Apple founder Steve Jobs died at the age of 56 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.
Apple's Board of Directors released a statement, from Business Wire: We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today. Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts. Read more.
"I'm saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was a true visionary who brought out the best in others. His legacy will live on, not only in technology and business but also in the way the world communicates.
"My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Laurene, his family, friends and colleagues during this difficult time."
More on Steve Jobs:
- Obituary from CNET: Apple co-founder and Chairman Steve Jobs died today, Apple said. He was 56.
- Mercury News: Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs died today, the company said in a statement. "We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today,'' the company said in its statement, released shortly after 4:30 p.m. Read more.
- Video of Jobs delivering commencement speech to Stanford University graduates in 2005. In it he talks about getting fired from Apple in 1985, life & death. Text of Steve Jobs' commencement speech.
- Tim Cook's email to Apple employees, NBC Bay Area.
- Live-blogging of responses to Jobs' death, NPR's The Two-Way
- Steve Jobs' best quotes, The Wall Street Journal
- Fans to pay tribute to Jobs on October 14, not affiliated with Apple
- Mark Zuckerburg's Facebook Status: "Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build change the world. I will miss you."
- Apple employees react to death, The Daily Beast on Storify.com
Please share your thoughts, stories or memories in our comment section below.