino East LA neighborhood of Boyle Heights on November 8, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.",
"description": "A multi-language'Vote Here sign' leads to the voting room as a man who'd just cast his vote steps out on election day at Brooklyn Avenue Elementary School in the primarily Latino East LA neighborhood of Boyle Heights on November 8, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.",
"title": "votelanguagesigncropped",
"credit": "Frederic J. Brown/AFP/Getty Images",
"status": "inherit",
"isLoading": false,
"fetchFailed": false
}
},
"audioPlayerReducer": {
"postId": "stream_live",
"isPaused": true,
"isPlaying": false,
"pfsActive": false,
"pledgeModalIsOpen": true,
"playerDrawerIsOpen": false,
"liveAudioPlayStartedAt": 0,
"liveAudioPlayContext": ""
},
"authorsReducer": {
"2010101854226": {
"type": "authors",
"id": "2010101854226",
"meta": {
"override": true
},
"slug": "2010101854226",
"name": "Scott Shafer",
"firstName": "Scott",
"lastName": "Shafer",
"bio": "",
"email": "",
"isLoading": false
},
"byline_forum_2010101867631": {
"type": "authors",
"id": "byline_forum_2010101867631",
"meta": {
"override": true
},
"slug": "byline_forum_2010101867631",
"name": "Katie Orr",
"isLoading": false
},
"mkrasny": {
"type": "authors",
"id": "11247",
"meta": {
"index": "authors_1716337520",
"id": "11247",
"found": true
},
"name": "Michael Krasny",
"firstName": "Michael",
"lastName": "Krasny",
"slug": "mkrasny",
"email": "mkrasny@kqed.org",
"display_author_email": false,
"staff_mastheads": [],
"title": "KQED Contributor",
"bio": "Michael Krasny was the former host of the program, Forum. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He was a Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.",
"avatar": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/243c9ef51f3b90a42850d3a766d24865?s=600&d=blank&r=g",
"twitter": null,
"facebook": null,
"instagram": null,
"linkedin": null,
"sites": [
{
"site": "forum",
"roles": [
"subscriber"
]
}
],
"headData": {
"title": "Michael Krasny | KQED",
"description": "KQED Contributor",
"ogImgSrc": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/243c9ef51f3b90a42850d3a766d24865?s=600&d=blank&r=g",
"twImgSrc": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/243c9ef51f3b90a42850d3a766d24865?s=600&d=blank&r=g"
},
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/author/mkrasny"
},
"tmosley": {
"type": "authors",
"id": "11373",
"meta": {
"index": "authors_1716337520",
"id": "11373",
"found": true
},
"name": "Tonya Mosley",
"firstName": "Tonya",
"lastName": "Mosley",
"slug": "tmosley",
"email": "tmosley@kqed.org",
"display_author_email": false,
"staff_mastheads": [],
"title": "KQED Contributor",
"bio": "Tonya Mosley is a former Silicon Valley bureau chief for KQED. She served as the senior editor, leading a team of journalists covering the impacts of technology companies on the South Bay and society. Tonya is also a former host and reporter for KQED.\r\n\r\nPrior to KQED, Tonya served as a television reporter & anchor for several media outlets, including Al Jazeera America.\r\n\r\nIn 2015, Tonya was awarded a John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship at Stanford University where she co-created a workshop for journalists on the impacts of implicit bias, and co-wrote a Belgian/American experimental study on the effects of protest coverage.\r\n\r\nTonya has won several national awards for her work, most recently an Emmy Award in 2016 for her televised piece \"Beyond Ferguson,\" and a national Edward R. Murrow award for her public radio series \"Black in Seattle.\"\r\n\r\nYou can reach Tonya at: tmosley@kqed.org.",
"avatar": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/0b2ea2bbfed6bafaacd21e9398c68e5e?s=600&d=blank&r=g",
"twitter": "tonyamosley",
"facebook": null,
"instagram": null,
"linkedin": null,
"sites": [
{
"site": "arts",
"roles": [
"editor"
]
},
{
"site": "news",
"roles": [
"subscriber"
]
},
{
"site": "about",
"roles": [
"author"
]
},
{
"site": "forum",
"roles": [
"author"
]
}
],
"headData": {
"title": "Tonya Mosley | KQED",
"description": "KQED Contributor",
"ogImgSrc": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/0b2ea2bbfed6bafaacd21e9398c68e5e?s=600&d=blank&r=g",
"twImgSrc": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/0b2ea2bbfed6bafaacd21e9398c68e5e?s=600&d=blank&r=g"
},
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/author/tmosley"
}
},
"pagesReducer": {
"forum_tag_election-2018": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_568",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "568",
"score": 9.557208
},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Election 2018",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Election 2018 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 568,
"slug": "election-2018",
"isLoading": false,
"title": "Election 2018",
"pageMeta": {
"site": "forum",
"WpPageTemplate": "page-topic-editorial",
"currentPage": 3
},
"blocks": [
{
"blockName": "kqed/post-list",
"attrs": {
"layout": "cardArticle2",
"query": "posts/forum?tag=election-2018",
"seeMore": false,
"paginated": true,
"page": 3
}
},
{
"blockName": "kqed/ad"
}
]
}
},
"pfsSessionReducer": {},
"postsReducer": {
"stream_live": {
"type": "live",
"id": "stream_live",
"audioUrl": "https://streams.kqed.org/kqedradio",
"title": "Live Stream",
"excerpt": "Live Stream information currently unavailable.",
"link": "/radio",
"featImg": "",
"label": {
"name": "KQED Live",
"link": "/"
}
},
"stream_kqedNewscast": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "stream_kqedNewscast",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/RDnews/newscast.mp3?_=1",
"title": "KQED Newscast",
"featImg": "",
"label": {
"name": "88.5 FM",
"link": "/"
}
},
"forum_2010101867627": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867627",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867627",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1539018000000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538773218,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Cox, Newsom Face Off in Final California Gubernatorial Debate",
"headTitle": "Cox, Newsom Face Off in Final California Gubernatorial Debate | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>In this special edition of KQED’s Forum, California Gubernatorial candidates Republican John Cox and Democrat Gavin Newsom join host Scott Shafer in studio for a wide-ranging conversation about their priorities and visions for the state.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Links:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/news/11697413/gavin-newsom-john-cox-spar-on-housing-criminal-justice-in-wide-ranging-debate\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Gavin Newsom, John Cox Spar on Housing, Criminal Justice in Wide-Ranging Debate\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/elections\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">KQED’s Full Election Coverage\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Debate Transcript\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:01] This is a special edition of KQED Forum, a debate in the race for governor between Gavin Newsom and John Cox. I’m Scott Shafer, KQED’s senior editor for politics and government. Newsom, the Democrat, is promising bold action to help families and children. And he’s pledging to continue California’s role opposing the Trump administration. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:00:20] Voters will have a real choice this November between a governor who’s going to stand up to Donald Trump and a foot soldier in his war on California. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:30] But Republican businessman John Cox says government spending is out of control, with regulations and the high cost of living pricing people out of California. And he says: don’t blame Republicans. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:00:41] It wasn’t Donald Trump who made California the highest tax state in the country. It was Gavin Newsom and the Democrats. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:50] John Cox and Gavin Newsom: one of them will be the next governor. They’re both here to share their vision for the state. And we’ll get started right now. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:00] And welcome to this special edition of KQED Forum: a debate about the future of California and who should be the next governor, with John Cox and Gavin Newsom. I’m Scott Shafer, KQED senior editor for politics and government, and before we hear from the candidates, I just want to let everyone know that this will not be a formal debate with the exact same questions to each candidate and strict time limits for answers, that kind of thing, instead it’s going to be more of a wide ranging conversation with lots of give and take, and hopefully by the end, you’ll have a better sense of who these two candidates are and what kind of governor they’d be. So let’s get started. Republican John Cox is a businessman who lives in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego. Mr. Cox, welcome. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:01:38] Thank you for having me. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:39] And Democrat Gavin Newsom is the lieutenant governor and former mayor of San Francisco. Mr. Newsom, welcome to you as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:01:44] Great to be here; thanks for having us. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:46] Well, we flipped a coin to see who was going to go first. And so we’re going to begin with you, Mr. Newsom. And the same question will be to you afterwards, Mr. Cox. What’s your vision for California and how do you think it’s different from the other guy? And I’m going to ask you to keep it relatively short. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:01:59] Well I think at the end of the day we’re all better off when we’re all better off, and so any vision has to be an inclusive vision, the Commonwealth. The fact is the issue that defines all other issues from my perspective in this state is the issue of wealth disparity and income inequality, the issue of social mobility, the California dream. It’s an interesting fact there are only two dreams: the American dream and the California dream. There’s no Iowa dream, New Hampshire dream; there’s no Nevada dream, but the California dream is predicated on social mobility. The richest and the poorest state; we have to mind that gap. We have to address the issue of cost of housing. We have to address the issue of affordability broadly. We have to address the issue of homelessness and we have to tackle the vexing issue of health care, and the issues related to health care that are devouring the state budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:02:43] And we’re going to get to many of those issues in just a moment…Mr. Cox, what’s your vision? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:02:47] Well my vision of California is where people can afford to buy a house or, or pay rent that’s affordable. They can afford gasoline; they can afford water, electricity. They can send their children to a school that’s not failing; that’s not near the bottom. They don’t have to live in fear of fires. They, they don’t have to see homeless all over the street. You know, Gavin has been part of the political class that has led the state downward. I have a vision of this state being affordable and livable for people. I think we can do that if we get rid of the special interest influence in Sacramento. The interest groups that inhabit Sacramento benefit from the status quo. The status quo isn’t working for average working Californians; they can’t afford to live here, and that’s why they’re leaving. I represent change. We’re going to start talking about reforming our broken political system day one when I’m the governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:03:42] All right and we’re going to talk about many of those things. But both of you mentioned affordability. So let’s talk about housing. I think everybody agrees there is a housing crisis in California: just not enough supply to meet demand, and what’s out there is either unaffordable to buy, or in many cases to rent. And California is also almost dead last in housing construction per capita. I mean Utah is 50, we’re 49, and there are a lot of reasons for that. But I’m wondering, do you think, and I’ll start with you, Mr. Cox: do you think that there is too much local control when it comes to housing that enables, whether it’s local governments or interest groups, to kill housing or slow it down so that it ends up costing too much money? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:22] First of all, I’m in the housing business. I started 30 years ago and I build apartments for a living. I can build apartments in other states that I operate in for a fourth or a fifth of what they cost to build in California. And the reason is red tape, taxes, lawsuits, approval processes that take forever. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:04:43] To be clear, though, you’ve been building in other states, right. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:45] I have. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:04:46] Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:47] And it’s government that has driven up the cost of housing in California. Now, we have to exercise leadership from Sacramento, and I will certainly do that because we do need to build a lot of housing, but we need to build that housing in a cost effective way with lower costs. Now, I certainly want local authorities to be involved in the process, and they have to be involved in the process. I’ve sat on local zoning boards in the past and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:12] Do they have too much power now? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:05:13] No, I don’t think they do. No, I think they should have power, but I think there’s also can be leadership that’s exercised from the top. One of the things that I would do is reform CEQA, which has been turned into an effort by trial lawyers to sue competitors and stop development and that’s limiting the supply of housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:30] That’s the California Environmental Quality Act… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:05:33] Absolutely. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:34] …signed by Ronald Reagan, actually, I think, in 1970. Mr. Newsom, what about you: housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:05:38] Now, look, you’re right. We’re 49th out of 50 of them per capita housing units and you’re correct – Utah is the only state producing less housing. And the fact is, we’re producing about 100000, plus or minus, housing units on an annual basis in order to create some price equilibrium in this state. From a production perspective, we’ve got to be developing close to four times that number. So you’re right: it is a issue of production, but it’s also an issue of intentionality, or lack thereof. There are no statewide housing goals in California: no timelines, no objectives, no strategies to organize at the local level, the kind of determination to address this legitimate affordability crisis as it relates to your question about localism. Yes, localism is determinative, but there’s a certain point where the NIMBYism…there’s a certain point with a lack of focus in terms of producing the requisite housing that’s required in this state. There is a certain point where the state of California needs to intervene. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:06:31] How? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:06:32] Incentivize good behavior or disincentivize bad behavior. One of the specific plans of the 15 specific plans we have to address this housing crisis comes the issue of allocation of tax revenue. Mayors have a perverse disincentives for housing. Mayors actually have an incentive for big box retail. Mayors collect, cities collect retail sales tax; they don’t collect property tax. We would like to have that debate about reallocating that tax base. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:06:59] You’re talking about reforming Prop 13? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:07:00] We’re talking about a tax conversation around this housing conversation… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:07:03] Is Prop 13 on the table? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:07:04] …that everything’s on the table as it relates to this issue. This is the issue that defines the affordability crisis. Number two: I think you also have to be a bit punitive as it relates to local government. I think one of the proposals that to me is most interesting and intriguing actually comes from this region: the MTC, or Metropolitan Transit Commission, is talking about utilizing their ability to take discretionary transit dollars and allocate those transit dollars to municipalities that are meeting their housing production goals and taking those dollars away from those that are not. That’s just two specific examples of how we can address… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:07:39] Mr. Cox, you go ahead, you mentioned CEQA, so if you want to talk about that… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:07:42] What I didn’t hear in any of that, by the way, and Gavin has been in office for 16 years here in California, and he’s not done much about this problem as it’s gotten worse and worse and worse. We’ve got to bring down the cost of housing, and it’s not enough just to apply incentives and disincentives; what we also have to do is make sure that we shorten the approval frame. We, we’ve got to make sure that we… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:08:04] How do you do that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:08:05] …reduce, well, I think we, we work with local authorities, frankly, to basically modify a lot of these state laws that are making the process longer and longer and longer. It takes 12, 15 years. I can build in Indiana and I can get approvals within six months. Other states that have Democratic governors can build housing a lot faster, a lot less costly than California. I fail to believe that we can’t build housing that’s more cost effective and available for people. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:08:34] And Scott, just cause there’s an important point on CEQA: in the past, John has argued for eliminating CEQA, not reforming it – he called for its elimination. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:08:42] Specifically, I said to eliminate it and replace it with something that’s more workable. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:08:45] Yeah, and so I believe in more categorical exemptions for socially desirable projects for, excuse the wonkiness around this, more programmatic environmental impact reports to address the issue of predevelopment risk. I do believe the issue of time, value of money, in essence what John is getting out, is an important part of the solution as well. Again, that’s why there’s no one single strategy that’s going to address this issue. That’s why we’ve laid out 15. I hope we can compare and contrast, the listeners, compare and contrast our proposals, our specific, tangible plans, because there is a profound contrast in the two. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:18] No, I have a lot of specific plans, and of course, those plans don’t mean anything unless you’re willing to go up against the special interests and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:09:25] What does that mean? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:25] Well, these are interest groups that benefit… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:09:28] Which ones? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:29] …environmental groups that fund the Legislature, as well as fund Gavin’s campaign. We’ve got to take that money out of that, you know, out of that game, and we’ve got to make sure that we change the status quo. I’m someone who is going to work to change that status quo, and all these plans don’t mean a thing if we can’t change a lot of these laws that are adding to the costs, that are driving housing prices and apartment prices through the roof. There is no good reason why I’m able to build other places for a lot less cost than in California. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:00] One way to take the money out of this whole thing would be public financing of campaigns. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:10:03] No, that doesn’t do it, because then you have independent expenditures that are financed by these groups, you know, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:09] How do you do it then? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:10:09] Well, we’ll talk about that after I’m elected governor. I’ve got a lot of reform ideas, and there’s other reform ideas out there, but the fact of the matter is: the status quo isn’t working. We need change, we need to build affordable housing for people, and the rents. When I travel around the state, I talk to, at the Sriracha plant, I talked to Felipe Martinez, who’s renting a one bedroom apartment for himself and 4 children paying fifteen hundred dollars a month. People keep moving farther and farther away from their jobs because they can’t afford a house and then they get hit with this gas tax, which I hope we’re going to… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:45] We’ll talk about that, yeah. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:10:48] Scott, what you heard again – no specific strategies. Let me give you a specific strategy to address the example that John just advanced. We have a desire to take our 85 million dollar affordable housing tax credit, increase that over the next few years to five hundred million dollars to leverage more financing for affordable housing. We have strategies to address workforce housing. Those were where the jobs go to sleep, the quote unquote missing middle, for middle class families. We have specific strategies to address the issue of tax increment. We lost redevelopment years ago and we never came up with successor agencies. We have specific goals on enhanced infrastructure financing districts in the state taking advantage of these opportunity zones. Again, what you heard from John is an illusory strategy where he criticizes and identifies problems, but with all due respect, doesn’t have the details and the strategies to actually solve the problem. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:11:38] What you heard from Gavin is more government, more plans to pay out money from government, tax credits, plans for government financing, but if you don’t really attack the cost of building – the delays in building, the litigation, the lawsuits, the impact fees that are put on housing in the state – if you don’t do that, what you’re going to do is institutionalize these high rents. I don’t want rents costing 3000 dollars for a two bedroom apartment, and then have government come along and subsidize people for a short time. That’s going to put us even more in debt and it’s not addressing the problem. And I have specific plans on dealing with that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:12:14] Alright, let’s move to a new topic. Voters, you know, have a right to know who you guys are: what your values are, how you work, what kind of governor you’d be, because if you win, you’re gonna have to work with the Legislature and you’re gonna be appointing department heads and all this stuff. So I have a question, a different question, for each of you, starting with you, Mr. Newsom. Throughout your career, you’ve had a series of public spats, shall we say, with elected officials, Board of Supervisors. When you were mayor, there were a lot of back and forth comments, and sometimes, when you would get asked a tough question by reporters, you didn’t like it. You were somewhat, say, thin skinned. As lieutenant governor, you had a difficult relationship with Jerry Brown at the beginning – you tangled publicly with the State Senate President Pro Tem over gun control. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:12:56] Yeah, certainly. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:12:56] And also, a back and forth with the Speaker, Anthony Rendon, over single payer. So, my question is, like, what does that say about your ability to get along with the people you need to get along with? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:13:06] Well, I get along extraordinarily well with the Legislature. Currently, I get along, I got along very well with most of the members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, but I’m interested in change. You know, changing the order of things is difficult. Some people have different points of view. The Speaker has a different point of view on single payer financing. Members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors had different points of view on homeless strategies and different points of view on health care strategies. So look, I’m going to assert myself; I’m going to be bold. Not many people came to my defense when we advanced same sex marriage. You didn’t include that. You should, because the overwhelming majority of Democrats in this country, some of the most, I think, well-known Democratic leaders, were very, very critical, publicly, of my willingness to lean into that. I took on the National Rifle Association and they weren’t pleased by those efforts to require background checks, not just for gun purchases, but now ammunition purchases. So, if you’re looking for timidity, I’m not your person. If you’re looking for someone to be bold and courageous, lean into issues, change the order of things, I’m committing myself to that cause as the next governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:04] Do you think that you can be bold and not timid without getting in spats with your allies? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:14:10] Periodic. Look, I’ve been doing this for some time, and there’s areas of disagreement, and sometimes people are disagreeable. My intention is to go together and not go alone. I learned a lot over the years and my approach and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:20] What have you learned from those experiences? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:14:22] I think, at the end of the day, you know, there is that African proverb that is, “If you want to go fast go alone. But if you want to go far go together.” You know, when I look back over the course of 20 plus years, I was mayor at a relatively young age. There was a desire to do everything all at once. And I think issues of prioritizing, bringing people into your vision, making people feel part of the team. Those are all lessons. Those are all attributes I hope to bring to the government. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:45] Alright, and I have a question for you, Mr. Cox. Did you want to say something really fast? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:14:48] Yeah, I just wanted to emphasize that, you know, I come from the private sector where I have to work with people and get things done and achieve results, and I’ve done that for 40 years and, not everybody in my team agrees with everything that we have, but what we’ve got to do is, we’ve got to get people aligned around common goals and try to figure out the ways to reach those goals. And I think that’s what I’m gonna do as governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:07] And for you, I have a question about values. You started off your political life as a Democrat. You ran in Illinois to be a delegate to the 1976 Democratic convention. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:15] Yep. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:15] Then you became a Republican and you ran for local office in Chicago and then the U.S. Senate from Illinois, a guy named Barack Obama won that, and you ran for president in 2007, 2008. And I just want to read, refresh some of the points you made during those times. You said, we need a federal marriage amendment to keep same sex couples from marrying. You said, we have, and I’m quoting, “We have a problem with transvestite teachers.” You said that if we don’t use common sense we will, quote, “open the floodgates to polygamy and bestiality and all kinds of other things.” And you know, I could go on, but I guess I’m asking is: what does that say about your values, and about your, what kind of governor you’d be. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:54] You’re specifically referring to, you know, the issue of gay marriage. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:56] I have others; I do have others. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:58] Well, maybe so, but you know, the fact of the matter is that those were many, many years ago. I’ve evolved on those issues, and frankly just like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, who both opposed gay marriage very strongly for a long time. They evolve and they change. But, you know, I think the thing to take away from all that is that all the way through my efforts in the past, I’ve been fighting against the establishment and about corruption. You know, my mom was a Chicago schoolteacher. That’s what led me to want to fight corruption. It’s the corruption of these special interests that are making California too expensive and too unequal for people, and that’s what I’m going to attack in California as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:16:35] You say you’ve evolved and that’s fair, although he was mayor at the time that you said those things. It wasn’t like a long, long time ago, I mean, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:16:45] Well, maybe so, but as recently as 2003 and 2004, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were both against gay marriage, so, you know. I’ve evolved on those issues and I think they are not going to be germane to this. I think the important issues in this race are the affordability for people in this state, the ability to live a productive life and afford gasoline and water and electricity and, you know, the failing schools that we’re having to put up with – I think those are far more important issues. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:17:14] Scott, what is germane though is to understand more fully, look, it’s one thing to have, quote unquote, evolved on same sex marriage and I certainly respect that. But you supported a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage. You said, you equated, and Scott mentioned this, and I haven’t heard you evolve on this, that homosexuality leads to beastiality. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:17:31] No I didn’t say that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:17:32] Well you did, and you’re quoted saying that, and to quote unquote other things, you talked about transvestites as a way of advancing the notion that some people can choose to be home schooled to stay away from quote unquote transvestites. Have you evolved on those specific points? People have the right to know that, John. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:17:48] I have. And you know, again, this is all meant to take the topic away from the important things that people are worried about here in this state and that is the ability to rent a decent apartment at an affordable price. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:00] We’re gonna talk about that, but… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:18:02] You should be against discrimination against renting as well. The LGBT community is concerned about that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:18:05] I’m opposed to discrimination of all forms. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:08] We’re coming up on a break, but real quickly for each of you, which one of you represents the mainstream of California better? Mr. Cox? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:18:13] I think I do because I represent the people who are just trying to get by. I wasn’t put in office by billionaires. You know, I had to work my way up; I had to struggle all the way through, and that’s something that, I think, the people of the state identify with. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer: \u003c/strong>[00:18:28] 15 seconds. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:18:29] No, I say, I certainly think we represent the vast majority of Californians that reject John Cox’s absolute allegiance to Trump and Trumpism and his long standing advocacy for causes that I don’t think the vast majority of Californians embrace. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:43] Alright, you’re listening to the gubernatorial debate on KQED. I’m Scott Shafer. We’re going to take a very short break and we’ll be right back. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:20:00] And welcome back to KQED. We’re talking with John Cox, the Republican candidate for governor, and Gavin Newsom, the Democrat. Let’s switch topics and talk about criminal justice. Last month, Governor Brown signed a couple of bills giving the public, under certain conditions, more access to police personnel records and the video from police body cameras. Would you have signed either of those, Mr. Cox? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:20:21] No, I wouldn’t have, and let me tell you, I think we have a serious crime problem right here in this city. Now, San Francisco is the number one city for property crimes, and, you know, Gavin was mayor here for eight years. He didn’t solve the homeless problem here at all, and it’s gotten worse, and now, and not only that, but Gavin was also the only statewide official to endorse Prop 47, which redefined a lot of felonies as misdemeanors. That’s a serious issue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:20:50] And I’ll give him a chance, but we’re talking about transparency. Those bills are specifically about transparency. Tell me why you wouldn’t have signed them. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:20:55] I favor transparency. I certainly favor transparency, but I think we have to work more with our law enforcement and give them the tools and the ability to deal with, you know, particular situations. I regret the gulf between the police and, you know, people in the neighborhoods. I think there has to be a lot more communication. I think we have to foster that. But going after the police and opening up, you know, private personnel records, I think is, you know, it’s just kind of, it creates a fishing expedition for trial lawyers. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:21:32] I don’t know how you can be pro transparency and oppose that bill. Twenty seven states provide quote unquote some access to those records. What we did is reconcile that. There was a lot of compromise; there was a lot of work with law enforcement before it got on the governor’s desk. To the governor’s credit, he led a lot of those efforts to find common ground and compromise. It’s about transparency; it’s also about trust. And I am someone who believes, very passionately and very enthusiastically, am very supportive of the men and women in uniform. Same time, you could be pro public safety and pro civil rights and due process, and I think we found a nice balance with the legislation the governor signed. