Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

'I'm Here to Enlighten You': The Legacy of Jerry Brown

52:27
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA) speaks during an event at the National Press Club April 17, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Outgoing California Governor Jerry Brown shared some farewell thoughts at the Sacramento Press Club on Tuesday, including a quintessential Brown disclaimer:“I’m not here to make news, I’m here to enlighten you.” Brown’s remarkable career includes serving as California governor (twice), state attorney general and mayor of Oakland. He leaves his successor, Gavin Newsom, a budget surplus and a slew of globally-recognized environmental protections. We’ll take stock of Brown’s legacy and look at his record on issues like climate change, criminal justice, water, and infrastructure. What moments in Jerry Brown’s leadership had the most effect on you?

Guests:

Scott Shafer, senior editor, KQED’s California Politics and Government desk; co-host of KQED's Political Breakdown podcast

Marisa Lagos, reporter, KQED's California Politics & Government Desk; co-host of KQED's Political Breakdown podcast

Craig Miller, science editor, KQED

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Violence Escalates in Sudan as Civil War Enters Second YearNPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Major Homelessness CasePercival Everett’s Novel “James” Recenters the Story of Huck FinnHave We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?