Concord High School is on alert today after a threatening fax was sent to the school, according to Mount Diablo School District officials.
Officials sent out an alert to parents by telephone Thursday notifying them that a threat had been made against the school, located at 4200 Concord Blvd., an official in the superintendent's office said.
Concord police were made aware of the threat, along with neighboring law enforcement agencies, the official said.
A staff member at the school told KQED's Mina Kim at 11:45 a.m. that police are present at the school. She said attendance is way down and that the school's gate is closed but not locked.
From the Contra Costa Times:
The fax threatened that people would be shot at 10 a.m. today...At nearby Westwood Elementary and El Dorado Middle schools, where police were also keeping a close eye, attendance was also down, Lawrence said.
The fax was the third in a string of threats against county schools that started last week, when a vague threatening email was sent to Alhambra High in Martinez...Police determined that threat was a hoax.
The same day, a fifth-grader at Buena Vista Elementary School in Walnut Creek received a racist death threat. Walnut Creek school officials said there was no credible danger to the student and that a police investigation is ongoing.
Alhambra High got another scare Thursday when a teacher found an empty handgun case on campus, prompting a lockdown while police swept the campus.