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:22:10] Another question on this topic: past governors, virtually every other governor except Jerry Brown, have reversed parole recommendations for most people who have come up for parole when they’re serving life sentences with the possibility of parole. Governor Brown has gone the other direction – he’s allowed about 80 percent of those parole recommendations to go forward and to let those felons out onto probation or out on the streets. Would you do that, Mr. Cox, would you go back to the way it was, or do you think that the governor, this governor, is doing the right thing? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:22:40] No, I think we have to be very tough. You know, I lament the fact that our criminal justice system is letting, you know, so many people and doing plea bargains out, to let people out on the streets. I think of Anthony Mele, who was a young man who was murdered in cold blood in Ventura by a guy who was out. He had, this guy had a rap sheet as long as my arm, and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:23:05] But these are folks who have been recommended for parole by the parole board. Are you saying, maybe, you would apply a different kind of person to the board? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:23:11] No, I would look at, I would look at those judiciously of course, and evaluate those on the facts and the circumstances. I mean, I certainly believe in restoration. I’m on the board of a restorative justice mediation project in San Diego, so I do believe in reconciliation. But you know, and rehabilitation, but I want to make sure that the public is protected on each of these situations, so I’ll be pretty tough. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:23:34] I know you’re also Catholic. You’ve spoken about your Catholic faith; both of you are Catholic. How does that figure into, I remember talking to the governor about it, and he talked about redemption, and that’s one of the reasons he was giving these folks a second chance. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:23:46] I do believe in redemption. I really do. I think someone who has committed a crime, that’s why this Restorative Justice Project is so important, because it reconciles people, offenders, with their victims to make them understand what the hurt is of their victims. But I think we owe it to the public to make sure that we apply parole judiciously, and that we have a good set of eyes looking at this and make sure it’s evaluated. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:24:09] And I think we do have a good set of eyes, and we’ve had a good governor who’s done the right thing. What I’m trying to reconcile is John’s answer. He says he would not continue. I think, in the enlightened sense, policies of Governor Brown, which has been about restoration, has been about second chances, has been in the spirit of what John was advancing. I would like to build on that. I also would like to build on Governor Brown’s criminal justice reform legacy. There’ve been a lot of, I think, very enlightened reforms. Can’t be ideological about these reforms; you gotta be open to argument, interested in evidence as it relates to changing conditions. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:24:41] Do you think the jury’s still out on whether they’ve all been good changes? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:24:44] Oh no, on all of these things you have to be iterative. On Prop 57, which is about to be implemented; 47, three strikes; AB 9, which was realignment; you cannot be ideological. The fundamental responsibility of a governor or any chief executive is public safety, so that’s always top of mind, but just locking folks up, being quote unquote tough on crime, I don’t think, it’s necessarily the answer. That’s the old saw; I think being smart on crime. And I think the example of the last few years is an example of that, I think is a much more enlightened approach, and I want to build on that approach of Governor Brown. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:25:15] Prop 47 is widely acknowledged now to have been a real problem. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:25:19] And just for listeners who don’t know, we should say it was a ballot measure that downgraded a lot of mostly drug crimes too from felonies to misdemeanors. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:25:26] And you talk to a lot of small retailers and they’re finding that this is really creating problems for them and, you know, Gavin wants to continue Governor Brown’s management, or even worse, and the fact of the matter is – under Governor Brown, people are further being priced out of the state. They’re leaving the state in droves. In our schools, we’ve spent 80 percent more. I hope we talk about education because we have vastly increased spending for our schools and they’re now, in the bottom, you know, 10 percent of the states, and that’s just not a situation that I would want to continue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:25:59] We just had bail reform signed by the governor and that’s going to take effect next year. And I’m wondering: you know, judges are gonna get a lot more discretion because of that and people feel both sides of that, whether that’s a good idea or not. Another thing Governor Brown has done is, he’s really diversified the bench, not just in terms of race and ethnicity, but backgrounds. He’s appointed a lot of public defenders and a lot of defense attorneys and public interest attorneys. Is that, is that a trend you would continue or would you go a different direction? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:29] Having a balance is a good thing but this bail reform was not a good thing. I mean, what you’re doing is replacing a private business with a lot more state worker,s and that’s really who lobbied to get this done. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:26:43] Why would it need more state workers? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:45] Well, because you’re going to have a lot more people that are gonna have to go out now and bring people in to make sure that they appear for their trials. And that’s a real issue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:26:53] Scott. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:54] And it eliminates an industry. You know, listen, this is all part of the same piece, and that is that we have to make sure that the people are protected and it’s not just rhetoric, it’s actual performance. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:27:02] You know, let’s talk about bail reform. Only Duterte’s Philippines and Trump’s United States of America have money bail. California became the first state to step up and step into this debate and do the right thing. It is insidious, from my humble perspective, African-Americans and Latinos are being incarcerated disproportionately for one reason: the size of their their ATM, their bank balance, not the likelihood that they’ll actually commit a crime before their crimes are officially adjudicated. This bail reform was an extraordinary step forward in a civil rights effort, not just a criminal justice reform. I applaud the governor. I applaud the Legislature for their enlightened leadership and, by the way, in terms of moving forward, one has to be, yes, very cautious about its application and implementation as it relates to that judicial oversight. And that is an expression of legitimate concern and the next governor will have to advance that concern by being very attentive to the implementation of that reform. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:27:58] We are not taking live calls on this show, but we did, through social media, solicit some question,s and we’ve got one now, sort of related to this topic of criminal justice. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:28:08] Hi, my name is Michelle Windahost. I live in San Clemente, and I would answer how they are going to handle gun violence. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:28:18] Cox, gun violence. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:28:19] Well, you know, one thing we need to do is stop publicize the names and pictures of these perpetrators of these gun crimes. A lot of them are mentally ill. You know, you almost have to be mentally ill to take another person’s life, the way that these have happened. I think California’s done a lot to keep guns out of the hands of people that are mentally deranged; I’d certainly be interested to look at more ways to keep guns out the hands of people… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:28:43] What would you be open to? What other things? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>John Cox: [00:28:44] You know, I don’t know, but I think we’ve done a lot already. I think what we need to do is we need to treat mental illness and we need to make sure that people, you know, who do commit these crimes don’t have their names and pictures publicized. I think that’s a mental illness as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:29:00] Do you think gun control is useful or not? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:29:02] Well, you know, criminals don’t care about gun control. I mean, they’ll break the law. That’s why they’re criminals. You know, more laws are not going to do the job. I certainly favor keeping guns out of the hands of people who are dangerous, people who are mentally ill, and…but you know, the Second Amendment is an important amendment. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:29:22] Let’s be honest with John’s record. He said gun safety laws are quote unquote a waste of time. He prides himself on being a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, doesn’t believe in wait times, and has been a strong advocate for concealed weapons, concealed carry legislation. In every one of these cases, I think he’s wrong, and all I can say is, thankfully, he’s not been in a position of real leadership and influence in the state of California, because we would not have had the progressive record on gun safety that we had that have saved literally countless of lives in this state. I’m very proud of the fact that I took on the NRA with Proposition 63 and we won and we’re about to be the first state in America to require the same background checks we do on guns for all ammunition purchases that begins in January of next year. It’s an example of a stark contrast between John and myself. I believe gun safety laws work and save lives; I want California to continue its leadership. He doesn’t believe that. And he’s proud of his longstanding support and A rating from a lot of the subgroups that are part of the National Rifle Association. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:30:25] Let’s be clear here, and it is that we’re talking about guns, we’re talking about all these other social issues that I’m not running to change, one iota, I am not. I am running to make sure that people in this state have an affordable life. They have schools that are not failing; they have available water, affordable water, affordable electricity. All these other things are being done to occupy time, and you know, really not address the issues that we ought to be addressing, and that is the cost of living in the state and the horrendous conditions of people that are struggling and trying to get by. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:30:59] But those same families, John, have the right to go and drop their kids off to school without worrying… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:04] I agree. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:05] …that some weapon of war is being used by someone that didn’t get a comprehensive background check, and you’ve not on every instance, you have not been there fighting for common sense, fighting for common sense gun safety laws. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:15] Would you join me in agreeing that we should ask the media not to publicize the names and pictures of people who are perpetuating these crimes? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:20] You’re just deflecting your fundamental opposition to any common sense gun safety. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:26] No, I’m not, I’m not opposed to it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:31:27] What about background checks? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:28] I’m not opposed to them; neither is the NRA. This is a red herring, and you know… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:34] For gun show loopholes? For ammunition purchases, John? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:35] Keeping up, keeping guns out of the hands of people that are mentally ill is a wonderful thing and I will certainly back that up completely. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:31:43] Alright, you’ve both talked about affordability and costs of living in California, and so we have a listener question. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:31:51] Hi, my name is Cindy Jerdonek. I’m from Santa Clara, California. And I’d like to ask both candidates: what is your position on California Proposition 6? It’s listed as eliminate certain road repair and transportation funding. I also have a flyer that says Vote YES on 6 to repeal the gas tax. I’m just curious from each of them what is their position of California Proposition 6. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:32:14] Let me begin. It’s quite clear, we’ve talked about this before, you have opposite positions on this. You, Mr. Cox, have been a supporter, a driving force behind Prop 6, getting it on the ballot, you support the repeal. Mr. Newsom, you oppose it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:32:28] I do not, yes.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:32:28] And I’m just wondering: what do each of you think the other one’s position says about the kind of governor they would be? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:32:34] Well, I think it’s clear. I think Gavin would not exercise enough control over the efficiency of our spending to Caltrans. Caltrans has been regularly highlighted as one of the more inefficient agencies in the country. It spends way more than a lot of other states to build a mile of road and there’s a lot of contractors who make hefty contributions to Gavin, as well as to Mr. Brown, and, you know, they build that into their cost, and the public pays for it. And instead of reforming that system… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:08] How would you do that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:33:09] Well, we need to get the money out of politics, and I’m going to be talking about that day one on November 7th after I’m elected. But you know, we also need to make sure that Caltrans use its money efficiently and you know, the politicians, like Gavin, went ahead and approved an increase in the gas tax. They didn’t want to do the tough job; the tough job would have been making Caltrans live within its means. The tough job would have been modifying CEQA, which, by the way, it’s been waived for a lot of sports stadiums who have connected investors. But it’s not been waived for road building and it’s driven up the cost… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:46] For housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:33:47] Or for housing and it’s driven up costs and the people are paying for it and they can’t keep doing that. They are struggling and unable to live in the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:55] So to you then, what would you, what does it say about the kind of governor he would be. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:33:59] I’ll answer that. But I want to make some fundamental points here. San Jose, San Francisco, and L.A. have the worst road conditions in the United States of America. What John just argued for is to make things worse. His plan is to make things worse. The fact is the legislature and the governor finally began to address this issue in a substantive way. He’s talking about taking away over five billion dollars every single year for road improvements, public safety improvements, addressing the issue of traffic and congestion, which in and of itself is a hidden tax. And to reconcile the fact that 27 other states since 2013 have increased their sales tax, or rather gas taxes, in an effort to improve their roads. He chooses not to do that. He talks about the illusory notion of efficiencies. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:34:43] It is not illusory. The fact is, John, you may not be aware of this, but the entire payroll at Caltrans is 2.86 billion dollars. You can eliminate every single position. I imagine that’s the ultimate manifestation of efficiency… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:34:54] No. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:34:54] And still struggle to find the money that you are taking away and advocating away from improving our roads, our tunnels, and our bridges in this state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:03] This state is supposedly running a surplus right now and it generates tens of billions of dollars from motor vehicle related sources, sales taxes on cars and other things like that that aren’t being used. We have a surplus. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>Scott Shafer: [00:35:15] Let me just ask you about that, because… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:17] Why are we digging into the pockets of people who were already paying the highest housing prices, the highest water prices, the highest electricity prices in the country. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:35:26] John, what’s the plan to rebuild the roads and the bridges? Where does the 50 billion dollars come from? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:32] We’re gonna build a lot more roads. We’re going to use money efficiently and we’re not going to, we’re going to cut good deals with contractors, and you know, he can… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:35:39] Is it going to be union labor? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:39] He can laugh about it because this budget has zoomed under the last eight years, when Mr., you know, when Gavin was, was the governor and the budget has zoomed now to over 200 billion dollars, and they haven’t been building the roads. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:35:55] Well, let me ask you about that, though, because the last governor you’re running, of course, you’re a Republican, the last Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. I mean, you’ve said in your commercials that Democrats broke it, they broke everything – that’s why the state is a mess. But Jerry Brown inherited a 26 billion dollar deficit and he’s leaving, as you say, a surplus. So, and part of what Arnold Schwarzenegger ran on was cutting the car tax, and it blew a big hole in the budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:19] Well, you gotta remember, 2010 is when Governor Brown took office. The whole country was in a financial disaster at that point in time and so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:36:26] But cutting the car tax contributed to that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:28] Well no, not necessarily no. The housing crisis and the financial… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:36:32] To the budget deficit I mean. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:33] Well, yeah, but the budget meltdown, and that’s another issue that we need to talk about, and that is the reliance on a very thin layer of people to finance this government, and we’ve built up a huge amount of cost in this in this budget that has to be addressed and, you know, Gavin is not going to address those things. I’m going to have to address them because, you know, in the private sector, I can’t afford to waste money and I have to use every penny efficiently. And that’s not being done in Sacramento. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:37:00] We’re going to find more efficiency with Caltrain, but I want to make a poin, that you’re emphasizing, at least, in the frame of your question. We inherited a 27 billion dollar budget deficit. We have an eight and a half billion budget surplus. We’ve had 101 consecutive months of net job growth, a three point seven percent GDP growth rate average over the last four years, the lowest unemployment in recorded history. California has created 3 plus million jobs under Governor Brown’s administration since 2010. We’re proud of that record. There are stubborn areas where we have to do more and do better on homelessness, on housing, the broader issues of cost of living. I concur. And the difference between myself and my opponent, John Cox, is we actually have strategies and plans to address those issues, and with respect the… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:37:43] I have all kinds of plans. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:37:43] …illusory notion of quote unquote efficiencies of Caltrans, and I can assure you, that’s not going to build any road or bridge in the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:37:50] So you’re saying that the money’s there, because there’s a surplus, but what happens when in a downturn, I mean, the gas tax is going to be generating five billion dollars for 10 years. So in those down years, which are inevitable, where would the money come from to fix the roads? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:38:03] We’ve got to certainly broaden that; we’ve got to get a look at every expense that we incur. We’ve got to audit every agency and we’ve gotta get, root out the the waste in this budget. And believe me, there’s a lot of it. This budget has increased tremendously and there’s a tremendous amount of waste and mismanagement that’s going on in this budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:38:23] Alright, we still have much more to talk about. You’re listening to the gubernatorial debate on KQED; I’m Scott Shafer. We’re going to take a very short break and we will be back with Gavin Newsom and John Cox. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:40:00] And we continue our conversation with the candidates for governor, John Cox and Gavin Newsom. I want to say that before today, we reached out to a lot of reporters that we respect from places like the L.A. Times, CalMatters, San Francisco Chronicle, Politico, and our public radio partners, and we got their suggestions for questions and topics, and a lot of the questions you’re hearing today are a reflection of their inputs, so I want to thank them for that. This question, though, comes from one of our listeners. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:40:26] Hi, my name is Maria. I live in Los Angeles, California. My question to both of the candidates is: what will they do to resolve the issue of our sanctuary state, or sanctuary city, to deal with the illegal alien problems that we have. Thank you! \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:40:45] And we should say two to three million folks here, who are here without documents, here illegally. Who wants to go first? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:40:53] Well, I think public safety is the most important thing, and I think we need to have law enforcement work together to make sure the public is safe. I’ve talked to sheriffs all over the state who have told me that the sanctuary state law is an impediment to their ability to police their communities and to make sure that criminal activity is reduced. They tell me that they get information and they have information about gang activity and about people who are engaged in drug dealing and other kinds of things. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:41:28] How does the sanctuary law stop them from pursuing them? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:41:31] Because if they know that they’re here illegally, they can’t inform ICE until they actually go through and get a conviction under a lot of issues that are putting into the sanctuary state law. I think if somebody is here illegally and are engaged in criminal activity, I think it’s up to our public officials to take them out. I don’t want my family to have their papers checked everywhere they are. I don’t want any family in California to have that. We should be checking papers at the border, not on a yard or not in a classroom, or… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:42:09] You said you’d get rid of the sanctuary law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:42:11] I would get rid of the sanctuary law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:42:13] How? How would you get rid of it? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:42:13] Well, I think we need to get the legislature to do that, and if they don’t do it, I think we need to get it to a vote of the people. This law, I think, is very unpopular. I think it sends the wrong message. I think people want to know that they’re going to have their law enforcement officials work together. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:42:29] Here’s one of the clearest points of contrast between myself and John Cox. He’s someone who believes very passionately in building the wall. He believes that sanctuary policy should be eliminated. He believes in the elimination, as he refers to it, of chain migration, which is nothing more than family reunification. He parrots at, almost every opportunity, Donald Trump and Trumpism, and Trump would have an advocate in Sacramento if he becomes the next governor. As it relates to the issue of immigration, here are the facts. And with respect to the question, I hope the listener has the benefit of listening to this, and that is, fundamentally, the immigrants of this state are under, not over, underrepresented in the criminal justice system. The fact is, sanctuary counties are not more violent, more dangerous than sanctuary cities and counties, quite the contrar. Sanctuary policy is nothing more than this. It’s about community policing. It’s about building trust. A victim of crime, or witness a crime, is more likely to come forward if they’re not worried about local law enforcement being an arm of federal immigration deportation. They’re more likely to get their child educated, drop them off at school if they’re not worried about a school crossing guard being part of that immigration arm. Accordingly, they’re more likely, this time of year, flu season to get an immunization shot and be healthier if they’re not worried about the nurse turning them over. I fear, under a Cox administration working hand in glove with Donald Trump, that our policies are progressive and enlightened, policies on immigration, will roll back into the dark ages. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:01] Mr. Cox, you once said, I think, that you would arrest CEOs that hired undocumented immigrants. Is that, does that reflect your thinking? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:44:07] You know, I think we need to make sure that we provide a guest worker program and other avenues for people. But yeah, I think we should not be hiring people who have broken the law and cut in line. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:17] What would the penalty be? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox: \u003c/strong>[00:44:18] I think a lot of immigrants…I don’t know when we would need to determine that, but I think every country has a right to determine its borders, and unfortunately, the country to the south of us had 26000 murders last year. I don’t want to see drugs, guns, and human trafficking come across that border, and I think, you know, a border wall is necessary. I live in San Diego and it’s had some effect there, but… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:43] You know the Republican mayor of San Diego opposes the law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:44:45] Maybe so, but you know, a lot of people, you know, think it’s the right thing to do. You know, having said that, I am not in favor of checking papers in classrooms or on people’s yards and going around and taking people out who are obeying the law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:00] What about ICE in courthouses? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:45:02] I want to make sure that if somebody is involved in criminal activity, that they’re here illegally, they should be removed from the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:45:11] Look, let me just say this about the wall: the wall, it’s a monument to stupidity. The Wall is intended to divide this country. John may be familiar with this. I hope others are as well. Forty percent of people here without documentation came here because they overstayed their visa. Many flew. This notion of a sixth century solution to a 21st century problem is ludicrous, from my humble perspective. As it relates to sanctuary, there certainly should be sanctuary when people are accessing the court system, and I subscribe to a point of view that’s aligned with the vast majority of judges that believe that should be a neutral territory, and I should not be coming in raiding our court system where people are trying to access justice or participating in the justice system. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:53] When you were mayor, and I know you remember this, there was a terrible murder of a father, and I think, two sons… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:45:58] Yep. The Bologna family. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:59] It was committed by somebody who was here illegally, had been in the juvenile justice system, and was not turned over to the police, and I wonder, you know, you then implemented a policy to turn over juveniles accused of crimes before they were convicted. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Yeah. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Was that a mistake? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Yeah, due process. I mean, the fact is, if I had that to do over again, the issue of due process was the missing link there. Look, the point is that sanctuary policy is not a shield for criminal activity. No one is suggesting, somehow, John implied, that people have the right to unfettered violence in this state; regardless of their immigration status, they need to be held to account. The question is due process, and so the iterative quality of these laws requires some objectivity, not an ideological prism. That’s why Governor Brown, as an example, amended the sanctuary law that he was handed with 800 specific conditions where we can coordinate and collaborate with ICE along the lines of some of the mistakes and lessons that were learned from the past. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:46:56] Well, one of those conditions was that the state prisons were exempted from that legislation. Would you change that? Should prisons be part of it? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom: \u003c/strong>[00:47:02] I think I stand by what the governor did today, but I am open to argument as new evidence and new conditions present themselves. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:47:11] Alright, let’s talk about a timely topic: climate change. Today is the one year anniversary of the wildfires up in the North Bay. Dozens of people killed, thousands of structures destroyed, homes, and there is a new report out today from the United Nations on climate change saying that these terrible changes to climate are coming more quickly than we thought, and they say it can’t really be addressed without even, like, getting rid of coal altogether. And so I’m wondering, you know, California has taken a lot of steps. Do you agree with those, what additional steps, Mr. Cox, do you think it should take, or what were some of the mistakes we’ve made so far in enacting some of these environmental policies. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:47:48] Well, I’m not an ideologue on this. I’m a problem solver; I’m also not a climatologist. I’ve said in the past that I’m not, but I’ll certainly listen to climatologists on this. I believe the Earth is getting warmer and humans may well have an effect on it, and I want the air as clean as possible. I drive an electric car; I’m proud of that. The point is that, are we getting enough of an impact on the world’s atmosphere to justify the cost to the people of this state? India and China are dumping tons of carbon into the air. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:48:25] Well, they’ve also signed onto the Paris agreement, which… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:48:27] They should, because they’re one of the worst. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:48:29] But we pulled out of it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:48:29] Well, but we’re doing a lot. We’ve done a lot in California to clean the air. Frankly, the politicians, like Gavin, you know, have failed miserably to police the forest, and take care of the forest and manage the forest. The carbons that was released by the fires, and it’s one year anniversary of those fires, the carbon released by those fires was, you know, comprised months of carbon from cars and trucks that were working to try to reduce, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:49:01] Governor Brown just signed SB 100 which requires the state by 2045 to get all of its energy from clean sources. Would you have signed that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:49:08] Well, no, because what we’re going to do then is we’re going to double electricity prices. It’s a worthy goal. It’s a wonderful, lofty goal to have. I certainly want the air to be clean, but we’re going to keep pounding people of this state into poverty. Electricity prices in the state are already almost twice what Texas pays. The 100 percent renewable is a wonderful goal, but it’s also going to drive people further into poverty – we can’t keep doing that to the people of the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:49:37] So John Cox, celebrated, at least acknowledged enthusiastically, that Donald Trump did the right thing when he pulled out of Paris. I reject that, and I applaud the leadership in the state of California, particularly Governor Brown, to radically change the way we produce and consume energy. I applaud his effort to get to 100 percent renewables by 2045 to get to 60 percent renewables by 2030, and I believe California has a unique role and responsibility, not just nationally, but internationally, to lead. Again, a stark contrast in this campaign for governor – someone who believes in climate change believes that it’s manmade. John still is not convinced it’s manmade. Someone who’s lead, as a former mayor, on low carbon green growth, someone that will take the principles and goals and the objectives that have been outlined over the last few years and make them real – substantively, the goal of reducing our greenhouse gas emissions 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030. That is going to be a challenge. I’m up for that challenge. John is not, again, a stark contrast in this race. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:50:39] The politicians like Gavin like to make these political statements, and I think it’s… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:50:43] But it’s a law; it’s not just a statement. