Worried about getting home safely from New Year's Eve festivities this year? Here are some (mostly) free ways to get around that don't involve driving yourself:
- AAA Holiday Safe Ride Program: AAA offers a free tow for up to 10 miles to both members and nonmembers. AAA's website has more details.
- BART: There will be regular service until 8 p.m. and special service from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. During that time, trains will run every 20 minutes, and some will skip stops in downtown San Francisco to avoid platform overcrowding from the midnight fireworks show. Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond line trains won't stop at Embarcadero. Dublin/Pleasanton and South Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at Montgomery, and after the fireworks, they also won't stop at the West Oakland station. Check the BART announcement and its timetables for full details. BART will not be free, but the 2018 fare increases won't go into effect until 8 a.m. on New Year's Day.
- Muni: Muni is offering free rides again this year from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Remember not to tag on with a Clipper card or Munimobile ticket, unless you want to get charged. Muni has also added extra service on Muni Metro and buses. More route information is available on SFMTA's website.
- AC Transit: All AC Transit rides will be free from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. You can see their full schedule and route maps here.
- Sam Trans: You can ride Sam Trans for free from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. On New Year's Day, Sam Trans will run on its regular Sunday schedule.
- Caltrain: Rides on Caltrain are free from -- you guessed it -- 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Northbound trains headed to San Francisco will have extra capacity. After the fireworks show, Caltrain will run extra southbound trains. The frequency of those trains will depend on ridership. The final train will depart from San Francisco at 2 a.m. Caltrain will run its regular Sunday schedule on New Year's Day.
- VTA: VTA is offering free rides and extended service from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. You can find specific route information on VTA's website.
- Capitol Corridor: Connecting bus service to Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf and Financial District/Hyatt won't be available from 7 p.m. until midnight. The buses will stop at the Transbay Terminal instead. There's more information on the Capitol Corridor website.