- From The Informant: Some really disturbing numbers related to the prison population of California and the U.S. Example: 1 in 28 American children currently has a parent behind bars; for black children it’s 1 in 9.
- A tip for politico campaigns that I couldn't agree with more, from Beyond Chron's Randy Shaw:
...do not call (Bay Area residents) this Wednesday or Thursday nights without risking a major backlash against your candidate or cause. These are the first two games of the Giants-Rangers World Series, and with Bay Area residents entranced by the most suspenseful dramatic series since the end of The Wire, this is not the time to interrupt their focus with personal contacts or even worse, the dreaded robo-call.
I'll say. And let me add, the campaign phone exhortations are out of control, in general. Yesterday I ran into Rafael Mandelman, out campaigning for District 8 supervisor, and asked him to please inform his get-out-the-vote operation to stop calling me every other day. He apologized profusely and said the problem is that different organizations have different phone lists, and they're not coordinating with one another. Sounds legit, and a likely problem with many campaigns, but I still may have to file a restraining order...
- Oakland North has a nice audio slide show up of the annual Fruitvale Dia de Los Muertos Festival.
- Oakland Local and Make Oakland Better Now sent an online questionnaire to all of the city's mayoral candidates, then actually analyzed the answers, most of which they found wanting.
- Great post from Samantha Bryson on Mission Local describing her experience riding San Francisco's 14 Mission bus from midnight to 6:30 a.m.
Blog Beat: Disturbing Prison Stats, Tip for Politico Campaigns During Series, All Night 14 Mission Ride
Sign up for our newsletter.