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:50:44] …a wonderful goal to have renewable energy. I’m all in favor, but we can’t keep increasing the cost of electricity. I favor nuclear power; I think that can be done cleanly. Natural gas can be done cleanly. I believe we could, you know, use technology to ultimately have cars that are much cleaner burning, but right now, the wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine. We need to make sure that we have backup power. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Mr. Newsom, Jerry Brown has been taking flak from the left from the “keep it in the ground” lobby about fracking and about drilling in California, not off the coast, but in the mainland of California. Would you reverse those policies that he’s enacted? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> Yeah, I think we’ll tighten them up. I think fracking is starting to fall on its own petard. Wall Street is the one leading this recognition. You’re seeing interest rates rise, the fracking experiment is beginning to wane. So I think that’s a natural opportunity for the next governor to get a little bit more aggressive as it relates to fracking. But again, California is leading in almost every capacity. We’re creating jobs. We’re leaning into the future. This is California’s great, I think, foreign policy. It’s one that I’m very proud that Governor Brown has led. And, boy, I really hope folks are paying attention. I would be very cautious to revert back to the normalization of deviancy as it relates to a lack of intentionality and leadership around climate change. California has a responsibility, has an important international role to play. I am committed and passionate about that. I want to lead. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> That’s wonderful except that people can’t afford to live in this state and they’re moving out, and our electricity costs and our gasoline costs are pounding the average person and it’s all well and good to talk about this wonderful goal that we have. Let’s work toward it, but let’s not kill people in terms of their affordable lifestyles. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> OK, we’ve got a few more minutes. I want to try to give them a couple of more topics in. Today’s Brett Kavanaugh’s first full day on the job at the Supreme Court, and both of you have young daughters…you have four daughters, Mr. Cox, you have two daughters younger, but I’m wondering like, what do you think is such a bitter confirmation battle. A lot of women are concerned what it means for reproductive rights and that sort of thing. What’s your takeaway from, from what happened? I mean, what would you tell your daughters if they ask you, or have a conversation with them? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> You know, I regret all the divisiveness in politics today. If I have anything to say about it I’m going to try to get reforms that reduce the divisiveness in politics. I think a lot of it has to do with fundraising. And I think you saw that with a lot of the politicians in Washington on both sides. Fundraising off their extreme statements. And frankly you see it in this discussion with Gavin, you know, trying to paint me as some, you know, as different on so many issues. And recharacterize my positions. You know, I think what we need to do is we need to take a step back and try to get more comedy, more, you know, kindness and issue discussion into our politics and, you know, I take a backseat…As you mentioned, you know, I have four daughters, my mom was a working mom. I think Dr. Ford needed to be heard and should have been believed. And… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Would you have voted to confirm? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> You know, I’m not going to get in the middle of that. Frankly, I’m focused on the issues in California. But I want to point out that I led the Recall of Bob Filner as the mayor of San Diego, because I think anybody who uses their position of power and authority to impose themselves on an under, someone who is subordinate to them, you know, should be surcharged and should be removed from office, frankly. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> I think it’s very relevant. You say you care about the issues of California. It’s very relevant and Kavanaugh. Because you can have a profound impact on California and Californians. On their reproductive rights, of which you do not believe a woman has a right to choose regardless whether or not they’re raped or had a tragic incident of incest. Kavanaugh will play an outsized role in that. You’ve been an advocate for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act which would have cost, in the Graham-Cassidy bill, one hundred thirty eight point eight dollars billion dollars by 2027 in the state of California and that also eliminated funding for Planned Parenthood. And that will impact reproductive rights access for millions and millions of women and not only this state but across the country. These things are relevant. Issues of private property rights, issues of access to our beach and waterfront, issues associated with our dreamers and our immigration policy. Kavanaugh is going to play an outsized role in all of those respective, including presidential power. For all those reasons I opposed his nomination and I think it was a sad day yesterday when he got sworn in. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Real quick response if you have one. If not we’re going to move on. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> I will certainly appoint judges, uh justices in California who will respect the Constitution and respect the U.S. Constitution and the California Constitution and try to keep the politics out of it. Think there’s just too much in the way of politics involved. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> We’re almost at the end. I want to give both of you an opportunity to just sort of summarize what is at stake in this election and, because of the coin toss, we’re going to start with you, Mr. Newsom, and John Cox you’ll have the last word. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> Well, I think there’s an enormous amount at stake. I think you got a good sense of where we are on key positions. The question I think for the voters is who’s got the best ideas moving forward? Who’s got the practical experience? Who has the capacity to deliver on ideals and goals? My biggest issue, again, remains the issue of addressing the income and wealth disparities in the state that doesn’t, in a way that doesn’t begrudge other people’s success but addresses these issues in a systemic way. I’ve run a campaign that’s been positive. Our campaign commercials are not attacking my opponent. They’re attaching themselves to attacking problems with policy solutions. And I think the most important thing, and I want to just reinforce it here today, the most important thing the next governor can do is reconcile this fact. 85 percent of the brain is formed by the time someone’s just three years old. The most important investment we can make to address the issue of systemic poverty, address the issue of criminal justice reform, is to begin at the beginning. Invest in prenatal care, early Head Start, nurse home visits, preschool. That is the architecture of life and that is a disproportionate bias that I want to bring into the work of governor and will be a top agenda if I’m successful this November. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Mr. Cox. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong>This election is about change versus the status quo. I represent change. My opponent is for the gas tax. He’s for the train to nowhere that’s a waste of money for the taxpayers of this state. His answer for the housing crisis is more government spending. Mine is to reduce the cost of housing so that people can afford to live in this state. We didn’t talk about education but the schools are failing our children. That is a future that we are giving up. I’ve been in the public sector, or the private sector, for 40 years getting things done. Gavin has been in office for 16 years. He has been the Lieutenant Governor for eight years. Never had any of these things that he talked about and solving the problems. We need to solve the problems of the state. We need to get change. We need to make sure that California leads the way on education, on affordability, on water. I am against water rationing which he is for. So there’s a lot of areas that people need to know that we are opposed, and I will make this state affordable and livable again. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Alright, thank you very much. And I want to acknowledge what you said. We didn’t really talk about education. Absolutely true. Didn’t talk about pension reform or water, health care…big topics we didn’t get to. We had an hour, so I encourage people to go to your website, to go to our website… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> I’d be willing to have another one of these discussions because I think it’s important. I’ve agreed to five of these, and can’t get my my young friend to do that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad floatright]\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Thank you very much, both of you. John Cox. Gavin Newsom. That concludes the KQED Governor’s Debate. There will be coverage and analysis of the debate throughout the day on many of these stations. I’m Scott Shafer. Thanks to you for listening. Thanks to the candidates for being here. And have a great day. \u003c/p>\n\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 13149,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 220
},
"modified": 1704429887,
"excerpt": "California Gubernatorial candidates Republican John Cox and Democrat Gavin Newsom join Forum in studio.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "California Gubernatorial candidates Republican John Cox and Democrat Gavin Newsom join Forum in studio.",
"title": "Cox, Newsom Face Off in Final California Gubernatorial Debate | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Cox, Newsom Face Off in Final California Gubernatorial Debate",
"datePublished": "2018-10-05T14:00:18-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:44:47-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [
{
"userLogin": "scottshafer",
"firstName": "Scott",
"lastName": "Shafer",
"website": "",
"displayName": "Scott Shafer",
"linkedAccount": "",
"nickname": "",
"description": "",
"userEmail": "",
"ID": "2010101854226",
"type": "guest-author",
"userNicename": "scottshafer"
}
],
"slug": "cox-newsom-face-off-in-final-california-gubernatorial-debate",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181008b.mp3",
"airdate": 1539018000,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3478,
"path": "/forum/2010101867627/cox-newsom-face-off-in-final-california-gubernatorial-debate",
"audioDuration": 3509000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>In this special edition of KQED’s Forum, California Gubernatorial candidates Republican John Cox and Democrat Gavin Newsom join host Scott Shafer in studio for a wide-ranging conversation about their priorities and visions for the state.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Links:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/news/11697413/gavin-newsom-john-cox-spar-on-housing-criminal-justice-in-wide-ranging-debate\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Gavin Newsom, John Cox Spar on Housing, Criminal Justice in Wide-Ranging Debate\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/elections\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">KQED’s Full Election Coverage\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Debate Transcript\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:01] This is a special edition of KQED Forum, a debate in the race for governor between Gavin Newsom and John Cox. I’m Scott Shafer, KQED’s senior editor for politics and government. Newsom, the Democrat, is promising bold action to help families and children. And he’s pledging to continue California’s role opposing the Trump administration. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:00:20] Voters will have a real choice this November between a governor who’s going to stand up to Donald Trump and a foot soldier in his war on California. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:30] But Republican businessman John Cox says government spending is out of control, with regulations and the high cost of living pricing people out of California. And he says: don’t blame Republicans. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:00:41] It wasn’t Donald Trump who made California the highest tax state in the country. It was Gavin Newsom and the Democrats. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:00:50] John Cox and Gavin Newsom: one of them will be the next governor. They’re both here to share their vision for the state. And we’ll get started right now. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:00] And welcome to this special edition of KQED Forum: a debate about the future of California and who should be the next governor, with John Cox and Gavin Newsom. I’m Scott Shafer, KQED senior editor for politics and government, and before we hear from the candidates, I just want to let everyone know that this will not be a formal debate with the exact same questions to each candidate and strict time limits for answers, that kind of thing, instead it’s going to be more of a wide ranging conversation with lots of give and take, and hopefully by the end, you’ll have a better sense of who these two candidates are and what kind of governor they’d be. So let’s get started. Republican John Cox is a businessman who lives in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego. Mr. Cox, welcome. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:01:38] Thank you for having me. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:39] And Democrat Gavin Newsom is the lieutenant governor and former mayor of San Francisco. Mr. Newsom, welcome to you as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:01:44] Great to be here; thanks for having us. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:01:46] Well, we flipped a coin to see who was going to go first. And so we’re going to begin with you, Mr. Newsom. And the same question will be to you afterwards, Mr. Cox. What’s your vision for California and how do you think it’s different from the other guy? And I’m going to ask you to keep it relatively short. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:01:59] Well I think at the end of the day we’re all better off when we’re all better off, and so any vision has to be an inclusive vision, the Commonwealth. The fact is the issue that defines all other issues from my perspective in this state is the issue of wealth disparity and income inequality, the issue of social mobility, the California dream. It’s an interesting fact there are only two dreams: the American dream and the California dream. There’s no Iowa dream, New Hampshire dream; there’s no Nevada dream, but the California dream is predicated on social mobility. The richest and the poorest state; we have to mind that gap. We have to address the issue of cost of housing. We have to address the issue of affordability broadly. We have to address the issue of homelessness and we have to tackle the vexing issue of health care, and the issues related to health care that are devouring the state budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:02:43] And we’re going to get to many of those issues in just a moment…Mr. Cox, what’s your vision? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:02:47] Well my vision of California is where people can afford to buy a house or, or pay rent that’s affordable. They can afford gasoline; they can afford water, electricity. They can send their children to a school that’s not failing; that’s not near the bottom. They don’t have to live in fear of fires. They, they don’t have to see homeless all over the street. You know, Gavin has been part of the political class that has led the state downward. I have a vision of this state being affordable and livable for people. I think we can do that if we get rid of the special interest influence in Sacramento. The interest groups that inhabit Sacramento benefit from the status quo. The status quo isn’t working for average working Californians; they can’t afford to live here, and that’s why they’re leaving. I represent change. We’re going to start talking about reforming our broken political system day one when I’m the governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:03:42] All right and we’re going to talk about many of those things. But both of you mentioned affordability. So let’s talk about housing. I think everybody agrees there is a housing crisis in California: just not enough supply to meet demand, and what’s out there is either unaffordable to buy, or in many cases to rent. And California is also almost dead last in housing construction per capita. I mean Utah is 50, we’re 49, and there are a lot of reasons for that. But I’m wondering, do you think, and I’ll start with you, Mr. Cox: do you think that there is too much local control when it comes to housing that enables, whether it’s local governments or interest groups, to kill housing or slow it down so that it ends up costing too much money? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:22] First of all, I’m in the housing business. I started 30 years ago and I build apartments for a living. I can build apartments in other states that I operate in for a fourth or a fifth of what they cost to build in California. And the reason is red tape, taxes, lawsuits, approval processes that take forever. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:04:43] To be clear, though, you’ve been building in other states, right. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:45] I have. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:04:46] Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:04:47] And it’s government that has driven up the cost of housing in California. Now, we have to exercise leadership from Sacramento, and I will certainly do that because we do need to build a lot of housing, but we need to build that housing in a cost effective way with lower costs. Now, I certainly want local authorities to be involved in the process, and they have to be involved in the process. I’ve sat on local zoning boards in the past and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:12] Do they have too much power now? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:05:13] No, I don’t think they do. No, I think they should have power, but I think there’s also can be leadership that’s exercised from the top. One of the things that I would do is reform CEQA, which has been turned into an effort by trial lawyers to sue competitors and stop development and that’s limiting the supply of housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:30] That’s the California Environmental Quality Act… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:05:33] Absolutely. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:05:34] …signed by Ronald Reagan, actually, I think, in 1970. Mr. Newsom, what about you: housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:05:38] Now, look, you’re right. We’re 49th out of 50 of them per capita housing units and you’re correct – Utah is the only state producing less housing. And the fact is, we’re producing about 100000, plus or minus, housing units on an annual basis in order to create some price equilibrium in this state. From a production perspective, we’ve got to be developing close to four times that number. So you’re right: it is a issue of production, but it’s also an issue of intentionality, or lack thereof. There are no statewide housing goals in California: no timelines, no objectives, no strategies to organize at the local level, the kind of determination to address this legitimate affordability crisis as it relates to your question about localism. Yes, localism is determinative, but there’s a certain point where the NIMBYism…there’s a certain point with a lack of focus in terms of producing the requisite housing that’s required in this state. There is a certain point where the state of California needs to intervene. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:06:31] How? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:06:32] Incentivize good behavior or disincentivize bad behavior. One of the specific plans of the 15 specific plans we have to address this housing crisis comes the issue of allocation of tax revenue. Mayors have a perverse disincentives for housing. Mayors actually have an incentive for big box retail. Mayors collect, cities collect retail sales tax; they don’t collect property tax. We would like to have that debate about reallocating that tax base. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:06:59] You’re talking about reforming Prop 13? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:07:00] We’re talking about a tax conversation around this housing conversation… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:07:03] Is Prop 13 on the table? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:07:04] …that everything’s on the table as it relates to this issue. This is the issue that defines the affordability crisis. Number two: I think you also have to be a bit punitive as it relates to local government. I think one of the proposals that to me is most interesting and intriguing actually comes from this region: the MTC, or Metropolitan Transit Commission, is talking about utilizing their ability to take discretionary transit dollars and allocate those transit dollars to municipalities that are meeting their housing production goals and taking those dollars away from those that are not. That’s just two specific examples of how we can address… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:07:39] Mr. Cox, you go ahead, you mentioned CEQA, so if you want to talk about that… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:07:42] What I didn’t hear in any of that, by the way, and Gavin has been in office for 16 years here in California, and he’s not done much about this problem as it’s gotten worse and worse and worse. We’ve got to bring down the cost of housing, and it’s not enough just to apply incentives and disincentives; what we also have to do is make sure that we shorten the approval frame. We, we’ve got to make sure that we… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:08:04] How do you do that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:08:05] …reduce, well, I think we, we work with local authorities, frankly, to basically modify a lot of these state laws that are making the process longer and longer and longer. It takes 12, 15 years. I can build in Indiana and I can get approvals within six months. Other states that have Democratic governors can build housing a lot faster, a lot less costly than California. I fail to believe that we can’t build housing that’s more cost effective and available for people. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:08:34] And Scott, just cause there’s an important point on CEQA: in the past, John has argued for eliminating CEQA, not reforming it – he called for its elimination. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:08:42] Specifically, I said to eliminate it and replace it with something that’s more workable. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:08:45] Yeah, and so I believe in more categorical exemptions for socially desirable projects for, excuse the wonkiness around this, more programmatic environmental impact reports to address the issue of predevelopment risk. I do believe the issue of time, value of money, in essence what John is getting out, is an important part of the solution as well. Again, that’s why there’s no one single strategy that’s going to address this issue. That’s why we’ve laid out 15. I hope we can compare and contrast, the listeners, compare and contrast our proposals, our specific, tangible plans, because there is a profound contrast in the two. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:18] No, I have a lot of specific plans, and of course, those plans don’t mean anything unless you’re willing to go up against the special interests and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:09:25] What does that mean? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:25] Well, these are interest groups that benefit… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:09:28] Which ones? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:09:29] …environmental groups that fund the Legislature, as well as fund Gavin’s campaign. We’ve got to take that money out of that, you know, out of that game, and we’ve got to make sure that we change the status quo. I’m someone who is going to work to change that status quo, and all these plans don’t mean a thing if we can’t change a lot of these laws that are adding to the costs, that are driving housing prices and apartment prices through the roof. There is no good reason why I’m able to build other places for a lot less cost than in California. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:00] One way to take the money out of this whole thing would be public financing of campaigns. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:10:03] No, that doesn’t do it, because then you have independent expenditures that are financed by these groups, you know, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:09] How do you do it then? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:10:09] Well, we’ll talk about that after I’m elected governor. I’ve got a lot of reform ideas, and there’s other reform ideas out there, but the fact of the matter is: the status quo isn’t working. We need change, we need to build affordable housing for people, and the rents. When I travel around the state, I talk to, at the Sriracha plant, I talked to Felipe Martinez, who’s renting a one bedroom apartment for himself and 4 children paying fifteen hundred dollars a month. People keep moving farther and farther away from their jobs because they can’t afford a house and then they get hit with this gas tax, which I hope we’re going to… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:10:45] We’ll talk about that, yeah. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:10:48] Scott, what you heard again – no specific strategies. Let me give you a specific strategy to address the example that John just advanced. We have a desire to take our 85 million dollar affordable housing tax credit, increase that over the next few years to five hundred million dollars to leverage more financing for affordable housing. We have strategies to address workforce housing. Those were where the jobs go to sleep, the quote unquote missing middle, for middle class families. We have specific strategies to address the issue of tax increment. We lost redevelopment years ago and we never came up with successor agencies. We have specific goals on enhanced infrastructure financing districts in the state taking advantage of these opportunity zones. Again, what you heard from John is an illusory strategy where he criticizes and identifies problems, but with all due respect, doesn’t have the details and the strategies to actually solve the problem. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:11:38] What you heard from Gavin is more government, more plans to pay out money from government, tax credits, plans for government financing, but if you don’t really attack the cost of building – the delays in building, the litigation, the lawsuits, the impact fees that are put on housing in the state – if you don’t do that, what you’re going to do is institutionalize these high rents. I don’t want rents costing 3000 dollars for a two bedroom apartment, and then have government come along and subsidize people for a short time. That’s going to put us even more in debt and it’s not addressing the problem. And I have specific plans on dealing with that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:12:14] Alright, let’s move to a new topic. Voters, you know, have a right to know who you guys are: what your values are, how you work, what kind of governor you’d be, because if you win, you’re gonna have to work with the Legislature and you’re gonna be appointing department heads and all this stuff. So I have a question, a different question, for each of you, starting with you, Mr. Newsom. Throughout your career, you’ve had a series of public spats, shall we say, with elected officials, Board of Supervisors. When you were mayor, there were a lot of back and forth comments, and sometimes, when you would get asked a tough question by reporters, you didn’t like it. You were somewhat, say, thin skinned. As lieutenant governor, you had a difficult relationship with Jerry Brown at the beginning – you tangled publicly with the State Senate President Pro Tem over gun control. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:12:56] Yeah, certainly. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:12:56] And also, a back and forth with the Speaker, Anthony Rendon, over single payer. So, my question is, like, what does that say about your ability to get along with the people you need to get along with? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:13:06] Well, I get along extraordinarily well with the Legislature. Currently, I get along, I got along very well with most of the members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, but I’m interested in change. You know, changing the order of things is difficult. Some people have different points of view. The Speaker has a different point of view on single payer financing. Members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors had different points of view on homeless strategies and different points of view on health care strategies. So look, I’m going to assert myself; I’m going to be bold. Not many people came to my defense when we advanced same sex marriage. You didn’t include that. You should, because the overwhelming majority of Democrats in this country, some of the most, I think, well-known Democratic leaders, were very, very critical, publicly, of my willingness to lean into that. I took on the National Rifle Association and they weren’t pleased by those efforts to require background checks, not just for gun purchases, but now ammunition purchases. So, if you’re looking for timidity, I’m not your person. If you’re looking for someone to be bold and courageous, lean into issues, change the order of things, I’m committing myself to that cause as the next governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:04] Do you think that you can be bold and not timid without getting in spats with your allies? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:14:10] Periodic. Look, I’ve been doing this for some time, and there’s areas of disagreement, and sometimes people are disagreeable. My intention is to go together and not go alone. I learned a lot over the years and my approach and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:20] What have you learned from those experiences? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:14:22] I think, at the end of the day, you know, there is that African proverb that is, “If you want to go fast go alone. But if you want to go far go together.” You know, when I look back over the course of 20 plus years, I was mayor at a relatively young age. There was a desire to do everything all at once. And I think issues of prioritizing, bringing people into your vision, making people feel part of the team. Those are all lessons. Those are all attributes I hope to bring to the government. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:14:45] Alright, and I have a question for you, Mr. Cox. Did you want to say something really fast? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:14:48] Yeah, I just wanted to emphasize that, you know, I come from the private sector where I have to work with people and get things done and achieve results, and I’ve done that for 40 years and, not everybody in my team agrees with everything that we have, but what we’ve got to do is, we’ve got to get people aligned around common goals and try to figure out the ways to reach those goals. And I think that’s what I’m gonna do as governor. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:07] And for you, I have a question about values. You started off your political life as a Democrat. You ran in Illinois to be a delegate to the 1976 Democratic convention. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:15] Yep. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:15] Then you became a Republican and you ran for local office in Chicago and then the U.S. Senate from Illinois, a guy named Barack Obama won that, and you ran for president in 2007, 2008. And I just want to read, refresh some of the points you made during those times. You said, we need a federal marriage amendment to keep same sex couples from marrying. You said, we have, and I’m quoting, “We have a problem with transvestite teachers.” You said that if we don’t use common sense we will, quote, “open the floodgates to polygamy and bestiality and all kinds of other things.” And you know, I could go on, but I guess I’m asking is: what does that say about your values, and about your, what kind of governor you’d be. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:54] You’re specifically referring to, you know, the issue of gay marriage. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:15:56] I have others; I do have others. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:15:58] Well, maybe so, but you know, the fact of the matter is that those were many, many years ago. I’ve evolved on those issues, and frankly just like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, who both opposed gay marriage very strongly for a long time. They evolve and they change. But, you know, I think the thing to take away from all that is that all the way through my efforts in the past, I’ve been fighting against the establishment and about corruption. You know, my mom was a Chicago schoolteacher. That’s what led me to want to fight corruption. It’s the corruption of these special interests that are making California too expensive and too unequal for people, and that’s what I’m going to attack in California as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:16:35] You say you’ve evolved and that’s fair, although he was mayor at the time that you said those things. It wasn’t like a long, long time ago, I mean, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:16:45] Well, maybe so, but as recently as 2003 and 2004, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were both against gay marriage, so, you know. I’ve evolved on those issues and I think they are not going to be germane to this. I think the important issues in this race are the affordability for people in this state, the ability to live a productive life and afford gasoline and water and electricity and, you know, the failing schools that we’re having to put up with – I think those are far more important issues. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:17:14] Scott, what is germane though is to understand more fully, look, it’s one thing to have, quote unquote, evolved on same sex marriage and I certainly respect that. But you supported a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage. You said, you equated, and Scott mentioned this, and I haven’t heard you evolve on this, that homosexuality leads to beastiality. