- From the Chron's Dot.Commentary: James Temple on the copious amount of swag that tech journalists are offered from companies they cover
- Oakland Local asks "Can Oakland's City Council lead?
- From the Santa Rosa Press Democrat's Sidebar blog: Computer error keeps Santa Rosa man in jail for New Year’s holiday
- From USA Today: Ocean environmentalists think they may have solved the mystery of why 'dying and disoriented seabirds rammed themselves into homes across California's Monterey Bay in the summer of 1961.' The event influenced Alfred Hitchcock's film The Birds.
- If you haven't seen the aerial maps of San Francisco circa 1938 yet, check out the David Rumsey Map Collection.