A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.
U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress.
The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order targeting so-called sanctuary cities. The Trump administration has appealed that decision to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
"The District Court exceeded its authority today when it barred the President from instructing his cabinet members to enforce existing law," said Department of Justice spokesman Devin O'Malley in a statement late Monday. "The Justice Department will vindicate the President's lawful authority to direct the executive branch."Orrick's ruling came in lawsuits brought by two California counties, San Francisco and Santa Clara.