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:17:31] No I didn’t say that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:17:32] Well you did, and you’re quoted saying that, and to quote unquote other things, you talked about transvestites as a way of advancing the notion that some people can choose to be home schooled to stay away from quote unquote transvestites. Have you evolved on those specific points? People have the right to know that, John. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:17:48] I have. And you know, again, this is all meant to take the topic away from the important things that people are worried about here in this state and that is the ability to rent a decent apartment at an affordable price. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:00] We’re gonna talk about that, but… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:18:02] You should be against discrimination against renting as well. The LGBT community is concerned about that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:18:05] I’m opposed to discrimination of all forms. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:08] We’re coming up on a break, but real quickly for each of you, which one of you represents the mainstream of California better? Mr. Cox? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:18:13] I think I do because I represent the people who are just trying to get by. I wasn’t put in office by billionaires. You know, I had to work my way up; I had to struggle all the way through, and that’s something that, I think, the people of the state identify with. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer: \u003c/strong>[00:18:28] 15 seconds. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:18:29] No, I say, I certainly think we represent the vast majority of Californians that reject John Cox’s absolute allegiance to Trump and Trumpism and his long standing advocacy for causes that I don’t think the vast majority of Californians embrace. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:18:43] Alright, you’re listening to the gubernatorial debate on KQED. I’m Scott Shafer. We’re going to take a very short break and we’ll be right back. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:20:00] And welcome back to KQED. We’re talking with John Cox, the Republican candidate for governor, and Gavin Newsom, the Democrat. Let’s switch topics and talk about criminal justice. Last month, Governor Brown signed a couple of bills giving the public, under certain conditions, more access to police personnel records and the video from police body cameras. Would you have signed either of those, Mr. Cox? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:20:21] No, I wouldn’t have, and let me tell you, I think we have a serious crime problem right here in this city. Now, San Francisco is the number one city for property crimes, and, you know, Gavin was mayor here for eight years. He didn’t solve the homeless problem here at all, and it’s gotten worse, and now, and not only that, but Gavin was also the only statewide official to endorse Prop 47, which redefined a lot of felonies as misdemeanors. That’s a serious issue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:20:50] And I’ll give him a chance, but we’re talking about transparency. Those bills are specifically about transparency. Tell me why you wouldn’t have signed them. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:20:55] I favor transparency. I certainly favor transparency, but I think we have to work more with our law enforcement and give them the tools and the ability to deal with, you know, particular situations. I regret the gulf between the police and, you know, people in the neighborhoods. I think there has to be a lot more communication. I think we have to foster that. But going after the police and opening up, you know, private personnel records, I think is, you know, it’s just kind of, it creates a fishing expedition for trial lawyers. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:21:32] I don’t know how you can be pro transparency and oppose that bill. Twenty seven states provide quote unquote some access to those records. What we did is reconcile that. There was a lot of compromise; there was a lot of work with law enforcement before it got on the governor’s desk. To the governor’s credit, he led a lot of those efforts to find common ground and compromise. It’s about transparency; it’s also about trust. And I am someone who believes, very passionately and very enthusiastically, am very supportive of the men and women in uniform. Same time, you could be pro public safety and pro civil rights and due process, and I think we found a nice balance with the legislation the governor signed. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:22:10] Another question on this topic: past governors, virtually every other governor except Jerry Brown, have reversed parole recommendations for most people who have come up for parole when they’re serving life sentences with the possibility of parole. Governor Brown has gone the other direction – he’s allowed about 80 percent of those parole recommendations to go forward and to let those felons out onto probation or out on the streets. Would you do that, Mr. Cox, would you go back to the way it was, or do you think that the governor, this governor, is doing the right thing? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:22:40] No, I think we have to be very tough. You know, I lament the fact that our criminal justice system is letting, you know, so many people and doing plea bargains out, to let people out on the streets. I think of Anthony Mele, who was a young man who was murdered in cold blood in Ventura by a guy who was out. He had, this guy had a rap sheet as long as my arm, and… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:23:05] But these are folks who have been recommended for parole by the parole board. Are you saying, maybe, you would apply a different kind of person to the board? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:23:11] No, I would look at, I would look at those judiciously of course, and evaluate those on the facts and the circumstances. I mean, I certainly believe in restoration. I’m on the board of a restorative justice mediation project in San Diego, so I do believe in reconciliation. But you know, and rehabilitation, but I want to make sure that the public is protected on each of these situations, so I’ll be pretty tough. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:23:34] I know you’re also Catholic. You’ve spoken about your Catholic faith; both of you are Catholic. How does that figure into, I remember talking to the governor about it, and he talked about redemption, and that’s one of the reasons he was giving these folks a second chance. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:23:46] I do believe in redemption. I really do. I think someone who has committed a crime, that’s why this Restorative Justice Project is so important, because it reconciles people, offenders, with their victims to make them understand what the hurt is of their victims. But I think we owe it to the public to make sure that we apply parole judiciously, and that we have a good set of eyes looking at this and make sure it’s evaluated. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:24:09] And I think we do have a good set of eyes, and we’ve had a good governor who’s done the right thing. What I’m trying to reconcile is John’s answer. He says he would not continue. I think, in the enlightened sense, policies of Governor Brown, which has been about restoration, has been about second chances, has been in the spirit of what John was advancing. I would like to build on that. I also would like to build on Governor Brown’s criminal justice reform legacy. There’ve been a lot of, I think, very enlightened reforms. Can’t be ideological about these reforms; you gotta be open to argument, interested in evidence as it relates to changing conditions. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:24:41] Do you think the jury’s still out on whether they’ve all been good changes? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:24:44] Oh no, on all of these things you have to be iterative. On Prop 57, which is about to be implemented; 47, three strikes; AB 9, which was realignment; you cannot be ideological. The fundamental responsibility of a governor or any chief executive is public safety, so that’s always top of mind, but just locking folks up, being quote unquote tough on crime, I don’t think, it’s necessarily the answer. That’s the old saw; I think being smart on crime. And I think the example of the last few years is an example of that, I think is a much more enlightened approach, and I want to build on that approach of Governor Brown. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:25:15] Prop 47 is widely acknowledged now to have been a real problem. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:25:19] And just for listeners who don’t know, we should say it was a ballot measure that downgraded a lot of mostly drug crimes too from felonies to misdemeanors. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:25:26] And you talk to a lot of small retailers and they’re finding that this is really creating problems for them and, you know, Gavin wants to continue Governor Brown’s management, or even worse, and the fact of the matter is – under Governor Brown, people are further being priced out of the state. They’re leaving the state in droves. In our schools, we’ve spent 80 percent more. I hope we talk about education because we have vastly increased spending for our schools and they’re now, in the bottom, you know, 10 percent of the states, and that’s just not a situation that I would want to continue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:25:59] We just had bail reform signed by the governor and that’s going to take effect next year. And I’m wondering: you know, judges are gonna get a lot more discretion because of that and people feel both sides of that, whether that’s a good idea or not. Another thing Governor Brown has done is, he’s really diversified the bench, not just in terms of race and ethnicity, but backgrounds. He’s appointed a lot of public defenders and a lot of defense attorneys and public interest attorneys. Is that, is that a trend you would continue or would you go a different direction? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:29] Having a balance is a good thing but this bail reform was not a good thing. I mean, what you’re doing is replacing a private business with a lot more state worker,s and that’s really who lobbied to get this done. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:26:43] Why would it need more state workers? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:45] Well, because you’re going to have a lot more people that are gonna have to go out now and bring people in to make sure that they appear for their trials. And that’s a real issue. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:26:53] Scott. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:26:54] And it eliminates an industry. You know, listen, this is all part of the same piece, and that is that we have to make sure that the people are protected and it’s not just rhetoric, it’s actual performance. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:27:02] You know, let’s talk about bail reform. Only Duterte’s Philippines and Trump’s United States of America have money bail. California became the first state to step up and step into this debate and do the right thing. It is insidious, from my humble perspective, African-Americans and Latinos are being incarcerated disproportionately for one reason: the size of their their ATM, their bank balance, not the likelihood that they’ll actually commit a crime before their crimes are officially adjudicated. This bail reform was an extraordinary step forward in a civil rights effort, not just a criminal justice reform. I applaud the governor. I applaud the Legislature for their enlightened leadership and, by the way, in terms of moving forward, one has to be, yes, very cautious about its application and implementation as it relates to that judicial oversight. And that is an expression of legitimate concern and the next governor will have to advance that concern by being very attentive to the implementation of that reform. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:27:58] We are not taking live calls on this show, but we did, through social media, solicit some question,s and we’ve got one now, sort of related to this topic of criminal justice. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:28:08] Hi, my name is Michelle Windahost. I live in San Clemente, and I would answer how they are going to handle gun violence. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:28:18] Cox, gun violence. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:28:19] Well, you know, one thing we need to do is stop publicize the names and pictures of these perpetrators of these gun crimes. A lot of them are mentally ill. You know, you almost have to be mentally ill to take another person’s life, the way that these have happened. I think California’s done a lot to keep guns out of the hands of people that are mentally deranged; I’d certainly be interested to look at more ways to keep guns out the hands of people… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:28:43] What would you be open to? What other things? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>John Cox: [00:28:44] You know, I don’t know, but I think we’ve done a lot already. I think what we need to do is we need to treat mental illness and we need to make sure that people, you know, who do commit these crimes don’t have their names and pictures publicized. I think that’s a mental illness as well. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:29:00] Do you think gun control is useful or not? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:29:02] Well, you know, criminals don’t care about gun control. I mean, they’ll break the law. That’s why they’re criminals. You know, more laws are not going to do the job. I certainly favor keeping guns out of the hands of people who are dangerous, people who are mentally ill, and…but you know, the Second Amendment is an important amendment. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:29:22] Let’s be honest with John’s record. He said gun safety laws are quote unquote a waste of time. He prides himself on being a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, doesn’t believe in wait times, and has been a strong advocate for concealed weapons, concealed carry legislation. In every one of these cases, I think he’s wrong, and all I can say is, thankfully, he’s not been in a position of real leadership and influence in the state of California, because we would not have had the progressive record on gun safety that we had that have saved literally countless of lives in this state. I’m very proud of the fact that I took on the NRA with Proposition 63 and we won and we’re about to be the first state in America to require the same background checks we do on guns for all ammunition purchases that begins in January of next year. It’s an example of a stark contrast between John and myself. I believe gun safety laws work and save lives; I want California to continue its leadership. He doesn’t believe that. And he’s proud of his longstanding support and A rating from a lot of the subgroups that are part of the National Rifle Association. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:30:25] Let’s be clear here, and it is that we’re talking about guns, we’re talking about all these other social issues that I’m not running to change, one iota, I am not. I am running to make sure that people in this state have an affordable life. They have schools that are not failing; they have available water, affordable water, affordable electricity. All these other things are being done to occupy time, and you know, really not address the issues that we ought to be addressing, and that is the cost of living in the state and the horrendous conditions of people that are struggling and trying to get by. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:30:59] But those same families, John, have the right to go and drop their kids off to school without worrying… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:04] I agree. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:05] …that some weapon of war is being used by someone that didn’t get a comprehensive background check, and you’ve not on every instance, you have not been there fighting for common sense, fighting for common sense gun safety laws. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:15] Would you join me in agreeing that we should ask the media not to publicize the names and pictures of people who are perpetuating these crimes? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:20] You’re just deflecting your fundamental opposition to any common sense gun safety. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:26] No, I’m not, I’m not opposed to it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:31:27] What about background checks? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:28] I’m not opposed to them; neither is the NRA. This is a red herring, and you know… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:31:34] For gun show loopholes? For ammunition purchases, John? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:31:35] Keeping up, keeping guns out of the hands of people that are mentally ill is a wonderful thing and I will certainly back that up completely. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:31:43] Alright, you’ve both talked about affordability and costs of living in California, and so we have a listener question. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:31:51] Hi, my name is Cindy Jerdonek. I’m from Santa Clara, California. And I’d like to ask both candidates: what is your position on California Proposition 6? It’s listed as eliminate certain road repair and transportation funding. I also have a flyer that says Vote YES on 6 to repeal the gas tax. I’m just curious from each of them what is their position of California Proposition 6. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:32:14] Let me begin. It’s quite clear, we’ve talked about this before, you have opposite positions on this. You, Mr. Cox, have been a supporter, a driving force behind Prop 6, getting it on the ballot, you support the repeal. Mr. Newsom, you oppose it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:32:28] I do not, yes.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:32:28] And I’m just wondering: what do each of you think the other one’s position says about the kind of governor they would be? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:32:34] Well, I think it’s clear. I think Gavin would not exercise enough control over the efficiency of our spending to Caltrans. Caltrans has been regularly highlighted as one of the more inefficient agencies in the country. It spends way more than a lot of other states to build a mile of road and there’s a lot of contractors who make hefty contributions to Gavin, as well as to Mr. Brown, and, you know, they build that into their cost, and the public pays for it. And instead of reforming that system… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:08] How would you do that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:33:09] Well, we need to get the money out of politics, and I’m going to be talking about that day one on November 7th after I’m elected. But you know, we also need to make sure that Caltrans use its money efficiently and you know, the politicians, like Gavin, went ahead and approved an increase in the gas tax. They didn’t want to do the tough job; the tough job would have been making Caltrans live within its means. The tough job would have been modifying CEQA, which, by the way, it’s been waived for a lot of sports stadiums who have connected investors. But it’s not been waived for road building and it’s driven up the cost… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:46] For housing. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:33:47] Or for housing and it’s driven up costs and the people are paying for it and they can’t keep doing that. They are struggling and unable to live in the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:33:55] So to you then, what would you, what does it say about the kind of governor he would be. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:33:59] I’ll answer that. But I want to make some fundamental points here. San Jose, San Francisco, and L.A. have the worst road conditions in the United States of America. What John just argued for is to make things worse. His plan is to make things worse. The fact is the legislature and the governor finally began to address this issue in a substantive way. He’s talking about taking away over five billion dollars every single year for road improvements, public safety improvements, addressing the issue of traffic and congestion, which in and of itself is a hidden tax. And to reconcile the fact that 27 other states since 2013 have increased their sales tax, or rather gas taxes, in an effort to improve their roads. He chooses not to do that. He talks about the illusory notion of efficiencies. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:34:43] It is not illusory. The fact is, John, you may not be aware of this, but the entire payroll at Caltrans is 2.86 billion dollars. You can eliminate every single position. I imagine that’s the ultimate manifestation of efficiency… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:34:54] No. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:34:54] And still struggle to find the money that you are taking away and advocating away from improving our roads, our tunnels, and our bridges in this state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:03] This state is supposedly running a surplus right now and it generates tens of billions of dollars from motor vehicle related sources, sales taxes on cars and other things like that that aren’t being used. We have a surplus. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>Scott Shafer: [00:35:15] Let me just ask you about that, because… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:17] Why are we digging into the pockets of people who were already paying the highest housing prices, the highest water prices, the highest electricity prices in the country. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:35:26] John, what’s the plan to rebuild the roads and the bridges? Where does the 50 billion dollars come from? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:32] We’re gonna build a lot more roads. We’re going to use money efficiently and we’re not going to, we’re going to cut good deals with contractors, and you know, he can… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:35:39] Is it going to be union labor? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:35:39] He can laugh about it because this budget has zoomed under the last eight years, when Mr., you know, when Gavin was, was the governor and the budget has zoomed now to over 200 billion dollars, and they haven’t been building the roads. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:35:55] Well, let me ask you about that, though, because the last governor you’re running, of course, you’re a Republican, the last Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. I mean, you’ve said in your commercials that Democrats broke it, they broke everything – that’s why the state is a mess. But Jerry Brown inherited a 26 billion dollar deficit and he’s leaving, as you say, a surplus. So, and part of what Arnold Schwarzenegger ran on was cutting the car tax, and it blew a big hole in the budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:19] Well, you gotta remember, 2010 is when Governor Brown took office. The whole country was in a financial disaster at that point in time and so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:36:26] But cutting the car tax contributed to that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:28] Well no, not necessarily no. The housing crisis and the financial… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:36:32] To the budget deficit I mean. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:36:33] Well, yeah, but the budget meltdown, and that’s another issue that we need to talk about, and that is the reliance on a very thin layer of people to finance this government, and we’ve built up a huge amount of cost in this in this budget that has to be addressed and, you know, Gavin is not going to address those things. I’m going to have to address them because, you know, in the private sector, I can’t afford to waste money and I have to use every penny efficiently. And that’s not being done in Sacramento. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:37:00] We’re going to find more efficiency with Caltrain, but I want to make a poin, that you’re emphasizing, at least, in the frame of your question. We inherited a 27 billion dollar budget deficit. We have an eight and a half billion budget surplus. We’ve had 101 consecutive months of net job growth, a three point seven percent GDP growth rate average over the last four years, the lowest unemployment in recorded history. California has created 3 plus million jobs under Governor Brown’s administration since 2010. We’re proud of that record. There are stubborn areas where we have to do more and do better on homelessness, on housing, the broader issues of cost of living. I concur. And the difference between myself and my opponent, John Cox, is we actually have strategies and plans to address those issues, and with respect the… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:37:43] I have all kinds of plans. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:37:43] …illusory notion of quote unquote efficiencies of Caltrans, and I can assure you, that’s not going to build any road or bridge in the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:37:50] So you’re saying that the money’s there, because there’s a surplus, but what happens when in a downturn, I mean, the gas tax is going to be generating five billion dollars for 10 years. So in those down years, which are inevitable, where would the money come from to fix the roads? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:38:03] We’ve got to certainly broaden that; we’ve got to get a look at every expense that we incur. We’ve got to audit every agency and we’ve gotta get, root out the the waste in this budget. And believe me, there’s a lot of it. This budget has increased tremendously and there’s a tremendous amount of waste and mismanagement that’s going on in this budget. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:38:23] Alright, we still have much more to talk about. You’re listening to the gubernatorial debate on KQED; I’m Scott Shafer. We’re going to take a very short break and we will be back with Gavin Newsom and John Cox. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:40:00] And we continue our conversation with the candidates for governor, John Cox and Gavin Newsom. I want to say that before today, we reached out to a lot of reporters that we respect from places like the L.A. Times, CalMatters, San Francisco Chronicle, Politico, and our public radio partners, and we got their suggestions for questions and topics, and a lot of the questions you’re hearing today are a reflection of their inputs, so I want to thank them for that. This question, though, comes from one of our listeners. Let’s listen. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Listener Question:\u003c/strong> [00:40:26] Hi, my name is Maria. I live in Los Angeles, California. My question to both of the candidates is: what will they do to resolve the issue of our sanctuary state, or sanctuary city, to deal with the illegal alien problems that we have. Thank you! \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:40:45] And we should say two to three million folks here, who are here without documents, here illegally. Who wants to go first? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:40:53] Well, I think public safety is the most important thing, and I think we need to have law enforcement work together to make sure the public is safe. I’ve talked to sheriffs all over the state who have told me that the sanctuary state law is an impediment to their ability to police their communities and to make sure that criminal activity is reduced. They tell me that they get information and they have information about gang activity and about people who are engaged in drug dealing and other kinds of things. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:41:28] How does the sanctuary law stop them from pursuing them? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:41:31] Because if they know that they’re here illegally, they can’t inform ICE until they actually go through and get a conviction under a lot of issues that are putting into the sanctuary state law. I think if somebody is here illegally and are engaged in criminal activity, I think it’s up to our public officials to take them out. I don’t want my family to have their papers checked everywhere they are. I don’t want any family in California to have that. We should be checking papers at the border, not on a yard or not in a classroom, or… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:42:09] You said you’d get rid of the sanctuary law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:42:11] I would get rid of the sanctuary law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:42:13] How? How would you get rid of it? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:42:13] Well, I think we need to get the legislature to do that, and if they don’t do it, I think we need to get it to a vote of the people. This law, I think, is very unpopular. I think it sends the wrong message. I think people want to know that they’re going to have their law enforcement officials work together. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:42:29] Here’s one of the clearest points of contrast between myself and John Cox. He’s someone who believes very passionately in building the wall. He believes that sanctuary policy should be eliminated. He believes in the elimination, as he refers to it, of chain migration, which is nothing more than family reunification. He parrots at, almost every opportunity, Donald Trump and Trumpism, and Trump would have an advocate in Sacramento if he becomes the next governor. As it relates to the issue of immigration, here are the facts. And with respect to the question, I hope the listener has the benefit of listening to this, and that is, fundamentally, the immigrants of this state are under, not over, underrepresented in the criminal justice system. The fact is, sanctuary counties are not more violent, more dangerous than sanctuary cities and counties, quite the contrar. Sanctuary policy is nothing more than this. It’s about community policing. It’s about building trust. A victim of crime, or witness a crime, is more likely to come forward if they’re not worried about local law enforcement being an arm of federal immigration deportation. They’re more likely to get their child educated, drop them off at school if they’re not worried about a school crossing guard being part of that immigration arm. Accordingly, they’re more likely, this time of year, flu season to get an immunization shot and be healthier if they’re not worried about the nurse turning them over. I fear, under a Cox administration working hand in glove with Donald Trump, that our policies are progressive and enlightened, policies on immigration, will roll back into the dark ages. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:01] Mr. Cox, you once said, I think, that you would arrest CEOs that hired undocumented immigrants. Is that, does that reflect your thinking? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:44:07] You know, I think we need to make sure that we provide a guest worker program and other avenues for people. But yeah, I think we should not be hiring people who have broken the law and cut in line. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:17] What would the penalty be? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox: \u003c/strong>[00:44:18] I think a lot of immigrants…I don’t know when we would need to determine that, but I think every country has a right to determine its borders, and unfortunately, the country to the south of us had 26000 murders last year. I don’t want to see drugs, guns, and human trafficking come across that border, and I think, you know, a border wall is necessary. I live in San Diego and it’s had some effect there, but… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:44:43] You know the Republican mayor of San Diego opposes the law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:44:45] Maybe so, but you know, a lot of people, you know, think it’s the right thing to do. You know, having said that, I am not in favor of checking papers in classrooms or on people’s yards and going around and taking people out who are obeying the law. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:00] What about ICE in courthouses? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:45:02] I want to make sure that if somebody is involved in criminal activity, that they’re here illegally, they should be removed from the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:45:11] Look, let me just say this about the wall: the wall, it’s a monument to stupidity. The Wall is intended to divide this country. John may be familiar with this. I hope others are as well. Forty percent of people here without documentation came here because they overstayed their visa. Many flew. This notion of a sixth century solution to a 21st century problem is ludicrous, from my humble perspective. As it relates to sanctuary, there certainly should be sanctuary when people are accessing the court system, and I subscribe to a point of view that’s aligned with the vast majority of judges that believe that should be a neutral territory, and I should not be coming in raiding our court system where people are trying to access justice or participating in the justice system. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:53] When you were mayor, and I know you remember this, there was a terrible murder of a father, and I think, two sons… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:45:58] Yep. The Bologna family. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:45:59] It was committed by somebody who was here illegally, had been in the juvenile justice system, and was not turned over to the police, and I wonder, you know, you then implemented a policy to turn over juveniles accused of crimes before they were convicted. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Yeah. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Was that a mistake? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:46:13] Yeah, due process. I mean, the fact is, if I had that to do over again, the issue of due process was the missing link there. Look, the point is that sanctuary policy is not a shield for criminal activity. No one is suggesting, somehow, John implied, that people have the right to unfettered violence in this state; regardless of their immigration status, they need to be held to account. The question is due process, and so the iterative quality of these laws requires some objectivity, not an ideological prism. That’s why Governor Brown, as an example, amended the sanctuary law that he was handed with 800 specific conditions where we can coordinate and collaborate with ICE along the lines of some of the mistakes and lessons that were learned from the past. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:46:56] Well, one of those conditions was that the state prisons were exempted from that legislation. Would you change that? Should prisons be part of it? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom: \u003c/strong>[00:47:02] I think I stand by what the governor did today, but I am open to argument as new evidence and new conditions present themselves. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:47:11] Alright, let’s talk about a timely topic: climate change. Today is the one year anniversary of the wildfires up in the North Bay. Dozens of people killed, thousands of structures destroyed, homes, and there is a new report out today from the United Nations on climate change saying that these terrible changes to climate are coming more quickly than we thought, and they say it can’t really be addressed without even, like, getting rid of coal altogether. And so I’m wondering, you know, California has taken a lot of steps. Do you agree with those, what additional steps, Mr. Cox, do you think it should take, or what were some of the mistakes we’ve made so far in enacting some of these environmental policies. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:47:48] Well, I’m not an ideologue on this. I’m a problem solver; I’m also not a climatologist. I’ve said in the past that I’m not, but I’ll certainly listen to climatologists on this. I believe the Earth is getting warmer and humans may well have an effect on it, and I want the air as clean as possible. I drive an electric car; I’m proud of that. The point is that, are we getting enough of an impact on the world’s atmosphere to justify the cost to the people of this state? India and China are dumping tons of carbon into the air. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:48:25] Well, they’ve also signed onto the Paris agreement, which… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:48:27] They should, because they’re one of the worst. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:48:29] But we pulled out of it. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:48:29] Well, but we’re doing a lot. We’ve done a lot in California to clean the air. Frankly, the politicians, like Gavin, you know, have failed miserably to police the forest, and take care of the forest and manage the forest. The carbons that was released by the fires, and it’s one year anniversary of those fires, the carbon released by those fires was, you know, comprised months of carbon from cars and trucks that were working to try to reduce, so… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:49:01] Governor Brown just signed SB 100 which requires the state by 2045 to get all of its energy from clean sources. Would you have signed that? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:49:08] Well, no, because what we’re going to do then is we’re going to double electricity prices. It’s a worthy goal. It’s a wonderful, lofty goal to have. I certainly want the air to be clean, but we’re going to keep pounding people of this state into poverty. Electricity prices in the state are already almost twice what Texas pays. The 100 percent renewable is a wonderful goal, but it’s also going to drive people further into poverty – we can’t keep doing that to the people of the state. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> [00:49:37] So John Cox, celebrated, at least acknowledged enthusiastically, that Donald Trump did the right thing when he pulled out of Paris. I reject that, and I applaud the leadership in the state of California, particularly Governor Brown, to radically change the way we produce and consume energy. I applaud his effort to get to 100 percent renewables by 2045 to get to 60 percent renewables by 2030, and I believe California has a unique role and responsibility, not just nationally, but internationally, to lead. Again, a stark contrast in this campaign for governor – someone who believes in climate change believes that it’s manmade. John still is not convinced it’s manmade. Someone who’s lead, as a former mayor, on low carbon green growth, someone that will take the principles and goals and the objectives that have been outlined over the last few years and make them real – substantively, the goal of reducing our greenhouse gas emissions 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030. That is going to be a challenge. I’m up for that challenge. John is not, again, a stark contrast in this race. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:50:39] The politicians like Gavin like to make these political statements, and I think it’s… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> [00:50:43] But it’s a law; it’s not just a statement. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> [00:50:44] …a wonderful goal to have renewable energy. I’m all in favor, but we can’t keep increasing the cost of electricity. I favor nuclear power; I think that can be done cleanly. Natural gas can be done cleanly. I believe we could, you know, use technology to ultimately have cars that are much cleaner burning, but right now, the wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine. We need to make sure that we have backup power. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Mr. Newsom, Jerry Brown has been taking flak from the left from the “keep it in the ground” lobby about fracking and about drilling in California, not off the coast, but in the mainland of California. Would you reverse those policies that he’s enacted? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> Yeah, I think we’ll tighten them up. I think fracking is starting to fall on its own petard. Wall Street is the one leading this recognition. You’re seeing interest rates rise, the fracking experiment is beginning to wane. So I think that’s a natural opportunity for the next governor to get a little bit more aggressive as it relates to fracking. But again, California is leading in almost every capacity. We’re creating jobs. We’re leaning into the future. This is California’s great, I think, foreign policy. It’s one that I’m very proud that Governor Brown has led. And, boy, I really hope folks are paying attention. I would be very cautious to revert back to the normalization of deviancy as it relates to a lack of intentionality and leadership around climate change. California has a responsibility, has an important international role to play. I am committed and passionate about that. I want to lead. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> That’s wonderful except that people can’t afford to live in this state and they’re moving out, and our electricity costs and our gasoline costs are pounding the average person and it’s all well and good to talk about this wonderful goal that we have. Let’s work toward it, but let’s not kill people in terms of their affordable lifestyles. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> OK, we’ve got a few more minutes. I want to try to give them a couple of more topics in. Today’s Brett Kavanaugh’s first full day on the job at the Supreme Court, and both of you have young daughters…you have four daughters, Mr. Cox, you have two daughters younger, but I’m wondering like, what do you think is such a bitter confirmation battle. A lot of women are concerned what it means for reproductive rights and that sort of thing. What’s your takeaway from, from what happened? I mean, what would you tell your daughters if they ask you, or have a conversation with them? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> You know, I regret all the divisiveness in politics today. If I have anything to say about it I’m going to try to get reforms that reduce the divisiveness in politics. I think a lot of it has to do with fundraising. And I think you saw that with a lot of the politicians in Washington on both sides. Fundraising off their extreme statements. And frankly you see it in this discussion with Gavin, you know, trying to paint me as some, you know, as different on so many issues. And recharacterize my positions. You know, I think what we need to do is we need to take a step back and try to get more comedy, more, you know, kindness and issue discussion into our politics and, you know, I take a backseat…As you mentioned, you know, I have four daughters, my mom was a working mom. I think Dr. Ford needed to be heard and should have been believed. And… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Would you have voted to confirm? \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> You know, I’m not going to get in the middle of that. Frankly, I’m focused on the issues in California. But I want to point out that I led the Recall of Bob Filner as the mayor of San Diego, because I think anybody who uses their position of power and authority to impose themselves on an under, someone who is subordinate to them, you know, should be surcharged and should be removed from office, frankly. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> I think it’s very relevant. You say you care about the issues of California. It’s very relevant and Kavanaugh. Because you can have a profound impact on California and Californians. On their reproductive rights, of which you do not believe a woman has a right to choose regardless whether or not they’re raped or had a tragic incident of incest. Kavanaugh will play an outsized role in that. You’ve been an advocate for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act which would have cost, in the Graham-Cassidy bill, one hundred thirty eight point eight dollars billion dollars by 2027 in the state of California and that also eliminated funding for Planned Parenthood. And that will impact reproductive rights access for millions and millions of women and not only this state but across the country. These things are relevant. Issues of private property rights, issues of access to our beach and waterfront, issues associated with our dreamers and our immigration policy. Kavanaugh is going to play an outsized role in all of those respective, including presidential power. For all those reasons I opposed his nomination and I think it was a sad day yesterday when he got sworn in. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Real quick response if you have one. If not we’re going to move on. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> I will certainly appoint judges, uh justices in California who will respect the Constitution and respect the U.S. Constitution and the California Constitution and try to keep the politics out of it. Think there’s just too much in the way of politics involved. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> We’re almost at the end. I want to give both of you an opportunity to just sort of summarize what is at stake in this election and, because of the coin toss, we’re going to start with you, Mr. Newsom, and John Cox you’ll have the last word. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Gavin Newsom:\u003c/strong> Well, I think there’s an enormous amount at stake. I think you got a good sense of where we are on key positions. The question I think for the voters is who’s got the best ideas moving forward? Who’s got the practical experience? Who has the capacity to deliver on ideals and goals? My biggest issue, again, remains the issue of addressing the income and wealth disparities in the state that doesn’t, in a way that doesn’t begrudge other people’s success but addresses these issues in a systemic way. I’ve run a campaign that’s been positive. Our campaign commercials are not attacking my opponent. They’re attaching themselves to attacking problems with policy solutions. And I think the most important thing, and I want to just reinforce it here today, the most important thing the next governor can do is reconcile this fact. 85 percent of the brain is formed by the time someone’s just three years old. The most important investment we can make to address the issue of systemic poverty, address the issue of criminal justice reform, is to begin at the beginning. Invest in prenatal care, early Head Start, nurse home visits, preschool. That is the architecture of life and that is a disproportionate bias that I want to bring into the work of governor and will be a top agenda if I’m successful this November. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Mr. Cox. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong>This election is about change versus the status quo. I represent change. My opponent is for the gas tax. He’s for the train to nowhere that’s a waste of money for the taxpayers of this state. His answer for the housing crisis is more government spending. Mine is to reduce the cost of housing so that people can afford to live in this state. We didn’t talk about education but the schools are failing our children. That is a future that we are giving up. I’ve been in the public sector, or the private sector, for 40 years getting things done. Gavin has been in office for 16 years. He has been the Lieutenant Governor for eight years. Never had any of these things that he talked about and solving the problems. We need to solve the problems of the state. We need to get change. We need to make sure that California leads the way on education, on affordability, on water. I am against water rationing which he is for. So there’s a lot of areas that people need to know that we are opposed, and I will make this state affordable and livable again. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Alright, thank you very much. And I want to acknowledge what you said. We didn’t really talk about education. Absolutely true. Didn’t talk about pension reform or water, health care…big topics we didn’t get to. We had an hour, so I encourage people to go to your website, to go to our website… \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>John Cox:\u003c/strong> I’d be willing to have another one of these discussions because I think it’s important. I’ve agreed to five of these, and can’t get my my young friend to do that. \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "floatright"
},
"numeric": [
"floatright"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Scott Shafer:\u003c/strong> Thank you very much, both of you. John Cox. Gavin Newsom. That concludes the KQED Governor’s Debate. There will be coverage and analysis of the debate throughout the day on many of these stations. I’m Scott Shafer. Thanks to you for listening. Thanks to the candidates for being here. And have a great day. \u003c/p>\n\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867627/cox-newsom-face-off-in-final-california-gubernatorial-debate",
"authors": [
"2010101854226"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_17",
"forum_755",
"forum_568",
"forum_841",
"forum_734",
"forum_302"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101867646",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867631": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867631",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867631",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1539014400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538773298,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: 4th Congressional District Candidates Tom McClintock and Jessica Morse",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: 4th Congressional District Candidates Tom McClintock and Jessica Morse | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>As part of our election 2018 coverage, we talk with the candidates for the 4th congressional district, which is centered in California’s Gold Country. Republican incumbent Rep. Tom McClintock has a reputation as an anti-tax and limited government conservative. The American Conservative Union rates McClintock as the state’s most conservative congressman. First-time candidate Jessica Morse— a Northern California native—has worked for USAID in Iraq and later at the State Department. She prioritizes issues such as fire prevention policy and protection of public lands.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>What questions do you have for the candidates?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 102,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 4
},
"modified": 1704429884,
"excerpt": "As part of our election 2018 coverage, we talk with the candidates for the 4th congressional district.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "As part of our election 2018 coverage, we talk with the candidates for the 4th congressional district.",
"title": "Election 2018: 4th Congressional District Candidates Tom McClintock and Jessica Morse | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: 4th Congressional District Candidates Tom McClintock and Jessica Morse",
"datePublished": "2018-10-05T14:01:38-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:44:44-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-4th-congressional-district-candidates-tom-mcclintock-and-jessica-morse",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181008a.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Tom McClintock",
"bio": "Representative (R), U.S. Congress, 4th District"
},
{
"name": "Jessica Morse",
"bio": "candidate for U.S. Congress, 4th District"
}
],
"airdate": 1539014400,
"nprByline": "Katie Orr",
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3125,
"path": "/forum/2010101867631/election-2018-4th-congressional-district-candidates-tom-mcclintock-and-jessica-morse",
"audioDuration": 3156000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>As part of our election 2018 coverage, we talk with the candidates for the 4th congressional district, which is centered in California’s Gold Country. Republican incumbent Rep. Tom McClintock has a reputation as an anti-tax and limited government conservative. The American Conservative Union rates McClintock as the state’s most conservative congressman. First-time candidate Jessica Morse— a Northern California native—has worked for USAID in Iraq and later at the State Department. She prioritizes issues such as fire prevention policy and protection of public lands.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>What questions do you have for the candidates?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867631/election-2018-4th-congressional-district-candidates-tom-mcclintock-and-jessica-morse",
"authors": [
"byline_forum_2010101867631"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_825",
"forum_830",
"forum_827",
"forum_826"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101867638",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867560": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867560",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867560",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1538582400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538521802,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Insurance Commissioner Candidates Ricardo Lara and Steve Poizner",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Insurance Commissioner Candidates Ricardo Lara and Steve Poizner | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>The California Department of Insurance manages a $250 million budget, enforces insurance laws, regulates companies and investigates health care fraud. The state insurance commissioner not only oversees those functions, but also advocates for homeowners seeking insurance for natural disasters like wildfires and earthquakes. As part of our Election 2018 coverage, Forum meets insurance commissioner candidates state Sen. Ricardo Lara and tech entrepreneur Steve Poizner.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 66,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704429912,
"excerpt": "The California Department of Insurance manages a $250 million budget, enforces insurance laws, regulates companies and investigates health care fraud. The state insurance commissioner not only oversees those functions, but also advocates for homeowners seeking insurance for natural disasters like wildfires and earthquakes. As part of our Election 2018 coverage, Forum meets insurance commissioner candidates state Sen. Ricardo Lara and tech entrepreneur Steve Poizner.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "The California Department of Insurance manages a $250 million budget, enforces insurance laws, regulates companies and investigates health care fraud. The state insurance commissioner not only oversees those functions, but also advocates for homeowners seeking insurance for natural disasters like wildfires and earthquakes. As part of our Election 2018 coverage, Forum meets insurance commissioner candidates state Sen. Ricardo Lara and tech entrepreneur Steve Poizner.",
"title": "Election 2018: Insurance Commissioner Candidates Ricardo Lara and Steve Poizner | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Insurance Commissioner Candidates Ricardo Lara and Steve Poizner",
"datePublished": "2018-10-02T16:10:02-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:45:12-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-insurance-commissioner-candidates-ricardo-lara-and-steve-poizner",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181003a.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Ricardo Lara",
"bio": "candidate for Insurance Commissioner; State Senator, representing the 33rd district (D-Bell Gardens)"
},
{
"name": "Steve Poizner",
"bio": "candidate for Insurance Commissioner; former California Insurance Commissioner (2007 to 2011)"
}
],
"airdate": 1538582400,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3150,
"path": "/forum/2010101867560/election-2018-insurance-commissioner-candidates-ricardo-lara-and-steve-poizner",
"audioDuration": 3163000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>The California Department of Insurance manages a $250 million budget, enforces insurance laws, regulates companies and investigates health care fraud. The state insurance commissioner not only oversees those functions, but also advocates for homeowners seeking insurance for natural disasters like wildfires and earthquakes. As part of our Election 2018 coverage, Forum meets insurance commissioner candidates state Sen. Ricardo Lara and tech entrepreneur Steve Poizner.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867560/election-2018-insurance-commissioner-candidates-ricardo-lara-and-steve-poizner",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_819"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101860561",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867539": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867539",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867539",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1538499600000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538440389,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Proposition 6 Would Repeal California's Gas Tax",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Proposition 6 Would Repeal California’s Gas Tax | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>Last year, the Democrat-controlled state legislature approved a $5 billion-a-year tax on gasoline and vehicle fees, which raised fuel taxes 12 cents per gallon and diesel taxes 20 cents per gallon. Proponents of the tax say the move was necessary to fund much-needed repairs and infrastructure projects. But the Republican-led opposition says the fees are not actually being spent on transportation and are yet another financial burden for Californians. Now, voters will get to decide whether the tax should be repealed by voting on Proposition 6. In this hour of Forum, we’ll debate California’s gas tax and discuss how it’s become an inflection point for many of this year’s state races.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Links\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://noprop6.com/news/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">No on Prop 6 Website\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"http://voteyesonprop6.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKsqKCZ0-VD7TOTBQpzN43iG_c6z5MEwXp1FmgAYfTwq00AQWKymQ7GhoCuHsQAvD_BwE\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Yes on Prop 6 website\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 138,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 4
},
"modified": 1704429920,
"excerpt": "Last year, the Democrat-controlled state legislature approved a $5 billion-a-year tax on gasoline and vehicle fees, which raised fuel taxes 12 cents per gallon and diesel taxes 20 cents per gallon. Proponents of the tax say the move was necessary to fund much-needed repairs and infrastructure projects. But the Republican-led opposition says the fees are not actually being spent on transportation and are yet another financial burden for Californians. Now, voters will get to decide whether the tax should be repealed by voting on Proposition 6. In this hour of Forum, we’ll debate California's gas tax and discuss how it’s become an inflection point for many of this year’s state races.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "Last year, the Democrat-controlled state legislature approved a $5 billion-a-year tax on gasoline and vehicle fees, which raised fuel taxes 12 cents per gallon and diesel taxes 20 cents per gallon. Proponents of the tax say the move was necessary to fund much-needed repairs and infrastructure projects. But the Republican-led opposition says the fees are not actually being spent on transportation and are yet another financial burden for Californians. Now, voters will get to decide whether the tax should be repealed by voting on Proposition 6. In this hour of Forum, we’ll debate California's gas tax and discuss how it’s become an inflection point for many of this year’s state races.",
"title": "Election 2018: Proposition 6 Would Repeal California's Gas Tax | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Proposition 6 Would Repeal California's Gas Tax",
"datePublished": "2018-10-01T17:33:09-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:45:20-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-proposition-6-would-repeal-californias-gas-tax",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181002b.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Katie Orr",
"bio": "Sacramento Politics and Government Reporter, KQED News"
},
{
"name": "Carl DeMaio",
"bio": "former San Diego City Councilmember"
},
{
"name": "Carl Guardino",
"bio": "President and CEO, the Silicon Valley Leadership Group"
}
],
"airdate": 1538499600,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3144,
"path": "/forum/2010101867539/election-2018-proposition-6-would-repeal-californias-gas-tax",
"audioDuration": 3155000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>Last year, the Democrat-controlled state legislature approved a $5 billion-a-year tax on gasoline and vehicle fees, which raised fuel taxes 12 cents per gallon and diesel taxes 20 cents per gallon. Proponents of the tax say the move was necessary to fund much-needed repairs and infrastructure projects. But the Republican-led opposition says the fees are not actually being spent on transportation and are yet another financial burden for Californians. Now, voters will get to decide whether the tax should be repealed by voting on Proposition 6. In this hour of Forum, we’ll debate California’s gas tax and discuss how it’s become an inflection point for many of this year’s state races.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Links\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://noprop6.com/news/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">No on Prop 6 Website\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"http://voteyesonprop6.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKsqKCZ0-VD7TOTBQpzN43iG_c6z5MEwXp1FmgAYfTwq00AQWKymQ7GhoCuHsQAvD_BwE\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Yes on Prop 6 website\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867539/election-2018-proposition-6-would-repeal-californias-gas-tax",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_818",
"forum_817"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101865955",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867493": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867493",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867493",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1538415000000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538174868,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: California Proposition 3 Would Fund Water Infrastructure Projects with Bonds",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: California Proposition 3 Would Fund Water Infrastructure Projects with Bonds | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>California voters must decide in November whether or not to approve an $8.9 billion bond measure for water-related projects like groundwater storage, repairing dams and restoring protected habitats. Proponents of Proposition 3 say California’s water infrastructure is crumbling, but critics say the measure targets the wrong projects and lacks oversight. What questions do you have about the proposition?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 64,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704429943,
"excerpt": "California voters must decide in November whether or not to approve an $8.9 billion bond measure for water-related projects like groundwater storage, repairing dams and restoring protected habitats. Proponents of Proposition 3 say California's water infrastructure is crumbling, but critics say the measure targets the wrong projects and lacks oversight. What questions do you have about the proposition?",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "California voters must decide in November whether or not to approve an $8.9 billion bond measure for water-related projects like groundwater storage, repairing dams and restoring protected habitats. Proponents of Proposition 3 say California's water infrastructure is crumbling, but critics say the measure targets the wrong projects and lacks oversight. What questions do you have about the proposition?",
"title": "Election 2018: California Proposition 3 Would Fund Water Infrastructure Projects with Bonds | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: California Proposition 3 Would Fund Water Infrastructure Projects with Bonds",
"datePublished": "2018-09-28T15:47:48-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:45:43-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-california-proposition-3-would-fund-water-infrastructure-projects-with-bonds",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181001bc.mp3",
"airdate": 1538415000,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 1685,
"path": "/forum/2010101867493/election-2018-california-proposition-3-would-fund-water-infrastructure-projects-with-bonds",
"audioDuration": 1686000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>California voters must decide in November whether or not to approve an $8.9 billion bond measure for water-related projects like groundwater storage, repairing dams and restoring protected habitats. Proponents of Proposition 3 say California’s water infrastructure is crumbling, but critics say the measure targets the wrong projects and lacks oversight. What questions do you have about the proposition?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867493/election-2018-california-proposition-3-would-fund-water-infrastructure-projects-with-bonds",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_17",
"forum_568",
"forum_833",
"forum_500"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101861004",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867498": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867498",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867498",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1538414100000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1538175229,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Candidate for Secretary of State Candidate Mark Meuser",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Candidate for Secretary of State Candidate Mark Meuser | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>Republican Mark Meuser is challenging incumbent Democrat Alex Padilla for the position of Secretary of State. Meuser, a California native and Walnut Creek resident, believes that “the counting of one’s ballot should not be a partisan issue.” In August, Meuser finished visiting all of California’s 58 counties — by bike. We’ll hear about Meuser’s unconventional campaign tour, his platform and how he views the role of the state’s top elections officer.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Coverage:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/forum/2010101868037/election-2018-secretary-of-state-candidate-alex-padilla\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Listen to the interview with Secretary of State candidate Alex Padilla\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/elections\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">KQED’s Complete Election Coverage\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003c/ul>\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 104,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 4
},
"modified": 1704429939,
"excerpt": "Republican Mark Meuser is challenging incumbent Democrat Alex Padilla for the position of Secretary of State. Meuser, a California native and Walnut Creek resident, believes that \"the counting of one's ballot should not be a partisan issue.\" In August, Meuser finished visiting all of California's 58 counties -- by bike. We'll hear about Meuser's unconventional campaign tour, his platform and how he views the role of the state's top elections officer.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "Republican Mark Meuser is challenging incumbent Democrat Alex Padilla for the position of Secretary of State. Meuser, a California native and Walnut Creek resident, believes that "the counting of one's ballot should not be a partisan issue." In August, Meuser finished visiting all of California's 58 counties -- by bike. We'll hear about Meuser's unconventional campaign tour, his platform and how he views the role of the state's top elections officer.",
"title": "Election 2018: Candidate for Secretary of State Candidate Mark Meuser | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Candidate for Secretary of State Candidate Mark Meuser",
"datePublished": "2018-09-28T15:53:49-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:45:39-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-candidate-for-secretary-of-state-candidate-mark-meuser",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/10/Forum20181001bb.mp3",
"airdate": 1538414100,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 966,
"path": "/forum/2010101867498/election-2018-candidate-for-secretary-of-state-candidate-mark-meuser",
"audioDuration": 967000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>Republican Mark Meuser is challenging incumbent Democrat Alex Padilla for the position of Secretary of State. Meuser, a California native and Walnut Creek resident, believes that “the counting of one’s ballot should not be a partisan issue.” In August, Meuser finished visiting all of California’s 58 counties — by bike. We’ll hear about Meuser’s unconventional campaign tour, his platform and how he views the role of the state’s top elections officer.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Related Coverage:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/forum/2010101868037/election-2018-secretary-of-state-candidate-alex-padilla\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Listen to the interview with Secretary of State candidate Alex Padilla\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003cul>\n\u003cli>\u003ca href=\"https://www.kqed.org/elections\" rel=\"noopener\" target=\"_blank\">KQED’s Complete Election Coverage\u003c/a>\u003c/li>\n\u003c/ul>\n\u003c/ul>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867498/election-2018-candidate-for-secretary-of-state-candidate-mark-meuser",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101854756",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867376": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867376",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867376",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1537808400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1537574550,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: State Treasurer Candidate Greg Conlon",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: State Treasurer Candidate Greg Conlon | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>We talk with \u003ca href=\"https://www.gregconlon.com/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Greg Conlon\u003c/a> who is running for California State Treasurer. Conlon, a Republican, has served on the California Transportation Commission and as president of the California Public Utilities Commission. A CPA, Conlon wants to be state’s top asset manager.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 45,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704429986,
"excerpt": "We talk with Greg Conlon who is running for California State Treasurer. Conlon, a Republican, has served on the California Transportation Commission and as president of the California Public Utilities Commission. A CPA, Conlon wants to be state's top asset manager. ",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "We talk with Greg Conlon who is running for California State Treasurer. Conlon, a Republican, has served on the California Transportation Commission and as president of the California Public Utilities Commission. A CPA, Conlon wants to be state's top asset manager. ",
"title": "Election 2018: State Treasurer Candidate Greg Conlon | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: State Treasurer Candidate Greg Conlon",
"datePublished": "2018-09-21T17:02:30-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:46:26-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-state-treasurer-candidate-greg-conlon",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/09/Forum20180924ba.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Greg Conlon",
"bio": "candidate for California state treasurer, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)"
}
],
"airdate": 1537808400,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 1422,
"path": "/forum/2010101867376/election-2018-state-treasurer-candidate-greg-conlon",
"audioDuration": 1445000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>We talk with \u003ca href=\"https://www.gregconlon.com/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Greg Conlon\u003c/a> who is running for California State Treasurer. Conlon, a Republican, has served on the California Transportation Commission and as president of the California Public Utilities Commission. A CPA, Conlon wants to be state’s top asset manager.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867376/election-2018-state-treasurer-candidate-greg-conlon",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101867378",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867263": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867263",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867263",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1537203600000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1536963794,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Proposition 5 Property Tax Break",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Proposition 5 Property Tax Break | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll take a look at Proposition 5, which would give a property tax break to homeowners age 55 and above who buy and move into more expensive homes. Proponents say the measure would free up housing stock by incentivizing seniors to sell their homes. But opponents cite a report from the Legislative Analyst’s Office that found local governments could miss out on as much as $1 billion in revenue a year. We discuss the pros and cons of prop 5. What questions do you have about the measure?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 101,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704430028,
"excerpt": "As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll take a look at Proposition 5, which would give a property tax break to homeowners age 55 and above who buy and move into more expensive homes. Proponents say the measure would free up housing stock by incentivizing seniors to sell their homes. But opponents cite a report from the Legislative Analyst’s Office that found local governments could miss out on as much as $1 billion in revenue a year. We discuss the pros and cons of prop 5. What questions do you have about the measure?\r\n",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll take a look at Proposition 5, which would give a property tax break to homeowners age 55 and above who buy and move into more expensive homes. Proponents say the measure would free up housing stock by incentivizing seniors to sell their homes. But opponents cite a report from the Legislative Analyst’s Office that found local governments could miss out on as much as $1 billion in revenue a year. We discuss the pros and cons of prop 5. What questions do you have about the measure?\r\n",
"title": "Election 2018: Proposition 5 Property Tax Break | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Proposition 5 Property Tax Break",
"datePublished": "2018-09-14T15:23:14-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:47:08-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-proposition-5-property-tax-break",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/09/Forum20180917b.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Graham Knaus",
"bio": "executive director, California State Association of Counties"
},
{
"name": "Scott Shafer",
"bio": "senior editor, KQED’s California Politics and Government desk\u003cbr />\r\n"
},
{
"name": "Steve White",
"bio": "president, California Association of Realtors"
}
],
"airdate": 1537203600,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3150,
"path": "/forum/2010101867263/election-2018-proposition-5-property-tax-break",
"audioDuration": 3181000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll take a look at Proposition 5, which would give a property tax break to homeowners age 55 and above who buy and move into more expensive homes. Proponents say the measure would free up housing stock by incentivizing seniors to sell their homes. But opponents cite a report from the Legislative Analyst’s Office that found local governments could miss out on as much as $1 billion in revenue a year. We discuss the pros and cons of prop 5. What questions do you have about the measure?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867263/election-2018-proposition-5-property-tax-break",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_168",
"forum_834"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101867265",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867242": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867242",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867242",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1536940800000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1536876509,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Meet the Candidates for California State Controller",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Meet the Candidates for California State Controller | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll hear from the candidates for California state controller: Betty Yee and Konstantinos Roditis. The state’s chief fiscal officer manages California’s $201 billion budget. What’s your question for the candidates?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 47,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704430038,
"excerpt": "As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we'll hear from the candidates for California state controller: Betty Yee and Konstantinos Roditis. The state's chief fiscal officer manages California's $201 billion budget. What's your question for the candidates?",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we'll hear from the candidates for California state controller: Betty Yee and Konstantinos Roditis. The state's chief fiscal officer manages California's $201 billion budget. What's your question for the candidates?",
"title": "Election 2018: Meet the Candidates for California State Controller | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Meet the Candidates for California State Controller",
"datePublished": "2018-09-13T15:08:29-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:47:18-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [
{
"userLogin": "scottshafer",
"firstName": "Scott",
"lastName": "Shafer",
"website": "",
"displayName": "Scott Shafer",
"linkedAccount": "",
"nickname": "",
"description": "",
"userEmail": "",
"ID": "2010101854226",
"type": "guest-author",
"userNicename": "scottshafer"
}
],
"slug": "election-2018-meet-the-candidates-for-california-state-controller",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/09/Forum20180914aa.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Betty Yee",
"bio": "controller, State of California, former chairwoman of the Board of Equalization"
},
{
"name": "Konstantinos Roditis",
"bio": "Anaheim businessman"
}
],
"airdate": 1536940800,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 1423,
"path": "/forum/2010101867242/election-2018-meet-the-candidates-for-california-state-controller",
"audioDuration": 1445000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>As part of our Election 2018 coverage, we’ll hear from the candidates for California state controller: Betty Yee and Konstantinos Roditis. The state’s chief fiscal officer manages California’s $201 billion budget. What’s your question for the candidates?\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867242/election-2018-meet-the-candidates-for-california-state-controller",
"authors": [
"2010101854226"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101854756",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101867144": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101867144",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101867144",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1536341400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1536278952,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Asian-American Voters Remain Untapped by Both Parties",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Asian-American Voters Remain Untapped by Both Parties | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>Despite being the fastest growing racial group in the United States and nearly 40 percent not being committed to a political party, Asian-American voters are often overlooked by both Republicans and Democrats. In California alone, the number of eligible Asian American voters is projected to increase 37 percent by 2040 and analysts are already watching to see if Asian Americans will sway key midterm races in Southern California. Forum examines the Asian-American vote and what it could mean for the future of California politics.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 88,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 3
},
"modified": 1704430083,
"excerpt": "Despite being the fastest growing racial group in the United States and nearly 40 percent not being committed to a political party, Asian American voters are often overlooked by both Republicans and Democrats. In California alone, the number of eligible Asian American voters is projected to increase 37 percent by 2040 and analysts are already watching to see if Asian Americans will sway key midterm races in Southern California. Forum examines the Asian American vote and what it could mean for the future of California politics. ",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "Despite being the fastest growing racial group in the United States and nearly 40 percent not being committed to a political party, Asian American voters are often overlooked by both Republicans and Democrats. In California alone, the number of eligible Asian American voters is projected to increase 37 percent by 2040 and analysts are already watching to see if Asian Americans will sway key midterm races in Southern California. Forum examines the Asian American vote and what it could mean for the future of California politics. ",
"title": "Election 2018: Asian-American Voters Remain Untapped by Both Parties | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Asian-American Voters Remain Untapped by Both Parties",
"datePublished": "2018-09-06T17:09:12-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:48:03-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [
{
"userLogin": "scottshafer",
"firstName": "Scott",
"lastName": "Shafer",
"website": "",
"displayName": "Scott Shafer",
"linkedAccount": "",
"nickname": "",
"description": "",
"userEmail": "",
"ID": "2010101854226",
"type": "guest-author",
"userNicename": "scottshafer"
}
],
"slug": "election-2018-asian-american-voters-remain-untapped-by-both-parties",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/09/Forum20180907bb.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "David Lee",
"bio": "executive director, Chinese American Voters Education Committee (CAVEC)"
},
{
"name": "Mindy Romero",
"bio": "director, The California Civic Engagement Project (CCEP)"
},
{
"name": "Jonathan Stein",
"bio": "staff attorney and program manager of the Voting Rights Program, Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus "
}
],
"airdate": 1536341400,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 1682,
"path": "/forum/2010101867144/election-2018-asian-american-voters-remain-untapped-by-both-parties",
"audioDuration": 1705000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>Despite being the fastest growing racial group in the United States and nearly 40 percent not being committed to a political party, Asian-American voters are often overlooked by both Republicans and Democrats. In California alone, the number of eligible Asian American voters is projected to increase 37 percent by 2040 and analysts are already watching to see if Asian Americans will sway key midterm races in Southern California. Forum examines the Asian-American vote and what it could mean for the future of California politics.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101867144/election-2018-asian-american-voters-remain-untapped-by-both-parties",
"authors": [
"2010101854226"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_22",
"forum_446"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101854756",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101866893": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101866893",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101866893",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1535126400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1535070168,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Election 2018: Bay Area Cities to Vote on Taxing Big Business",
"headTitle": "Election 2018: Bay Area Cities to Vote on Taxing Big Business | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>San Francisco, Mountain View and East Palo Alto have all placed measures on the November ballot that would tax big companies to fund new housing and infrastructure projects. Proponents of the taxes argue something must be done to address the region’s low housing stock, growing inequality and crumbling infrastructure. Opponents say companies will leave the Bay Area if the cost of doing business here keeps rising. We’ll hear about the measures that could pit cities against powerful tech companies.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Guests:\u003c/strong>\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Guy Marzorati,\u003c/strong> reporter, KQED’s California Politics and Government Desk\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Lenny Siegel,\u003c/strong> mayor, city of Mountain View\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Jim Wunderman,\u003c/strong> president and CEO, Bay Area Council\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>San Francisco Proposition C\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“This would really target companies that are bringing in over 50 million dollars. This is an increase in the gross receipts tax at about an average of a half percent. And smaller companies would pay less, bigger companies pay more. And then the city’s biggest companies would pay this through a payroll tax.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“The federal government gave [companies] a huge cut in the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. These companies now have a huge amount of cash on hand. At the same time we’ve seen the federal government not invest in housing at the urban level. And so the proponents of these measures and Proposition C in San Francisco have said it’s going to be up to these companies and the money that they have on hand to solve our local problems.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“We have a new mayor London Breed. She wasn’t involved in the creation of Prop C. Neither was any member of the Board of Supervisors. I think it would make a lot of sense to actually have our elected city leaders be at the forefront of setting policy, and if it involves taxes, a conversation with all of us about how to go at a problem we all want to solve.” – Jim Wunderman \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Mountain View Measure P\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“In Mountain View [Measure p] would be kind of a head tax on the number of employees that a company has. It’s on a sliding scale, depending on the size of the company.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“They look at the influx of business and tech companies as something that has really clogged traffic in the city, made it hard to get around. So while this tax taxing Mountain is not specifically targeted, this will be going towards the general fund, the idea, and what city leaders have promised, is that if it passes they’re going to spend this on transit projects.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>“In Mountain View traffic or the weakness of our transit infrastructure doesn’t just affect the residents it actually affects our employers. The biggest threat to our economy in Mountain View is not taxation, but the difficulty in getting people to work.” – Lenny Siegel\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“The tax proposal from a dollars perspective is actually very modest. So I don’t think on the numbers, that it’s going to be a huge influence on Google or anyone else to do anything differently. … The concern that I have is that as a city doing this, it’s like the camel’s nose under the tent. What happens to the neighboring city, what does Sunnyvale do, what does Santa Clara do, what does Palo Alto do? Maybe the next city won’t be modest in doing this.” – Jim Wunderman\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>East Palo Alto Proposition HH\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>In East Palo Alto we’re talking about a commercial office space parcel tax. So we’re actually talking about commercial development. – Tonya Mosley\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“Measure HH in East Palo Alto, more than any of these measures, shows the confidence that local officials are having in the economy. There is no anchor company in East Palo Alto like there is with Google in Mountain View, Twitter in San Francisco, Apple in Cupertino. They’re basically going ahead with this tax without having an anchor company there with the confidence that it’s not going to dissuade companies in the future from moving in.” – Guy Marzorati \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“I think it’s shortsighted. I understand the attraction is we get money in right away, we tag the real estate people who seem like they’re really wealthy and they could afford to do this. But I think when you analyze it, it’s all about competition. It’s all about comparative economics. And businesses have to really look and plan for the future: Where do we want to locate? Where do we want to grow? And I think there’s a lot of opportunity in East Palo Alto and this sends a very negative signal.” – Jim Wunderman\u003c/p>\n\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 835,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 18
},
"modified": 1704430175,
"excerpt": "San Francisco, Mountain View and East Palo Alto have all placed measures on the November ballot that would tax big companies to fund new housing and infrastructure projects. Proponents of the taxes argue something must be done to address the region's low housing stock, growing inequality and crumbling infrastructure. Opponents say companies will leave the Bay Area if the cost of doing business here keeps rising. We’ll hear about the measures that could pit cities against powerful tech companies. ",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": "San Francisco, Mountain View and East Palo Alto have all placed measures on the November ballot that would tax big companies to fund new housing and infrastructure projects. Proponents of the taxes argue something must be done to address the region's low housing stock, growing inequality and crumbling infrastructure. Opponents say companies will leave the Bay Area if the cost of doing business here keeps rising. We’ll hear about the measures that could pit cities against powerful tech companies. ",
"title": "Election 2018: Bay Area Cities to Vote on Taxing Big Business | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Election 2018: Bay Area Cities to Vote on Taxing Big Business",
"datePublished": "2018-08-23T17:22:48-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:49:35-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "election-2018-bay-area-cities-to-vote-on-taxing-big-business",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/08/Forum20180824a.mp3",
"airdate": 1535126400,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3138,
"path": "/forum/2010101866893/election-2018-bay-area-cities-to-vote-on-taxing-big-business",
"audioDuration": 3136000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>San Francisco, Mountain View and East Palo Alto have all placed measures on the November ballot that would tax big companies to fund new housing and infrastructure projects. Proponents of the taxes argue something must be done to address the region’s low housing stock, growing inequality and crumbling infrastructure. Opponents say companies will leave the Bay Area if the cost of doing business here keeps rising. We’ll hear about the measures that could pit cities against powerful tech companies.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Guests:\u003c/strong>\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Guy Marzorati,\u003c/strong> reporter, KQED’s California Politics and Government Desk\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Lenny Siegel,\u003c/strong> mayor, city of Mountain View\u003cbr>\n\u003cstrong>Jim Wunderman,\u003c/strong> president and CEO, Bay Area Council\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>San Francisco Proposition C\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“This would really target companies that are bringing in over 50 million dollars. This is an increase in the gross receipts tax at about an average of a half percent. And smaller companies would pay less, bigger companies pay more. And then the city’s biggest companies would pay this through a payroll tax.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“The federal government gave [companies] a huge cut in the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. These companies now have a huge amount of cash on hand. At the same time we’ve seen the federal government not invest in housing at the urban level. And so the proponents of these measures and Proposition C in San Francisco have said it’s going to be up to these companies and the money that they have on hand to solve our local problems.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“We have a new mayor London Breed. She wasn’t involved in the creation of Prop C. Neither was any member of the Board of Supervisors. I think it would make a lot of sense to actually have our elected city leaders be at the forefront of setting policy, and if it involves taxes, a conversation with all of us about how to go at a problem we all want to solve.” – Jim Wunderman \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Mountain View Measure P\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“In Mountain View [Measure p] would be kind of a head tax on the number of employees that a company has. It’s on a sliding scale, depending on the size of the company.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“They look at the influx of business and tech companies as something that has really clogged traffic in the city, made it hard to get around. So while this tax taxing Mountain is not specifically targeted, this will be going towards the general fund, the idea, and what city leaders have promised, is that if it passes they’re going to spend this on transit projects.” – Guy Marzorati\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>“In Mountain View traffic or the weakness of our transit infrastructure doesn’t just affect the residents it actually affects our employers. The biggest threat to our economy in Mountain View is not taxation, but the difficulty in getting people to work.” – Lenny Siegel\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“The tax proposal from a dollars perspective is actually very modest. So I don’t think on the numbers, that it’s going to be a huge influence on Google or anyone else to do anything differently. … The concern that I have is that as a city doing this, it’s like the camel’s nose under the tent. What happens to the neighboring city, what does Sunnyvale do, what does Santa Clara do, what does Palo Alto do? Maybe the next city won’t be modest in doing this.” – Jim Wunderman\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>East Palo Alto Proposition HH\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>In East Palo Alto we’re talking about a commercial office space parcel tax. So we’re actually talking about commercial development. – Tonya Mosley\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“Measure HH in East Palo Alto, more than any of these measures, shows the confidence that local officials are having in the economy. There is no anchor company in East Palo Alto like there is with Google in Mountain View, Twitter in San Francisco, Apple in Cupertino. They’re basically going ahead with this tax without having an anchor company there with the confidence that it’s not going to dissuade companies in the future from moving in.” – Guy Marzorati \u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>“I think it’s shortsighted. I understand the attraction is we get money in right away, we tag the real estate people who seem like they’re really wealthy and they could afford to do this. But I think when you analyze it, it’s all about competition. It’s all about comparative economics. And businesses have to really look and plan for the future: Where do we want to locate? Where do we want to grow? And I think there’s a lot of opportunity in East Palo Alto and this sends a very negative signal.” – Jim Wunderman\u003c/p>\n\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101866893/election-2018-bay-area-cities-to-vote-on-taxing-big-business",
"authors": [
"11373"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_131",
"forum_568",
"forum_349",
"forum_19"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101866890",
"label": "forum_3"
},
"forum_2010101866798": {
"type": "posts",
"id": "forum_2010101866798",
"meta": {
"index": "posts_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "2010101866798",
"score": null,
"sort": [
1534784400000
]
},
"parent": 0,
"labelTerm": {
"site": "forum",
"term": 3
},
"blocks": [],
"publishDate": 1534551932,
"format": "audio",
"title": "Engaging the Latino Vote in California",
"headTitle": "Engaging the Latino Vote in California | KQED",
"content": "\u003cp>Latinos comprise 34 percent of California’s adult population but just 18 percent of its likely voters, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. Experts say that language barriers, limited outreach by campaigns and misconceptions about eligibility contribute to a persistently low Latino voter turnout in the state. We’ll discuss the social and political impacts of low voting rates among Latinos and hear what’s being done to increase engagement.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Mentioned on Air:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003ca href=\"https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/the-next-populist-revolution-will-be-latino/565730/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">The Next Populist Revolution Will Be Latino\u003c/a> (The Atlantic)\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>[ad fullwidth]\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n",
"stats": {
"hasVideo": false,
"hasChartOrMap": false,
"hasAudio": false,
"hasPolis": false,
"wordCount": 89,
"hasGoogleForm": false,
"hasGallery": false,
"hasHearkenModule": false,
"iframeSrcs": [],
"paragraphCount": 5
},
"modified": 1704430215,
"excerpt": " Friday, August 17, 2018 4:16 PM\r\nLatinos comprise 34 percent of California's adult population but just 18 percent of its likely voters, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. Experts say that language barriers, limited outreach by campaigns and misconceptions about eligibility contribute to a persistently low Latino voter turnout in the state. We'll discuss the social and political impacts of low voting rates among Latinos and hear what's being done to increase engagement.",
"headData": {
"twImgId": "",
"twTitle": "",
"ogTitle": "",
"ogImgId": "",
"twDescription": "",
"description": " Friday, August 17, 2018 4:16 PM\r\nLatinos comprise 34 percent of California's adult population but just 18 percent of its likely voters, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. Experts say that language barriers, limited outreach by campaigns and misconceptions about eligibility contribute to a persistently low Latino voter turnout in the state. We'll discuss the social and political impacts of low voting rates among Latinos and hear what's being done to increase engagement.",
"title": "Engaging the Latino Vote in California | KQED",
"ogDescription": "",
"schema": {
"@context": "https://schema.org",
"@type": "Article",
"headline": "Engaging the Latino Vote in California",
"datePublished": "2018-08-17T17:25:32-07:00",
"dateModified": "2024-01-04T20:50:15-08:00",
"image": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png"
}
},
"guestAuthors": [],
"slug": "engaging-the-latino-vote-in-california",
"status": "publish",
"audioUrl": "https://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/forum/2018/08/Forum20180820b.mp3",
"forumGuests": [
{
"name": "Luis Alvarado",
"bio": "Republican public affairs consultant"
},
{
"name": "Lisa Garcia Bedolla",
"bio": "chancellor's professor of education and political science, U.C. Berkeley, author, \"Latino Politics\" and \"Mobilizing Inclusion: Transforming the Electorate Through Get-Out-the-Vote Campaigns\" \u003cbr />\r\n"
},
{
"name": "Mark Hugo Lopez",
"bio": "director of hispanic research, Pew Research Center"
},
{
"name": "Randy Villegas",
"bio": "UC Santa Cruz phd student working with Central Valley Freedom Summer Project"
}
],
"airdate": 1534784400,
"sticky": false,
"audioTrackLength": 3150,
"path": "/forum/2010101866798/engaging-the-latino-vote-in-california",
"audioDuration": 3147000,
"parsedContent": [
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003cp>Latinos comprise 34 percent of California’s adult population but just 18 percent of its likely voters, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. Experts say that language barriers, limited outreach by campaigns and misconceptions about eligibility contribute to a persistently low Latino voter turnout in the state. We’ll discuss the social and political impacts of low voting rates among Latinos and hear what’s being done to increase engagement.\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003cstrong>Mentioned on Air:\u003c/strong>\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003ca href=\"https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/the-next-populist-revolution-will-be-latino/565730/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">The Next Populist Revolution Will Be Latino\u003c/a> (The Atlantic)\u003c/p>\n\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003c/div>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
},
{
"type": "component",
"content": "",
"name": "ad",
"attributes": {
"named": {
"label": "fullwidth"
},
"numeric": [
"fullwidth"
]
}
},
{
"type": "contentString",
"content": "\u003cdiv class=\"post-body\">\u003cp>\u003c/p>\u003cp>\u003c/p>\n\u003c/div>\u003c/p>",
"attributes": {
"named": {},
"numeric": []
}
}
],
"link": "/forum/2010101866798/engaging-the-latino-vote-in-california",
"authors": [
"11247"
],
"programs": [
"forum_3"
],
"categories": [
"forum_1623"
],
"tags": [
"forum_568",
"forum_446"
],
"featImg": "forum_2010101866802",
"label": "forum_3"
}
},
"podcastsReducer": {
"isFetching": false,
"fetchFailed": false,
"hasFetched": false,
"podcasts": {}
},
"radioProgramsReducer": {
"isFetching": false,
"fetchFailed": false,
"hasFetched": false,
"radioPrograms": {}
},
"radioSearchSegmentsReducer": {},
"programsReducer": {
"all-things-considered": {
"id": "all-things-considered",
"title": "All Things Considered",
"info": "Every weekday, \u003cem>All Things Considered\u003c/em> hosts Robert Siegel, Audie Cornish, Ari Shapiro, and Kelly McEvers present the program's trademark mix of news, interviews, commentaries, reviews, and offbeat features. Michel Martin hosts on the weekends.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 1pm-2pm, 4:30pm-6:30pm\u003cbr />SAT-SUN 5pm-6pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/All-Things-Considered-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/all-things-considered/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/all-things-considered"
},
"american-suburb-podcast": {
"id": "american-suburb-podcast",
"title": "American Suburb: The Podcast",
"tagline": "The flip side of gentrification, told through one town",
"info": "Gentrification is changing cities across America, forcing people from neighborhoods they have long called home. Call them the displaced. Now those priced out of the Bay Area are looking for a better life in an unlikely place. American Suburb follows this migration to one California town along the Delta, 45 miles from San Francisco. But is this once sleepy suburb ready for them?",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/American-Suburb-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/news/series/american-suburb-podcast",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 19
},
"link": "/news/series/american-suburb-podcast/",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/RBrW",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?mt=2&id=1287748328",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/American-Suburb-p1086805/",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/series/american-suburb-podcast/feed/podcast",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vS1FJTkMzMDExODgxNjA5"
}
},
"baycurious": {
"id": "baycurious",
"title": "Bay Curious",
"tagline": "Exploring the Bay Area, one question at a time",
"info": "KQED’s new podcast, Bay Curious, gets to the bottom of the mysteries — both profound and peculiar — that give the Bay Area its unique identity. And we’ll do it with your help! You ask the questions. You decide what Bay Curious investigates. And you join us on the journey to find the answers.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Bay-Curious-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Bay Curious",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/news/series/baycurious",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 3
},
"link": "/podcasts/baycurious",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bay-curious/id1172473406",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/500557090/bay-curious",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/category/bay-curious-podcast/feed/podcast",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9a90d476-aa04-455d-9a4c-0871ed6216d4/bay-curious",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/bay-curious",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/6O76IdmhixfijmhTZLIJ8k"
}
},
"bbc-world-service": {
"id": "bbc-world-service",
"title": "BBC World Service",
"info": "The day's top stories from BBC News compiled twice daily in the week, once at weekends.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 9pm-10pm, TUE-FRI 1am-2am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/BBC-World-Service-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_world_service",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "BBC World Service"
},
"link": "/radio/program/bbc-world-service",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/global-news-podcast/id135067274?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/BBC-World-Service-p455581/",
"rss": "https://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/p02nq0gn.rss"
}
},
"californiareport": {
"id": "californiareport",
"title": "The California Report",
"tagline": "California, day by day",
"info": "KQED’s statewide radio news program providing daily coverage of issues, trends and public policy decisions.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-California-Report-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The California Report",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/californiareport",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 8
},
"link": "/californiareport",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kqeds-the-california-report/id79681292",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/26099305-72af-4542-9dde-ac1807fe36d5/kqed-s-the-california-report",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/432285393/the-california-report",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqedfm-kqeds-the-california-report-podcast-8838",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/tag/tcram/feed/podcast"
}
},
"californiareportmagazine": {
"id": "californiareportmagazine",
"title": "The California Report Magazine",
"tagline": "Your state, your stories",
"info": "Every week, The California Report Magazine takes you on a road trip for the ears: to visit the places and meet the people who make California unique. The in-depth storytelling podcast from the California Report.",
"airtime": "FRI 4:30pm-5pm, 6:30pm-7pm, 11pm-11:30pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-California-Report-Magazine-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The California Report Magazine",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/californiareportmagazine",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 10
},
"link": "/californiareportmagazine",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-california-report-magazine/id1314750545",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vS1FJTkM3NjkwNjk1OTAz",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/564733126/the-california-report-magazine",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/the-california-report-magazine",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/tag/tcrmag/feed/podcast"
}
},
"city-arts": {
"id": "city-arts",
"title": "City Arts & Lectures",
"info": "A one-hour radio program to hear celebrated writers, artists and thinkers address contemporary ideas and values, often discussing the creative process. Please note: tapes or transcripts are not available",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/05/cityartsandlecture-300x300.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.cityarts.net/",
"airtime": "SUN 1pm-2pm, TUE 10pm, WED 1am",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "City Arts & Lectures"
},
"link": "https://www.cityarts.net",
"subscribe": {
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/City-Arts-and-Lectures-p692/",
"rss": "https://www.cityarts.net/feed/"
}
},
"closealltabs": {
"id": "closealltabs",
"title": "Close All Tabs",
"tagline": "Your irreverent guide to the trends redefining our world",
"info": "Close All Tabs breaks down how digital culture shapes our world through thoughtful insights and irreverent humor.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/02/CAT_2_Tile-scaled.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Close All Tabs",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/closealltabs",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 1
},
"link": "/podcasts/closealltabs",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/close-all-tabs/id214663465",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/KQINC6993880386",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/92d9d4ac-67a3-4eed-b10a-fb45d45b1ef2/close-all-tabs",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/6LAJFHnGK1pYXYzv6SIol6?si=deb0cae19813417c"
}
},
"code-switch-life-kit": {
"id": "code-switch-life-kit",
"title": "Code Switch / Life Kit",
"info": "\u003cem>Code Switch\u003c/em>, which listeners will hear in the first part of the hour, has fearless and much-needed conversations about race. Hosted by journalists of color, the show tackles the subject of race head-on, exploring how it impacts every part of society — from politics and pop culture to history, sports and more.\u003cbr />\u003cbr />\u003cem>Life Kit\u003c/em>, which will be in the second part of the hour, guides you through spaces and feelings no one prepares you for — from finances to mental health, from workplace microaggressions to imposter syndrome, from relationships to parenting. The show features experts with real world experience and shares their knowledge. Because everyone needs a little help being human.\u003cbr />\u003cbr />\u003ca href=\"https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510312/codeswitch\">\u003cem>Code Switch\u003c/em> offical site and podcast\u003c/a>\u003cbr />\u003ca href=\"https://www.npr.org/lifekit\">\u003cem>Life Kit\u003c/em> offical site and podcast\u003c/a>\u003cbr />",
"airtime": "SUN 9pm-10pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Code-Switch-Life-Kit-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/code-switch-life-kit",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/1112190608?mt=2&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnByLm9yZy9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC5waHA_aWQ9NTEwMzEy",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/3bExJ9JQpkwNhoHvaIIuyV",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510312/podcast.xml"
}
},
"commonwealth-club": {
"id": "commonwealth-club",
"title": "Commonwealth Club of California Podcast",
"info": "The Commonwealth Club of California is the nation's oldest and largest public affairs forum. As a non-partisan forum, The Club brings to the public airwaves diverse viewpoints on important topics. The Club's weekly radio broadcast - the oldest in the U.S., dating back to 1924 - is carried across the nation on public radio stations and is now podcasting. Our website archive features audio of our recent programs, as well as selected speeches from our long and distinguished history. This podcast feed is usually updated twice a week and is always un-edited.",
"airtime": "THU 10pm, FRI 1am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Commonwealth-Club-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.commonwealthclub.org/podcasts",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "Commonwealth Club of California"
},
"link": "/radio/program/commonwealth-club",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/commonwealth-club-of-california-podcast/id976334034?mt=2",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jb21tb253ZWFsdGhjbHViLm9yZy9hdWRpby9wb2RjYXN0L3dlZWtseS54bWw",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Commonwealth-Club-of-California-p1060/"
}
},
"forum": {
"id": "forum",
"title": "Forum",
"tagline": "The conversation starts here",
"info": "KQED’s live call-in program discussing local, state, national and international issues, as well as in-depth interviews.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 9am-11am, 10pm-11pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Forum-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Forum with Mina Kim and Alexis Madrigal",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/forum",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 9
},
"link": "/forum",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kqeds-forum/id73329719",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vS1FJTkM5NTU3MzgxNjMz",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/432307980/forum",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqedfm-kqeds-forum-podcast",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/KQINC9557381633"
}
},
"freakonomics-radio": {
"id": "freakonomics-radio",
"title": "Freakonomics Radio",
"info": "Freakonomics Radio is a one-hour award-winning podcast and public-radio project hosted by Stephen Dubner, with co-author Steve Levitt as a regular guest. It is produced in partnership with WNYC.",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2018/05/freakonomicsRadio.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "http://freakonomics.com/",
"airtime": "SUN 1am-2am, SAT 3pm-4pm",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "WNYC"
},
"link": "/radio/program/freakonomics-radio",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/4s8b",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/freakonomics-radio/id354668519",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/WNYC-Podcasts/Freakonomics-Radio-p272293/",
"rss": "https://feeds.feedburner.com/freakonomicsradio"
}
},
"fresh-air": {
"id": "fresh-air",
"title": "Fresh Air",
"info": "Hosted by Terry Gross, \u003cem>Fresh Air from WHYY\u003c/em> is the Peabody Award-winning weekday magazine of contemporary arts and issues. One of public radio's most popular programs, Fresh Air features intimate conversations with today's biggest luminaries.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 7pm-8pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Fresh-Air-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/fresh-air",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/4s8b",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=214089682&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Fresh-Air-p17/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/381444908/podcast.xml"
}
},
"here-and-now": {
"id": "here-and-now",
"title": "Here & Now",
"info": "A live production of NPR and WBUR Boston, in collaboration with stations across the country, Here & Now reflects the fluid world of news as it's happening in the middle of the day, with timely, in-depth news, interviews and conversation. Hosted by Robin Young, Jeremy Hobson and Tonya Mosley.",
"airtime": "MON-THU 11am-12pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Here-And-Now-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/here-and-now",
"subsdcribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?mt=2&id=426698661",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Here--Now-p211/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510051/podcast.xml"
}
},
"hidden-brain": {
"id": "hidden-brain",
"title": "Hidden Brain",
"info": "Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships.",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/05/hiddenbrain.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain",
"airtime": "SUN 7pm-8pm",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "NPR"
},
"link": "/radio/program/hidden-brain",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hidden-brain/id1028908750?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/Science-Podcasts/Hidden-Brain-p787503/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510308/podcast.xml"
}
},
"how-i-built-this": {
"id": "how-i-built-this",
"title": "How I Built This with Guy Raz",
"info": "Guy Raz dives into the stories behind some of the world's best known companies. How I Built This weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists—and the movements they built.",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2018/05/howIBuiltThis.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this",
"airtime": "SUN 7:30pm-8pm",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/how-i-built-this",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/3zxy",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-built-this-with-guy-raz/id1150510297?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts--Culture-Podcasts/How-I-Built-This-p910896/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510313/podcast.xml"
}
},
"hyphenacion": {
"id": "hyphenacion",
"title": "Hyphenación",
"tagline": "Where conversation and cultura meet",
"info": "What kind of no sabo word is Hyphenación? For us, it’s about living within a hyphenation. Like being a third-gen Mexican-American from the Texas border now living that Bay Area Chicano life. Like Xorje! Each week we bring together a couple of hyphenated Latinos to talk all about personal life choices: family, careers, relationships, belonging … everything is on the table. ",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/03/Hyphenacion_FinalAssets_PodcastTile.png",
"imageAlt": "KQED Hyphenación",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/hyphenacion",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 15
},
"link": "/podcasts/hyphenacion",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hyphenaci%C3%B3n/id1191591838",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/2p3Fifq96nw9BPcmFdIq0o?si=39209f7b25774f38",
"youtube": "https://www.youtube.com/c/kqedarts",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/6c3dd23c-93fb-4aab-97ba-1725fa6315f1/hyphenaci%C3%B3n",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/KQINC2275451163"
}
},
"jerrybrown": {
"id": "jerrybrown",
"title": "The Political Mind of Jerry Brown",
"tagline": "Lessons from a lifetime in politics",
"info": "The Political Mind of Jerry Brown brings listeners the wisdom of the former Governor, Mayor, and presidential candidate. Scott Shafer interviewed Brown for more than 40 hours, covering the former governor's life and half-century in the political game and Brown has some lessons he'd like to share. ",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-Political-Mind-of-Jerry-Brown-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The Political Mind of Jerry Brown",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/jerrybrown",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 18
},
"link": "/podcasts/jerrybrown",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/790253322/the-political-mind-of-jerry-brown",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1492194549",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/series/jerrybrown/feed/podcast/",
"tuneIn": "http://tun.in/pjGcK",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/the-political-mind-of-jerry-brown",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/54C1dmuyFyKMFttY6X2j6r?si=K8SgRCoISNK6ZbjpXrX5-w",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/44420f75-3b0e-4301-ab3b-16da6b09e543/the-political-mind-of-jerry-brown"
}
},
"latino-usa": {
"id": "latino-usa",
"title": "Latino USA",
"airtime": "MON 1am-2am, SUN 6pm-7pm",
"info": "Latino USA, the radio journal of news and culture, is the only national, English-language radio program produced from a Latino perspective.",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/latinoUsa.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "http://latinousa.org/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/latino-usa",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/xtTd",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=79681317&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Latino-USA-p621/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510016/podcast.xml"
}
},
"marketplace": {
"id": "marketplace",
"title": "Marketplace",
"info": "Our flagship program, helmed by Kai Ryssdal, examines what the day in money delivered, through stories, conversations, newsworthy numbers and more. Updated Monday through Friday at about 3:30 p.m. PT.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 4pm-4:30pm, MON-WED 6:30pm-7pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Marketplace-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.marketplace.org/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "American Public Media"
},
"link": "/radio/program/marketplace",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=201853034&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/APM-Marketplace-p88/",
"rss": "https://feeds.publicradio.org/public_feeds/marketplace-pm/rss/rss"
}
},
"masters-of-scale": {
"id": "masters-of-scale",
"title": "Masters of Scale",
"info": "Masters of Scale is an original podcast in which LinkedIn co-founder and Greylock Partner Reid Hoffman sets out to describe and prove theories that explain how great entrepreneurs take their companies from zero to a gazillion in ingenious fashion.",
"airtime": "Every other Wednesday June 12 through October 16 at 8pm (repeats Thursdays at 2am)",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Masters-of-Scale-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://mastersofscale.com/",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "WaitWhat"
},
"link": "/radio/program/masters-of-scale",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "http://mastersofscale.app.link/",
"rss": "https://rss.art19.com/masters-of-scale"
}
},
"mindshift": {
"id": "mindshift",
"title": "MindShift",
"tagline": "A podcast about the future of learning and how we raise our kids",
"info": "The MindShift podcast explores the innovations in education that are shaping how kids learn. Hosts Ki Sung and Katrina Schwartz introduce listeners to educators, researchers, parents and students who are developing effective ways to improve how kids learn. We cover topics like how fed-up administrators are developing surprising tactics to deal with classroom disruptions; how listening to podcasts are helping kids develop reading skills; the consequences of overparenting; and why interdisciplinary learning can engage students on all ends of the traditional achievement spectrum. This podcast is part of the MindShift education site, a division of KQED News. KQED is an NPR/PBS member station based in San Francisco. You can also visit the MindShift website for episodes and supplemental blog posts or tweet us \u003ca href=\"https://twitter.com/MindShiftKQED\">@MindShiftKQED\u003c/a> or visit us at \u003ca href=\"/mindshift\">MindShift.KQED.org\u003c/a>",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Mindshift-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED MindShift: How We Will Learn",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/mindshift/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 12
},
"link": "/podcasts/mindshift",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mindshift-podcast/id1078765985",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vS1FJTkM1NzY0NjAwNDI5",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/464615685/mind-shift-podcast",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/stories-teachers-share",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/0MxSpNYZKNprFLCl7eEtyx"
}
},
"morning-edition": {
"id": "morning-edition",
"title": "Morning Edition",
"info": "\u003cem>Morning Edition\u003c/em> takes listeners around the country and the world with multi-faceted stories and commentaries every weekday. Hosts Steve Inskeep, David Greene and Rachel Martin bring you the latest breaking news and features to prepare you for the day.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 3am-9am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Morning-Edition-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/morning-edition"
},
"onourwatch": {
"id": "onourwatch",
"title": "On Our Watch",
"tagline": "Deeply-reported investigative journalism",
"info": "For decades, the process for how police police themselves has been inconsistent – if not opaque. In some states, like California, these proceedings were completely hidden. After a new police transparency law unsealed scores of internal affairs files, our reporters set out to examine these cases and the shadow world of police discipline. On Our Watch brings listeners into the rooms where officers are questioned and witnesses are interrogated to find out who this system is really protecting. Is it the officers, or the public they've sworn to serve?",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/On-Our-Watch-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "On Our Watch from NPR and KQED",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/onourwatch",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 11
},
"link": "/podcasts/onourwatch",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id1567098962",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5ucHIub3JnLzUxMDM2MC9wb2RjYXN0LnhtbD9zYz1nb29nbGVwb2RjYXN0cw",
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/onourwatch",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/0OLWoyizopu6tY1XiuX70x",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/On-Our-Watch-p1436229/",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/show/on-our-watch",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510360/podcast.xml"
}
},
"on-the-media": {
"id": "on-the-media",
"title": "On The Media",
"info": "Our weekly podcast explores how the media 'sausage' is made, casts an incisive eye on fluctuations in the marketplace of ideas, and examines threats to the freedom of information and expression in America and abroad. For one hour a week, the show tries to lift the veil from the process of \"making media,\" especially news media, because it's through that lens that we see the world and the world sees us",
"airtime": "SUN 2pm-3pm, MON 12am-1am",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/onTheMedia.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/otm",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "wnyc"
},
"link": "/radio/program/on-the-media",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/on-the-media/id73330715?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/On-the-Media-p69/",
"rss": "http://feeds.wnyc.org/onthemedia"
}
},
"pbs-newshour": {
"id": "pbs-newshour",
"title": "PBS NewsHour",
"info": "Analysis, background reports and updates from the PBS NewsHour putting today's news in context.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 3pm-4pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/PBS-News-Hour-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.pbs.org/newshour/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "pbs"
},
"link": "/radio/program/pbs-newshour",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pbs-newshour-full-show/id394432287?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/PBS-NewsHour---Full-Show-p425698/",
"rss": "https://www.pbs.org/newshour/feeds/rss/podcasts/show"
}
},
"perspectives": {
"id": "perspectives",
"title": "Perspectives",
"tagline": "KQED's series of daily listener commentaries since 1991",
"info": "KQED's series of daily listener commentaries since 1991.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/Perspectives_Tile_Final.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Perspectives",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/perspectives/",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 14
},
"link": "/perspectives",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/id73801135",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/432309616/perspectives",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/perspectives/category/perspectives/feed/",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93dzIua3FlZC5vcmcvcGVyc3BlY3RpdmVzL2NhdGVnb3J5L3BlcnNwZWN0aXZlcy9mZWVkLw"
}
},
"planet-money": {
"id": "planet-money",
"title": "Planet Money",
"info": "The economy explained. Imagine you could call up a friend and say, Meet me at the bar and tell me what's going on with the economy. Now imagine that's actually a fun evening.",
"airtime": "SUN 3pm-4pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/planetmoney.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/sections/money/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/planet-money",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/M4f5",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/planet-money/id290783428?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/Business--Economics-Podcasts/Planet-Money-p164680/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510289/podcast.xml"
}
},
"politicalbreakdown": {
"id": "politicalbreakdown",
"title": "Political Breakdown",
"tagline": "Politics from a personal perspective",
"info": "Political Breakdown is a new series that explores the political intersection of California and the nation. Each week hosts Scott Shafer and Marisa Lagos are joined with a new special guest to unpack politics -- with personality — and offer an insider’s glimpse at how politics happens.",
"airtime": "THU 6:30pm-7pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Political-Breakdown-2024-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Political Breakdown",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/politicalbreakdown",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 5
},
"link": "/podcasts/politicalbreakdown",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/political-breakdown/id1327641087",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/e0c2d153-ad36-4c8d-901d-f1da6a724824/political-breakdown",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/572155894/political-breakdown",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/political-breakdown",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/07RVyIjIdk2WDuVehvBMoN",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/tag/political-breakdown/feed/podcast"
}
},
"possible": {
"id": "possible",
"title": "Possible",
"info": "Possible is hosted by entrepreneur Reid Hoffman and writer Aria Finger. Together in Possible, Hoffman and Finger lead enlightening discussions about building a brighter collective future. The show features interviews with visionary guests like Trevor Noah, Sam Altman and Janette Sadik-Khan. Possible paints an optimistic portrait of the world we can create through science, policy, business, art and our shared humanity. It asks: What if everything goes right for once? How can we get there? Each episode also includes a short fiction story generated by advanced AI GPT-4, serving as a thought-provoking springboard to speculate how humanity could leverage technology for good.",
"airtime": "SUN 2pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Possible-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.possible.fm/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "Possible"
},
"link": "/radio/program/possible",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/possible/id1677184070",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/730YpdUSNlMyPQwNnyjp4k"
}
},
"pri-the-world": {
"id": "pri-the-world",
"title": "PRI's The World: Latest Edition",
"info": "Each weekday, host Marco Werman and his team of producers bring you the world's most interesting stories in an hour of radio that reminds us just how small our planet really is.",
"airtime": "MON-FRI 2pm-3pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-World-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.pri.org/programs/the-world",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "PRI"
},
"link": "/radio/program/pri-the-world",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pris-the-world-latest-edition/id278196007?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/News--Politics-Podcasts/PRIs-The-World-p24/",
"rss": "http://feeds.feedburner.com/pri/theworld"
}
},
"radiolab": {
"id": "radiolab",
"title": "Radiolab",
"info": "A two-time Peabody Award-winner, Radiolab is an investigation told through sounds and stories, and centered around one big idea. In the Radiolab world, information sounds like music and science and culture collide. Hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich, the show is designed for listeners who demand skepticism, but appreciate wonder. WNYC Studios is the producer of other leading podcasts including Freakonomics Radio, Death, Sex & Money, On the Media and many more.",
"airtime": "SUN 12am-1am, SAT 2pm-3pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/radiolab1400.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/radiolab/",
"meta": {
"site": "science",
"source": "WNYC"
},
"link": "/radio/program/radiolab",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/radiolab/id152249110?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/RadioLab-p68032/",
"rss": "https://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab"
}
},
"reveal": {
"id": "reveal",
"title": "Reveal",
"info": "Created by The Center for Investigative Reporting and PRX, Reveal is public radios first one-hour weekly radio show and podcast dedicated to investigative reporting. Credible, fact based and without a partisan agenda, Reveal combines the power and artistry of driveway moment storytelling with data-rich reporting on critically important issues. The result is stories that inform and inspire, arming our listeners with information to right injustices, hold the powerful accountable and improve lives.Reveal is hosted by Al Letson and showcases the award-winning work of CIR and newsrooms large and small across the nation. In a radio and podcast market crowded with choices, Reveal focuses on important and often surprising stories that illuminate the world for our listeners.",
"airtime": "SAT 4pm-5pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/reveal300px.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/reveal",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/reveal/id886009669",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Reveal-p679597/",
"rss": "http://feeds.revealradio.org/revealpodcast"
}
},
"rightnowish": {
"id": "rightnowish",
"title": "Rightnowish",
"tagline": "Art is where you find it",
"info": "Rightnowish digs into life in the Bay Area right now… ish. Journalist Pendarvis Harshaw takes us to galleries painted on the sides of liquor stores in West Oakland. We'll dance in warehouses in the Bayview, make smoothies with kids in South Berkeley, and listen to classical music in a 1984 Cutlass Supreme in Richmond. Every week, Pen talks to movers and shakers about how the Bay Area shapes what they create, and how they shape the place we call home.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Rightnowish-Podcast-Tile-500x500-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Rightnowish with Pendarvis Harshaw",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/rightnowish",
"meta": {
"site": "arts",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 16
},
"link": "/podcasts/rightnowish",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/721590300/rightnowish",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/programs/rightnowish/feed/podcast",
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rightnowish/id1482187648",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/rightnowish",
"google": "https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vS1FJTkMxMjU5MTY3NDc4",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/7kEJuafTzTVan7B78ttz1I"
}
},
"science-friday": {
"id": "science-friday",
"title": "Science Friday",
"info": "Science Friday is a weekly science talk show, broadcast live over public radio stations nationwide. Each week, the show focuses on science topics that are in the news and tries to bring an educated, balanced discussion to bear on the scientific issues at hand. Panels of expert guests join host Ira Flatow, a veteran science journalist, to discuss science and to take questions from listeners during the call-in portion of the program.",
"airtime": "FRI 11am-1pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Science-Friday-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/science-friday",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/science-friday",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=73329284&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Science-Friday-p394/",
"rss": "http://feeds.wnyc.org/science-friday"
}
},
"snap-judgment": {
"id": "snap-judgment",
"title": "Snap Judgment",
"tagline": "Real stories with killer beats",
"info": "The Snap Judgment radio show and podcast mixes real stories with killer beats to produce cinematic, dramatic radio. Snap's musical brand of storytelling dares listeners to see the world through the eyes of another. This is storytelling... with a BEAT!! Snap first aired on public radio stations nationwide in July 2010. Today, Snap Judgment airs on over 450 public radio stations and is brought to the airwaves by KQED & PRX.",
"airtime": "SAT 1pm-2pm, 9pm-10pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Snap-Judgment-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Snap Judgment",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://snapjudgment.org",
"meta": {
"site": "arts",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 4
},
"link": "https://snapjudgment.org",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/snap-judgment/id283657561",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/449018144/snap-judgment",
"stitcher": "https://www.pandora.com/podcast/snap-judgment/PC:241?source=stitcher-sunset",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/3Cct7ZWmxHNAtLgBTqjC5v",
"rss": "https://snap.feed.snapjudgment.org/"
}
},
"soldout": {
"id": "soldout",
"title": "SOLD OUT: Rethinking Housing in America",
"tagline": "A new future for housing",
"info": "Sold Out: Rethinking Housing in America",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Sold-Out-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Sold Out: Rethinking Housing in America",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/soldout",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 13
},
"link": "/podcasts/soldout",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/911586047/s-o-l-d-o-u-t-a-new-future-for-housing",
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/introducing-sold-out-rethinking-housing-in-america/id1531354937",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/soldout",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/38dTBSk2ISFoPiyYNoKn1X",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/sold-out-rethinking-housing-in-america",
"tunein": "https://tunein.com/radio/SOLD-OUT-Rethinking-Housing-in-America-p1365871/"
}
},
"spooked": {
"id": "spooked",
"title": "Spooked",
"tagline": "True-life supernatural stories",
"info": "",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/Spooked-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED Spooked",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://spookedpodcast.org/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 7
},
"link": "https://spookedpodcast.org/",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/spooked/id1279361017",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/549547848/snap-judgment-presents-spooked",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/76571Rfl3m7PLJQZKQIGCT",
"rss": "https://feeds.simplecast.com/TBotaapn"
}
},
"tech-nation": {
"id": "tech-nation",
"title": "Tech Nation Radio Podcast",
"info": "Tech Nation is a weekly public radio program, hosted by Dr. Moira Gunn. Founded in 1993, it has grown from a simple interview show to a multi-faceted production, featuring conversations with noted technology and science leaders, and a weekly science and technology-related commentary.",
"airtime": "FRI 10pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Tech-Nation-Radio-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "http://technation.podomatic.com/",
"meta": {
"site": "science",
"source": "Tech Nation Media"
},
"link": "/radio/program/tech-nation",
"subscribe": {
"rss": "https://technation.podomatic.com/rss2.xml"
}
},
"ted-radio-hour": {
"id": "ted-radio-hour",
"title": "TED Radio Hour",
"info": "The TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas, astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, and new ways to think and create.",
"airtime": "SUN 3pm-4pm, SAT 10pm-11pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/tedRadioHour.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/?showDate=2018-06-22",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/ted-radio-hour",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/8vsS",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=523121474&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/TED-Radio-Hour-p418021/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/510298/podcast.xml"
}
},
"thebay": {
"id": "thebay",
"title": "The Bay",
"tagline": "Local news to keep you rooted",
"info": "Host Devin Katayama walks you through the biggest story of the day with reporters and newsmakers.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-Bay-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The Bay",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/thebay",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 2
},
"link": "/podcasts/thebay",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bay/id1350043452",
"amazon": "https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/d800ea4c-7a2c-42f2-b861-edaf78a5db0b/the-bay",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/586725995/the-bay",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/the-bay",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/4BIKBKIujizLHlIlBNaAqQ",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/KQINC8259786327"
}
},
"thelatest": {
"id": "thelatest",
"title": "The Latest",
"tagline": "Trusted local news in real time",
"info": "",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/The-Latest-2025-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The Latest",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/thelatest",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 6
},
"link": "/thelatest",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-latest-from-kqed/id1197721799",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/1257949365/the-latest-from-k-q-e-d",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/5KIIXMgM9GTi5AepwOYvIZ?si=bd3053fec7244dba",
"rss": "https://feeds.megaphone.fm/KQINC9137121918"
}
},
"theleap": {
"id": "theleap",
"title": "The Leap",
"tagline": "What if you closed your eyes, and jumped?",
"info": "Stories about people making dramatic, risky changes, told by award-winning public radio reporter Judy Campbell.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-Leap-Podcast-Tile-703x703-1.jpg",
"imageAlt": "KQED The Leap",
"officialWebsiteLink": "/podcasts/theleap",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "kqed",
"order": 17
},
"link": "/podcasts/theleap",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-leap/id1046668171",
"npr": "https://www.npr.org/podcasts/447248267/the-leap",
"stitcher": "https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/kqed/the-leap",
"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/show/3sSlVHHzU0ytLwuGs1SD1U",
"rss": "https://ww2.kqed.org/news/programs/the-leap/feed/podcast"
}
},
"the-moth-radio-hour": {
"id": "the-moth-radio-hour",
"title": "The Moth Radio Hour",
"info": "Since its launch in 1997, The Moth has presented thousands of true stories, told live and without notes, to standing-room-only crowds worldwide. Moth storytellers stand alone, under a spotlight, with only a microphone and a roomful of strangers. The storyteller and the audience embark on a high-wire act of shared experience which is both terrifying and exhilarating. Since 2008, The Moth podcast has featured many of our favorite stories told live on Moth stages around the country. For information on all of our programs and live events, visit themoth.org.",
"airtime": "SAT 8pm-9pm and SUN 11am-12pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/theMoth.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://themoth.org/",
"meta": {
"site": "arts",
"source": "prx"
},
"link": "/radio/program/the-moth-radio-hour",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-moth-podcast/id275699983?mt=2",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/The-Moth-p273888/",
"rss": "http://feeds.themoth.org/themothpodcast"
}
},
"the-new-yorker-radio-hour": {
"id": "the-new-yorker-radio-hour",
"title": "The New Yorker Radio Hour",
"info": "The New Yorker Radio Hour is a weekly program presented by the magazine's editor, David Remnick, and produced by WNYC Studios and The New Yorker. Each episode features a diverse mix of interviews, profiles, storytelling, and an occasional burst of humor inspired by the magazine, and shaped by its writers, artists, and editors. This isn't a radio version of a magazine, but something all its own, reflecting the rich possibilities of audio storytelling and conversation. Theme music for the show was composed and performed by Merrill Garbus of tUnE-YArDs.",
"airtime": "SAT 10am-11am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-New-Yorker-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/tnyradiohour",
"meta": {
"site": "arts",
"source": "WNYC"
},
"link": "/radio/program/the-new-yorker-radio-hour",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1050430296",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/podcasts/WNYC-Podcasts/New-Yorker-Radio-Hour-p803804/",
"rss": "https://feeds.feedburner.com/newyorkerradiohour"
}
},
"the-sam-sanders-show": {
"id": "the-sam-sanders-show",
"title": "The Sam Sanders Show",
"info": "One of public radio's most dynamic voices, Sam Sanders helped launch The NPR Politics Podcast and hosted NPR's hit show It's Been A Minute. Now, the award-winning host returns with something brand new, The Sam Sanders Show. Every week, Sam Sanders and friends dig into the culture that shapes our lives: what's driving the biggest trends, how artists really think, and even the memes you can't stop scrolling past. Sam is beloved for his way of unpacking the world and bringing you up close to fresh currents and engaging conversations. The Sam Sanders Show is smart, funny and always a good time.",
"airtime": "FRI 12-1pm AND SAT 11am-12pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/11/The-Sam-Sanders-Show-Podcast-Tile-400x400-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.kcrw.com/shows/the-sam-sanders-show/latest",
"meta": {
"site": "arts",
"source": "KCRW"
},
"link": "https://www.kcrw.com/shows/the-sam-sanders-show/latest",
"subscribe": {
"rss": "https://feed.cdnstream1.com/zjb/feed/download/ac/28/59/ac28594c-e1d0-4231-8728-61865cdc80e8.xml"
}
},
"the-splendid-table": {
"id": "the-splendid-table",
"title": "The Splendid Table",
"info": "\u003cem>The Splendid Table\u003c/em> hosts our nation's conversations about cooking, sustainability and food culture.",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/The-Splendid-Table-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.splendidtable.org/",
"airtime": "SUN 10-11 pm",
"meta": {
"site": "radio",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/the-splendid-table"
},
"this-american-life": {
"id": "this-american-life",
"title": "This American Life",
"info": "This American Life is a weekly public radio show, heard by 2.2 million people on more than 500 stations. Another 2.5 million people download the weekly podcast. It is hosted by Ira Glass, produced in collaboration with Chicago Public Media, delivered to stations by PRX The Public Radio Exchange, and has won all of the major broadcasting awards.",
"airtime": "SAT 12pm-1pm, 7pm-8pm",
"imageSrc": "https://ww2.kqed.org/radio/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/04/thisAmericanLife.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.thisamericanlife.org/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "wbez"
},
"link": "/radio/program/this-american-life",
"subscribe": {
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=201671138&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"rss": "https://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/rss.xml"
}
},
"tinydeskradio": {
"id": "tinydeskradio",
"title": "Tiny Desk Radio",
"info": "We're bringing the best of Tiny Desk to the airwaves, only on public radio.",
"airtime": "SUN 8pm and SAT 9pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/04/300x300-For-Member-Station-Logo-Tiny-Desk-Radio-@2x.png",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/series/g-s1-52030/tiny-desk-radio",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/tinydeskradio",
"subscribe": {
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/g-s1-52030/rss.xml"
}
},
"wait-wait-dont-tell-me": {
"id": "wait-wait-dont-tell-me",
"title": "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!",
"info": "Peter Sagal and Bill Kurtis host the weekly NPR News quiz show alongside some of the best and brightest news and entertainment personalities.",
"airtime": "SUN 10am-11am, SAT 11am-12pm, SAT 6pm-7pm",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Wait-Wait-Podcast-Tile-300x300-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/wait-wait-dont-tell-me",
"subscribe": {
"npr": "https://rpb3r.app.goo.gl/Xogv",
"apple": "https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&mt=2&id=121493804&at=11l79Y&ct=nprdirectory",
"tuneIn": "https://tunein.com/radio/Wait-Wait-Dont-Tell-Me-p46/",
"rss": "https://feeds.npr.org/344098539/podcast.xml"
}
},
"weekend-edition-saturday": {
"id": "weekend-edition-saturday",
"title": "Weekend Edition Saturday",
"info": "Weekend Edition Saturday wraps up the week's news and offers a mix of analysis and features on a wide range of topics, including arts, sports, entertainment, and human interest stories. The two-hour program is hosted by NPR's Peabody Award-winning Scott Simon.",
"airtime": "SAT 5am-10am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Weekend-Edition-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/weekend-edition-saturday/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/weekend-edition-saturday"
},
"weekend-edition-sunday": {
"id": "weekend-edition-sunday",
"title": "Weekend Edition Sunday",
"info": "Weekend Edition Sunday features interviews with newsmakers, artists, scientists, politicians, musicians, writers, theologians and historians. The program has covered news events from Nelson Mandela's 1990 release from a South African prison to the capture of Saddam Hussein.",
"airtime": "SUN 5am-10am",
"imageSrc": "https://cdn.kqed.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Weekend-Edition-Podcast-Tile-360x360-1.jpg",
"officialWebsiteLink": "https://www.npr.org/programs/weekend-edition-sunday/",
"meta": {
"site": "news",
"source": "npr"
},
"link": "/radio/program/weekend-edition-sunday"
}
},
"racesReducer": {},
"racesGenElectionReducer": {},
"racesGenElection2026Reducer": {},
"racesGenElection2026PresidentialReducer": {},
"radioSchedulesReducer": {},
"listsReducer": {
"posts/forum?tag=election-2018": {
"isFetching": false,
"latestQuery": {
"from": 24,
"size": 12
},
"vitalsOnly": false,
"totalRequested": 12,
"isLoading": false,
"isLoadingMore": true,
"total": {
"value": 49,
"relation": "eq"
},
"items": [
"forum_2010101867627",
"forum_2010101867631",
"forum_2010101867560",
"forum_2010101867539",
"forum_2010101867493",
"forum_2010101867498",
"forum_2010101867376",
"forum_2010101867263",
"forum_2010101867242",
"forum_2010101867144",
"forum_2010101866893",
"forum_2010101866798"
],
"complete": true
}
},
"recallGuideReducer": {
"intros": {},
"policy": {},
"candidates": {}
},
"savedArticleReducer": {
"articles": [],
"status": {}
},
"newslettersReducer": {
"isFetching": false,
"fetchFailed": false,
"hasFetched": false,
"newsletters": {},
"isSubscribing": false,
"isUnsubscribing": false,
"subscribedNewsletters": {}
},
"termsReducer": {
"about": {
"name": "About",
"type": "terms",
"id": "about",
"slug": "about",
"link": "/about",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"arts": {
"name": "Arts & Culture",
"grouping": [
"arts",
"pop",
"trulyca"
],
"description": "KQED Arts provides daily in-depth coverage of the Bay Area's music, art, film, performing arts, literature and arts news, as well as cultural commentary and criticism.",
"type": "terms",
"id": "arts",
"slug": "arts",
"link": "/arts",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"artschool": {
"name": "Art School",
"parent": "arts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "artschool",
"slug": "artschool",
"link": "/artschool",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"bayareabites": {
"name": "KQED food",
"grouping": [
"food",
"bayareabites",
"checkplease"
],
"parent": "food",
"type": "terms",
"id": "bayareabites",
"slug": "bayareabites",
"link": "/food",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"bayareahiphop": {
"name": "Bay Area Hiphop",
"type": "terms",
"id": "bayareahiphop",
"slug": "bayareahiphop",
"link": "/bayareahiphop",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"campaign21": {
"name": "Campaign 21",
"type": "terms",
"id": "campaign21",
"slug": "campaign21",
"link": "/campaign21",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"careers": {
"name": "Careers",
"type": "terms",
"id": "careers",
"slug": "careers",
"link": "/careers",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"checkplease": {
"name": "KQED food",
"grouping": [
"food",
"bayareabites",
"checkplease"
],
"parent": "food",
"type": "terms",
"id": "checkplease",
"slug": "checkplease",
"link": "/food",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"education": {
"name": "Education",
"grouping": [
"education"
],
"type": "terms",
"id": "education",
"slug": "education",
"link": "/education",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"elections": {
"name": "Elections",
"type": "terms",
"id": "elections",
"slug": "elections",
"link": "/elections",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"events": {
"name": "Events",
"type": "terms",
"id": "events",
"slug": "events",
"link": "/events",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"event": {
"name": "Event",
"alias": "events",
"type": "terms",
"id": "event",
"slug": "event",
"link": "/event",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"filmschoolshorts": {
"name": "Film School Shorts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "filmschoolshorts",
"slug": "filmschoolshorts",
"link": "/filmschoolshorts",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"food": {
"name": "KQED food",
"grouping": [
"food",
"bayareabites",
"checkplease"
],
"type": "terms",
"id": "food",
"slug": "food",
"link": "/food",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"forum": {
"name": "Forum",
"relatedContentQuery": "posts/forum?",
"parent": "news",
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum",
"slug": "forum",
"link": "/forum",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"futureofyou": {
"name": "Future of You",
"grouping": [
"science",
"futureofyou"
],
"parent": "science",
"type": "terms",
"id": "futureofyou",
"slug": "futureofyou",
"link": "/futureofyou",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"jpepinheart": {
"name": "KQED food",
"relatedContentQuery": "posts/food,bayareabites,checkplease",
"parent": "food",
"type": "terms",
"id": "jpepinheart",
"slug": "jpepinheart",
"link": "/food",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"liveblog": {
"name": "Live Blog",
"type": "terms",
"id": "liveblog",
"slug": "liveblog",
"link": "/liveblog",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"livetv": {
"name": "Live TV",
"parent": "tv",
"type": "terms",
"id": "livetv",
"slug": "livetv",
"link": "/livetv",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"lowdown": {
"name": "The Lowdown",
"relatedContentQuery": "posts/lowdown?",
"parent": "news",
"type": "terms",
"id": "lowdown",
"slug": "lowdown",
"link": "/lowdown",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"mindshift": {
"name": "Mindshift",
"parent": "news",
"description": "MindShift explores the future of education by highlighting the innovative – and sometimes counterintuitive – ways educators and parents are helping all children succeed.",
"type": "terms",
"id": "mindshift",
"slug": "mindshift",
"link": "/mindshift",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"news": {
"name": "News",
"grouping": [
"news",
"forum"
],
"type": "terms",
"id": "news",
"slug": "news",
"link": "/news",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"newsletters": {
"name": "newsletters",
"type": "terms",
"id": "newsletters",
"slug": "newsletters",
"link": "/newsletters",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"perspectives": {
"name": "Perspectives",
"parent": "radio",
"type": "terms",
"id": "perspectives",
"slug": "perspectives",
"link": "/perspectives",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"podcasts": {
"name": "Podcasts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "podcasts",
"slug": "podcasts",
"link": "/podcasts",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"pop": {
"name": "Pop",
"parent": "arts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "pop",
"slug": "pop",
"link": "/pop",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"pressroom": {
"name": "Pressroom",
"type": "terms",
"id": "pressroom",
"slug": "pressroom",
"link": "/pressroom",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"quest": {
"name": "Quest",
"parent": "science",
"type": "terms",
"id": "quest",
"slug": "quest",
"link": "/quest",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"radio": {
"name": "Radio",
"grouping": [
"forum",
"perspectives"
],
"description": "Listen to KQED Public Radio – home of Forum and The California Report – on 88.5 FM in San Francisco, 89.3 FM in Sacramento, 88.3 FM in Santa Rosa and 88.1 FM in Martinez.",
"type": "terms",
"id": "radio",
"slug": "radio",
"link": "/radio",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"root": {
"name": "KQED",
"image": "https://ww2.kqed.org/app/uploads/2020/02/KQED-OG-Image@1x.png",
"imageWidth": 1200,
"imageHeight": 630,
"headData": {
"title": "KQED | News, Radio, Podcasts, TV | Public Media for Northern California",
"description": "KQED provides public radio, television, and independent reporting on issues that matter to the Bay Area. We’re the NPR and PBS member station for Northern California."
},
"type": "terms",
"id": "root",
"slug": "root",
"link": "/root",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"science": {
"name": "Science",
"grouping": [
"science",
"futureofyou"
],
"description": "KQED Science brings you award-winning science and environment coverage from the Bay Area and beyond.",
"type": "terms",
"id": "science",
"slug": "science",
"link": "/science",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"stateofhealth": {
"name": "State of Health",
"parent": "science",
"type": "terms",
"id": "stateofhealth",
"slug": "stateofhealth",
"link": "/stateofhealth",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"support": {
"name": "Support",
"type": "terms",
"id": "support",
"slug": "support",
"link": "/support",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"thedolist": {
"name": "The Do List",
"parent": "arts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "thedolist",
"slug": "thedolist",
"link": "/thedolist",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"trulyca": {
"name": "Truly CA",
"grouping": [
"arts",
"pop",
"trulyca"
],
"parent": "arts",
"type": "terms",
"id": "trulyca",
"slug": "trulyca",
"link": "/trulyca",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"tv": {
"name": "TV",
"type": "terms",
"id": "tv",
"slug": "tv",
"link": "/tv",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"voterguide": {
"name": "Voter Guide",
"parent": "elections",
"alias": "elections",
"type": "terms",
"id": "voterguide",
"slug": "voterguide",
"link": "/voterguide",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"guiaelectoral": {
"name": "Guia Electoral",
"parent": "elections",
"alias": "elections",
"type": "terms",
"id": "guiaelectoral",
"slug": "guiaelectoral",
"link": "/guiaelectoral",
"taxonomy": "site"
},
"forum_tag_election-2018": {
"isLoading": true
},
"forum_568": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_568",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "568",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Election 2018",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Election 2018 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 568,
"slug": "election-2018",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/election-2018"
},
"forum_3": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_3",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "3",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"name": "Forum",
"slug": "forum",
"taxonomy": "program",
"description": "\u003cem>Forum\u003c/em> finds the most interesting stories about where we live and who we are, and charts where our region and world are headed. Hosts Mina Kim and Alexis Madrigal invite communities in the Bay Area and California to engage in meaningful conversation in a two-hour live show that informs and challenges listeners with big ideas and different viewpoints.\r\n\r\nAt 9 a.m., Alexis gives the mic to the Bay Area, from San Rafael to San Jose, and at 10 a.m. with Mina, the perspective widens to all of California.Want to call/submit your comments during our live \u003cem>Forum\u003c/em> program Mon-Fri, 9am-11am? We'd love to hear from you! Please dial 866.SF.FORUM or \u003cstrong>(866) 733-6786\u003c/strong>, email \u003ca href=\"mailto:forum@kqed.org\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">forum@kqed.org\u003c/a>, \u003ca href=\"https://twitter.com/search?q=%40kqedforum\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">tweet\u003c/a>, or post on \u003ca href=\"https://www.facebook.com/KQEDForum/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Facebook\u003c/a>.",
"featImg": null,
"headData": {
"title": "Forum - Forum",
"description": "Forum finds the most interesting stories about where we live and who we are, and charts where our region and world are headed. Hosts Mina Kim and Alexis Madrigal invite communities in the Bay Area and California to engage in meaningful conversation in a two-hour live show that informs and challenges listeners with big ideas and different viewpoints. At 9 a.m., Alexis gives the mic to the Bay Area, from San Rafael to San Jose, and at 10 a.m. with Mina, the perspective widens to all of California.Want to call/submit your comments during our live Forum program Mon-Fri, 9am-11am? We'd love to hear from you! Please dial 866.SF.FORUM or (866) 733-6786, email forum@kqed.org, tweet, or post on Facebook.",
"ogTitle": null,
"ogDescription": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"twDescription": null,
"twImgId": null
},
"ttid": 3,
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/program/forum"
},
"forum_1623": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_1623",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "1623",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Podcast",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "category",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Podcast Archives - KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 1623,
"slug": "podcast",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/category/podcast"
},
"forum_17": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_17",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "17",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "California News",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "California News Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 17,
"slug": "california-news",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/california-news"
},
"forum_755": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_755",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "755",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "California politics",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "California politics Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 755,
"slug": "california-politics",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/california-politics"
},
"forum_841": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_841",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "841",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "governers debate",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "governers debate Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 841,
"slug": "governers-debate",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/governers-debate"
},
"forum_734": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_734",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "734",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Governor 2018",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Governor 2018 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 734,
"slug": "governor-2018",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/governor-2018"
},
"forum_302": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_302",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "302",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Politics and Government",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Politics and Government Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 302,
"slug": "politics-and-government",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/politics-and-government"
},
"forum_825": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_825",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "825",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "fourth congressional district",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "fourth congressional district Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 825,
"slug": "fourth-congressional-district",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/fourth-congressional-district"
},
"forum_830": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_830",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "830",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "House 2018",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "House 2018 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 830,
"slug": "house-2018",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/house-2018"
},
"forum_827": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_827",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "827",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Jessica Morse",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Jessica Morse Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 827,
"slug": "jessica-morse",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/jessica-morse"
},
"forum_826": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_826",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "826",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Tom McClintock",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Tom McClintock Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 826,
"slug": "tom-mcclintock",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/tom-mcclintock"
},
"forum_819": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_819",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "819",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Insurance Commissioner",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Insurance Commissioner Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 819,
"slug": "insurance-commissioner",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/insurance-commissioner"
},
"forum_818": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_818",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "818",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "gas tax",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "gas tax Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 818,
"slug": "gas-tax",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/gas-tax"
},
"forum_817": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_817",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "817",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Proposition 6",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Proposition 6 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 817,
"slug": "proposition-6",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/proposition-6"
},
"forum_833": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_833",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "833",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Proposition 3",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Proposition 3 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 833,
"slug": "proposition-3",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/proposition-3"
},
"forum_500": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_500",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "500",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "water",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "water Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 500,
"slug": "water",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/water"
},
"forum_168": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_168",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "168",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "housing",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "housing Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 168,
"slug": "housing",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/housing"
},
"forum_834": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_834",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "834",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Proposition 5",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Proposition 5 Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 834,
"slug": "proposition-5",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/proposition-5"
},
"forum_22": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_22",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "22",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Politics",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Politics Archives - KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 22,
"slug": "politics",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/politics"
},
"forum_446": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_446",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "446",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "race",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "race Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 446,
"slug": "race",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/race"
},
"forum_131": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_131",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "131",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Economy",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Economy Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 131,
"slug": "economy",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/economy"
},
"forum_349": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_349",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "349",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "homelesness",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "homelesness Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 349,
"slug": "homelesness",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/homelesness"
},
"forum_19": {
"type": "terms",
"id": "forum_19",
"meta": {
"index": "terms_1716263798",
"site": "forum",
"id": "19",
"found": true
},
"relationships": {},
"featImg": null,
"name": "Tech",
"description": null,
"taxonomy": "tag",
"headData": {
"twImgId": null,
"twTitle": null,
"ogTitle": null,
"ogImgId": null,
"twDescription": null,
"description": null,
"title": "Tech Archives | KQED Forum",
"ogDescription": null
},
"ttid": 19,
"slug": "tech",
"isLoading": false,
"link": "/forum/tag/tech"
}
},
"userPermissionsReducer": {
"wpLoggedIn": false
},
"eventsReducer": {},
"fssReducer": {},
"tvDailyScheduleReducer": {},
"tvWeeklyScheduleReducer": {},
"tvPrimetimeScheduleReducer": {},
"tvMonthlyScheduleReducer": {},
"userAccountReducer": {
"user": {
"email": null,
"emailStatus": "EMAIL_UNVALIDATED",
"loggedStatus": "LOGGED_OUT",
"loggingChecked": false,
"articles": [],
"firstName": null,
"lastName": null,
"phoneNumber": null,
"fetchingMembership": false,
"membershipError": false,
"memberships": [
{
"id": null,
"startDate": null,
"firstName": null,
"lastName": null,
"familyNumber": null,
"memberNumber": null,
"memberSince": null,
"expirationDate": null,
"pfsEligible": false,
"isSustaining": false,
"membershipLevel": "Prospect",
"membershipStatus": "Non Member",
"lastGiftDate": null,
"renewalDate": null,
"lastDonationAmount": null
}
]
},
"authModal": {
"isOpen": false,
"view": "LANDING_VIEW"
},
"error": null
},
"youthMediaReducer": {},
"checkPleaseReducer": {
"filterData": {
"region": {
"key": "Restaurant Region",
"filters": [
"Any Region"
]
},
"cuisine": {
"key": "Restaurant Cuisine",
"filters": [
"Any Cuisine"
]
}
},
"restaurantDataById": {},
"restaurantIdsSorted": [],
"error": null
},
"userAgentReducer": {
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)",
"isBot": true
},
"requestOutcomesReducer": {
"notFound": []
}
}